Karl`s PC Help Forums

Dedicated father, diagnosed with terminal cancer, spends last months on letters, videos, and gifts for his two small children...
scholar - 23-7-2011 at 14:22

article here includes his "rules for life."

If you read the list, you will see that they very much reflect the way he chose to live his own life. (For example, he says to always choose the best you can afford in choices like hotels--something I've never read in an ethics book!)

What do you think?

Nimuae - 23-7-2011 at 14:41

What a remarkable man ! Thank you for posting that, Scholar.

scholar - 23-7-2011 at 14:58

doffs_cap

marymary100 - 23-7-2011 at 15:29

Remember the film "Sunshine" - wasn't that the same scenario, a mother leaving things for her daughter?

I think that when we know our time is limited we pack a lot into the little time we have left and our thoughts naturally turn to our children if they are young.

As to staying in the best room you can afford, why not?

Quaver - 23-7-2011 at 16:10

They are great advicekewl_glasses

I like skimping at hotels though (B&Bs and Travelodges), but hubby doesn't. So if he pays, we get to stay in a nice hotel, so win-win:D

scholar - 23-7-2011 at 17:44

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
As to staying in the best room you can afford, why not?

After you've checked out, what lasting benefit has the expenditure been?

I would be inclined to save a little money toward something that would last more than a couple of days.

marymary100 - 23-7-2011 at 20:00

I didn't say "Spend your last pittance" I said if you can afford it and there is a difference.

The lasting benefit is that I still have very fond memories of all the 5 star hotels I have stayed in and so-so memories of the lesser ones. The cities themselves are the same no matter where you stay but the luxury of holiday surroundings is important to me and most people I know.

Quaver - 24-7-2011 at 15:14

Where you stay can make all the difference to a holiday.

We went to Disneyland Paris twice, one was with my parents and we stayed at Disney's Newport bay hotel which was magicalkewl_glasses It was like staying inside Disneyland, with Minnie mouse and co. visiting us at breakfast. It made a great photo:)

The other one was nice but cheaper hotel just outside. No parents so it was exciting in a different way:D No breakfast was included, so we had some croissant at Disneyland which was good too:)

LSemmens - 25-7-2011 at 14:47

A close friend of ours did that for her daughters in her last months, too. It is a fitting tribute to a loving parent. This man's advice to his kids is much the same as my mother taught me as I grew (my father dies when I was three). As I have aged I have realised just what it was I missed out on by not having a father and that's not a "poor pitiful me" comment as my mother was a great role model. I would love to have known my dad. These kids get the chance, at least, of knowing something of him.