Karl`s PC Help Forums

Low level / high interest readers
marymary100 - 17-6-2009 at 19:34

Barrington Stoke

This company started out aiming mostly for the dyslexia market and so all their books are grown up themes with larger text size, off white paper to cut out glare and double spacing between lines. The vocabulary is geared to teens/adults who have a reading age of 7 or 8 or 9 depending on the group of books you select from.

I use them with teens who are reluctant readers and I was talking to a 6th year pupil today who said he was so relieved to see books which had the look of an adult book without making everything swim in front of his eyes. Boys who won't pick up regular books can't put these down.

There are primary level books as well.

John_Little - 17-6-2009 at 20:11

Got to be good. I wish my kids would have taken to reading. Both me and the Mrs are big readers. We also read a lot,

the bear - 17-6-2009 at 21:32

Reading is everything, I have always been an avid reader, yet when I was growing up the only reading matter in the house was the daily paper, mothers cook books and a large family bible.

Regards the Bear

waffler - 18-6-2009 at 01:17

Rewading is not one of my strong subjects even though spelling and english were my best subjects:)

the bear - 18-6-2009 at 03:53

Quote:
Originally posted by waffler
Rewading is not one of my strong subjects even though spelling and english were my best subjects:)

Perhaps if you had had a teacher like MM reading would be one of the joys in your life.

Regards the Bear

scholar - 18-6-2009 at 12:47

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Both me and the Mrs are big readers. We also read a lot,
Does this mean you and the wife are large people who read much?

LSemmens - 18-6-2009 at 14:25

A bit like the dyslexic atheist who denied the existence of dog!

The books sound great!

marymary100 - 19-6-2009 at 15:17

I had a fun day today. I managed to get the company added to the list of acceptable suppliers for my local authority and then spent hundreds of pounds on new books for the school. It was my early Christmas present from senior management apparently. :D

the bear - 20-6-2009 at 08:34

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
I had a fun day today. I managed to get the company added to the list of acceptable suppliers for my local authority and then spent hundreds of pounds on new books for the school. It was my early Christmas present from senior management apparently. :D

Way to go MM, the children will be delighted.

Regards the Bear

marymary100 - 20-6-2009 at 09:00

I'm setting up a paired reading scheme where the senior pupils will get a qualification at the end of the 12 week programme and the children will get sustained 1-1 support with their reading and their classwork. I'm over the moon. :)

liz - 11-10-2009 at 22:52

Even the most reluctant readers love the books I sell. I think the beautiful illustrations have a lot to do with it.

Now that we are making books for older kids, it opens up the reading field. :)
It's funny, my son will read chapter books but he also loves our simple Bear books (Bear at Home; Bear About Town; etc.)

With my son's 1st grade class, they have reading homework every single week night. They have to read out loud for 10-20 minutes and then put it in the reading log. It's really making a difference.