Fairy tales too scary for children
marymary100 - 13-1-2009 at 18:45

Oh dear, how did we survive?

Daz - 13-1-2009 at 20:45

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100

:)

Our wee fella won't do Jack and the beanstalk at the moment, or anything else with a giant. (BFG) He's fine with pretty much everything else, just not giants...!

scholar - 14-1-2009 at 05:12

Perhaps he would have a more favorable view of giants if he met and played with the Bear.

scholar - 14-1-2009 at 05:18

Quote:
I have read that fairy tales as printed in the 20th century were already somewhat tamer than their earlier tellings. One example I recall: in Cinderella, the ugly step-sisters cut off their toes in a futile attempt to fit their oversized feet into the glass slipper.scared_stiff

Quaver - 14-1-2009 at 06:38

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
step-sisters cut off their toes in a futile attempt to fit their oversized feet into the glass slipper.scared_stiff

lips_sealed

Daz - 14-1-2009 at 09:15

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Perhaps he would have a more favorable view of giants if he met and played with the Bear.

He has no problems with bears, or giant bears. And I'm not in the habit of handing my child over to strangers across the internet. No matter how nice they may seem. FGS.

janet - 14-1-2009 at 09:40

A simple look at any text on the history of folklore might be instructive.

The original shoes Cinderella wore were fur. The sisters were made to dance in iron shoes heated to red hot, and so on.

Mary2 - 14-1-2009 at 13:05

A mistranslation of the French iirc.:)

DeWitch - 14-1-2009 at 15:19

No wonder I love scary movies so much nowscared_stiff:)

As I child I had a large set of multi-colored books that I read from cover to cover more than once.
I believe they were Grimm's Fairy Tales since there are many titles on the list at that link that I remember.

I am so glad you posted this and I looked that up.
I so wish I still had those old books, I truly loved them.
At least now I can read them again:)

marymary100 - 14-1-2009 at 17:12

Yes I grew up with them too - kind of explains a lot :D

DeWitch - 15-1-2009 at 04:09

Quote:
Yes I grew up with them too - kind of explains a lot :D

ha haha
you did mean Grimm's right;)

Nimuae - 15-1-2009 at 09:20

Parents object to Snow White - but happily allow Dr Who ?
Big Bad Wolf is wrong - but Tom and Jerry, Pop-eye and Bluto, transformers and warmongers are fine ?

The world has either gone completely mad - or is failing to credit children with any form of intelligence !

LSemmens - 15-1-2009 at 12:17

With you there, Nim! Our tribe all grew up learning fact from fiction and had no problem with brothers Grimm or Transformers! Our Eldest was on a few weeks old when we took him to see Alien, at the movies. Everytime it was "edge of the seat" stuff he would let out a little sigh! Time the movie was finished the whole place was laughing as there would be this faint, but audible sigh.