Karl`s PC Help Forums

Where's the time gone...?
Daz - 7-9-2008 at 00:35

Out little fella starts Pre-School on Monday, I can't believe where the time has gone already...!

Mrs Daz is getting worked up, at the thought of leaving him. Not that she has to do so straight away, but she knows deep down he's not going to need her there, and she's finding the "letting go" stage a bit difficult ATM. (I'm sure when the time has come, she'll wonder why she got herself in such a tizzy.)

ATM, it looks like they'll be kicking her out because if they leave it up to her to decide, she'll be with him until he starts High School...! :D ;)

Just thought I'd share that, and maybe some of you Mums will have some words of wisdom I can share with her... ;) ('Cos she ain't listening to me...!) :D

scholar - 7-9-2008 at 01:44

Mrs. Daz, it will be easier for him if you don't make a fuss, and you make a clean break (don't make a big deal out of the good-bye, don't linger at the door, etc.).

I understand it's not uncommon for such a child to cry until his mind goes on to something else (which may happen pretty quickly, once you are out of sight and he sees other kids to play with and new things to handle). But, if you are all upset about parting, he is sure to pick up on it and get more upset too.waveysmiley

Daz - 7-9-2008 at 02:51

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Mrs. Daz, it will be easier for him if you don't make a fuss, and you make a clean break (don't make a big deal out of the good-bye, don't linger at the door, etc.).

I understand it's not uncommon for such a child to cry until his mind goes on to something else (which may happen pretty quickly, once you are out of sight and he sees other kids to play with and new things to handle). But, if you are all upset about parting, he is sure to pick up on it and get more upset too.waveysmiley

You haven't read the OP properly Scholar, it's Mrs D that'll have the issues, not my lad... Very much doubt he'll shed any tears...!

scholar - 7-9-2008 at 06:03

I did understand the concern was with Mrs. Daz, O Daz. I thought she might be motivated to becalm herself if she thought it would be helpful to the little guy.

But I did indeed think that, with her being so attached, he might get a cue to become upset if he saw her upset. Doesn't he sometimes mirror her feelings, to some degree?:)

marymary100 - 7-9-2008 at 09:17

As a teacher I'd seen too many children upset and clingy on the first day because of their parents so I started months before telling my daughter what a lucky girl she was to be going to the real school instead of the playgroup, buying the uniform in stages, reading lots of school based stories, going to the playground when it was empty to get a "feel" for the surroundings etc.

We took photos of her in uniform and I waved bye bye with a huge cheery grin. She never looked back - literally and metaphorically. She loved school and excelled academically and is just about to start at uni and most probably move into a shared flat very shortly. My tears, such as they are, are always private as it is a parent's job, imo, to prepare their child for an independent life.

janet - 7-9-2008 at 09:41

Wry grin - when I worked in a preschool, we had a lad who cried when mum left, and when he heard her car turn the corner to pick him up - otherwise, he was fine. We finally got mum to sneak back in one day just to prove it to her!

I understand Mrs D's feelings, but I'm sure she'll be fine once the little one's been going a while. If it's any help, I was really, really upset when YS left to go to preschool, school, and then uni - but he's fine and I'm fine and it all worked out. :)

Daz - 7-9-2008 at 11:06

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
I understand Mrs D's feelings, but I'm sure she'll be fine once the little one's been going a while. If it's any help, I was really, really upset when YS left to go to preschool, school, and then uni - but he's fine and I'm fine and it all worked out. :)

You mean I've got to go through this each time he starts a new school...? Great, thanks for that...! :D ;)

No, seriously, thanks. ;)

Daz - 7-9-2008 at 11:11

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
As a teacher I'd seen too many children upset and clingy on the first day because of their parents so I started months before telling my daughter what a lucky girl she was to be going to the real school instead of the playgroup, buying the uniform in stages, reading lots of school based stories, going to the playground when it was empty to get a "feel" for the surroundings etc.

He's not the clingy sort, and he will be absolutely fine, but we've been preparing him anyway, and he's already had an introductory session there, so he knows what to expect.

The only issue is getting Mrs D to accept what she knows already, that he will be fine, and he won't need her there for very long at all...

Quaver - 7-9-2008 at 17:51

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
You mean I've got to go through this each time he starts a new school...? Great, thanks for that...! :D ;)

roffle

marymary100 - 7-9-2008 at 18:25

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Quote:

He's not the clingy sort, and he will be absolutely fine, but we've been preparing him anyway, and he's already had an introductory session there, so he knows what to expect.

The only issue is getting Mrs D to accept what she knows already, that he will be fine, and he won't need her there for very long at all...
Transition arrangements are much better than they were when mine was 5. There's free nursery provision now so all children already have some experience of doing organised activities with other children and listening to stories for example. When my daughter was under 5 we needed to pay for any playgroups etc and learning was play-based.
It's hard to let them go, but it is what we must do - unless she wants to be a home educator.

Daz - 7-9-2008 at 20:38

Quote:
unless she wants to be a home educator.

Sshhh! Let's not even go there....!!! lips_sealed :D ;)

shywitch - 8-9-2008 at 09:25

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

it's Mrs D that'll have the issues, not my lad... Very much doubt he'll shed any tears...!

Mrs Daz... you'll just have to be a big brave girl and let him go. You don't want him to think that he has made his mummy cry! ;)

After a few days (or a week or so)... you'll be glad of the extra free time and I'm sure you'll find things to do.

Daz - 8-9-2008 at 09:37

Quote:
Originally posted by shywitch
I'm sure you'll find things to do.

Hmm, I like the sound of that....! ;) smokin: kewl_glasses

Big brave girl, is not something that comes to mind when referring to Mrs D, she has many, many great qualities and aspects to her, but braveness is not one of them...! ;) :D ;)

Dreamweaver - 26-9-2008 at 20:13

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Out little fella starts Pre-School on Monday, I can't believe where the time has gone already...!

Mrs Daz is getting worked up, at the thought of leaving him. Not that she has to do so straight away, but she knows deep down he's not going to need her there, and she's finding the "letting go" stage a bit difficult ATM. (I'm sure when the time has come, she'll wonder why she got herself in such a tizzy.)

ATM, it looks like they'll be kicking her out because if they leave it up to her to decide, she'll be with him until he starts High School...! :D ;)

Just thought I'd share that, and maybe some of you Mums will have some words of wisdom I can share with her... ;) ('Cos she ain't listening to me...!) :D

How did it go Daz? Did mrs Daz get through it OK....
I bet she is loving the extra time now?

Daz - 26-9-2008 at 22:52

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver

She's been ok actually, she's left him a few times, but stayed a few too... Today was probably the least traumatic day so far... ;)

Extra time, whassat....?!!!

Thanks for asking Dot. :)

Dreamweaver - 26-9-2008 at 23:31

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver

She's been ok actually, she's left him a few times, but stayed a few too... Today was probably the least traumatic day so far... ;)

Extra time, whassat....?!!!

Thanks for asking Dot. :)

Believe me Daz :) She will soon wonder what she worried at :)

*waits for the "Omigod where has the time gone!! I gotta back*

My niece is going through exactly the same traumas ..

LSemmens - 28-9-2008 at 12:25

My grand daughter started school recently and we just had to drive 700Km home to be there in time for her first school concert. We arrived just in time to see her get up on stage with her class and sing "It's a wonderful world". She was far less nervous doing that than she was as a flower girl for her Auntie's (My daughter) wedding two weeks ago.

Kids adapt very quickly, so do dads, it's always the mums and grand mums that need surgical amputation of the apron strings! (don't tell Mrs D I said that! lips_sealed)

Daz - 28-9-2008 at 23:23

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
(don't tell Mrs D I said that! lips_sealed)

Damn it, if only you'd posted that a few weeks ago, I could have blamed you then....! :D

Daz - 4-1-2010 at 19:12

Big day tomorrow!

First day at proper school. shocked_yellow

Time really does fly when you're having fun. :D

marymary100 - 4-1-2010 at 19:13

Sure does - it's great though. :)

Daz - 4-1-2010 at 19:18

Quote:
Sure does - it's great though. :)

He'll love it. And so will I, I'll have time to get things done again! :D

marymary100 - 4-1-2010 at 19:33

And there's the added bonus that he'll be tired enough initially to go to bed early.

Daz - 4-1-2010 at 19:42

kewl_glasses

victor - 4-1-2010 at 22:43

Quote:

Kids adapt very quickly, so do dads, it's always the mums and grand mums that need surgical amputation of the apron strings! (don't tell Mrs D I said that! lips_sealed)

That's true Liegh our granddaughter is coming up for eight and school starts again tomorrow so what were Mrs V and the youngster doing all today homework that should have been done over the holiday. :)

Quaver - 5-1-2010 at 00:18

Quote:
Originally posted by victor
Quote:

That's true Liegh our granddaughter is coming up for eight and school starts again tomorrow so what were Mrs V and the youngster doing all today homework that should have been done over the holiday. :)

Doing the homework at the last minute is good, it gets us back to speed before the term startskewl_glasses
If done immediately after the school finishes, one could forget everything by the time school starts;)

waffler - 5-1-2010 at 01:58

My daughter screamed blue murder first day and after that she loved it :D

Daz - 6-1-2010 at 11:57

One morning at school, then he gets to not go in today because of the snow! Jammy little sod, I don't remember getting days off because of the snow!

Doesn't look like he'll be going tomorrow either!

:D