Karl`s PC Help Forums

A genius in the family
marymary100 - 13-8-2015 at 23:34

Pianist - aged 9

hyper polyglot

Pool

LSemmens - 14-8-2015 at 01:51

That kid on the piano is better than my cousin was and she was almost as good at a similar age. She met the qualifications to teach at age 12. And now runs programs for gifted children.

It will be interesting to see how my 4YO grandson ends up as he is displaying signs of being very gifted. Understands the concepts behind things. At three decided that the kitchen floor was a good place to set up the solar system complete with attendant moons and relative sizes (given the pots and pans he had at hand). Has been reading at beyond grade four level for some time. Currently is saving up to purchase an Xbox. Mum said, you save $100 and we'll pay the rest. (He now has $70). He will come up to mum, or dad, and says, What job can I do to earn a gold coin. He will then happily go and perform whatever task is requested. Often, it might be make your bed, or tidy his younger brother's room. He, fortunately, is not pretentious, but does not suffer fools gladly. One person sent to assess his development at 2 decided that he was not very bright because she treated him like many two year olds and he just plain ignored her (with the attitude of "if you don't know that that is a red ball, I'm not going to tell you). At that stage he was beginning to read and already knew what a dodecahedron and many other polygons were.

Quaver - 14-8-2015 at 10:07

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
already knew what a dodecahedron and many other polygons were.

Dodeca...? Something with 12 something?confused2
Are you telling me I'm more stupid than a 2 year old?waggyfinger:D

marymary100 - 14-8-2015 at 10:17

At 1 my daughter had words like broccoli, cappuccino and delicious in her vocabulary and she could read before going to school. Although she also played piano to teaching standard and guitar/violin to a lesser extent, she wasn't as gifted as that young boy at that age. Child genius, the TV programme, worried me as many of the parents seemed more into it than the children.

LSemmens - 14-8-2015 at 13:52

Therein lies the problem, Mary, sometimes the parents are pushing their kids which makes it likely that, as these kids get old enough to rebel, they may well do, and we'll lose another genius. We are quite impressed with our daughter in that she encourages his desire to learn but does not push. If he asks a question, then she answers it with the facts that she can garner from her friend (mr. Google) if she does not know herself. She never makes up an answer like often happens when the question about babies and their delivery comes up. Just recently she has had to teach him about death as she flew south to go to her Auntie's funeral.