Karl`s PC Help Forums

Child's name story
scholar - 5-1-2008 at 15:52

I just heard a caller on a radio show give her name as "Sweetie." The hosts asked about the name.

"Well, my dad started to call me Sweetie before I was even born. I do have another name, but I don't let anyone know it. The mayor and everybody else calls me Sweetie."

What a wonderful gift that father gave her baby girl! For her whole life, she will think of herself as Dad's Sweetie.:)


Does anyone have a nice name story to share?


LSemmens - 6-1-2008 at 06:38

I've always called my daughter "Pie", at 26, she is still my "little meat pie"

It started out as a joke when she was a baby, and it stuck. It was meant to be a nice sweet "strawberry shortcake" type of name which described her to a tee, but as a baby, like all others, she'd sit there and look cute, but could do nothing for herself, so she sat there like a "lump of meat", which, strictly speaking, is what we all are. I called her "my little meat pie" and still do!


the bear - 6-1-2008 at 07:23

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I've always called my daughter "Pie", at 26, she is still my "little meat pie"

It started out as a joke when she was a baby, and it stuck. It was meant to be a nice sweet "strawberry shortcake" type of name which described her to a tee, but as a baby, like all others, she'd sit there and look cute, but could do nothing for herself, so she sat there like a "lump of meat", which, strictly speaking, is what we all are. I called her "my little meat pie" and still do!


Its strange how childhood endearments tend to be forever,

My youngest son, now 36 still gets Muffin from his mum now and again.

when my eldest boy was just starting to talk, he couldnt manage to say Grandad, it ended up being "Bampy" which was shortened to Bamp as he got older. Both boys called my dad Bamp till the day he died ( at 85). infact they still refer to him as Bamp in conversation even now.

Regards the Bear.


LSemmens - 6-1-2008 at 07:42

Friends have always been "Bah" and "Grandy" since their first grandchildren started to talk.


the bear - 6-1-2008 at 07:47

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Friends have always been "Bah" and "Grandy" since their first grandchildren started to talk.


Last Christmas my granddaughter was a little less vocal than this year, but she still managed to label Father Christmas as "HO HO"


Best regards the Bear


janet - 6-1-2008 at 10:33

Wry grin - one of the things I miss is that there is now no one alive who calls me by my family nickname- nor would it feel right for anyone else to start doing so.


marymary100 - 6-1-2008 at 10:45

My daughter calls my mother Bibi which is Arabic for mother of the mother. It suits my mother's vanity as she isn't called Gran and it suited my daughter when she was small.


the bear - 6-1-2008 at 10:46

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
Wry grin - one of the things I miss is that there is now no one alive who calls me by my family nickname- nor would it feel right for anyone else to start doing so.



Janet the end of an era, I hope your left with loads of majical memories.

Very best regards, the Bear


janet - 6-1-2008 at 11:04

I have wonderful memories. :)


TooCute4Words - 7-1-2008 at 20:53

I have been called 'Baby' a few times :D

But to call a Baby, 'Baby' would be silly really. There again, Tarzan did call his son 'Boy' :cool:


scholar - 7-1-2008 at 21:02

My mother's childhood nickname was Toot or Tootie. (Toot, in this case, rhymes with put.) I still have one aunt who would think of her by that name, and one older cousin. Everyone else is gone.


TooCute4Words - 7-1-2008 at 21:13

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
My mother's childhood nickname was Toot or Tootie. (Toot, in this case, rhymes with put.) I still have one aunt who would think of her by that name, and one older cousin. Everyone else is gone.


My girlfriend Sandra uses that expression tough tooti It's really addictive and annoying to some too.

Now I use it :D


Theravad - 7-1-2008 at 21:16

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar



Does anyone have a nice name story to share?


A boy named Sue springs to mind....:)

My elder brother was named 'Dos' at skool cos he wore a Donkey jacket and resembled a Dosser. Being his younger brother I was Dos Jnr for many, many years (despite changing skools).

T


scholar - 7-1-2008 at 21:47

DOS? Disk Operating System? confused2

I've never heard Dosser.confused2


janet - 7-1-2008 at 21:51

Google is your friend


marymary100 - 7-1-2008 at 22:01

:D


Dreamweaver - 7-1-2008 at 22:10

I have 4 brothers who were are called Ev0 at some stage (Evans) it could be strange when all 4 were together and someone shouted "Hey Evo" all 4 shouted what!!! lol


scholar - 7-1-2008 at 22:33

That reminds me of the 6-year-old who got separated from Mom in the store. He yelled, "Elizabeth!! ELIZABETH!!!"

She came running, mighty surprised to be called by her first name. "What's gotten into you, calling me Elizabeth?"

"Well, if I yelled 'MOM,' everyone would have responded. I only wanted you."


TooCute4Words - 7-1-2008 at 22:50

Quote:
Originally posted by Theravad


A boy named Sue springs to mind....:)



Johnny Cash couldn't have said it any better ;)


Theravad - 8-1-2008 at 13:37

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver
I have 4 brothers who were are called Ev0 at some stage (Evans) it


<hide condition="Hide from politically correct readers">

It reminded me of the story of the chav single mother who was being interviewed by the benefits agency about her 7 children. One of the aspects of her claim that was puzzling the agency was that all the children seemed to have the same name .. Wayne. When asked about this she said it was quite simple, she could scream out the window "Wayne, your dinner's ready" or "Wayne, go to bed" and they would all comply .. makes life simple. "But what if you want to address a single child" asked the bemused officer, "Simple", she replied, "I call em by their surname" :D

T


LSemmens - 9-1-2008 at 12:57

Simon - Har har har!


the bear - 9-1-2008 at 14:16

Quote:
Originally posted by Theravad
Quote:
Originally posted by scholar



Does anyone have a nice name story to share?


A boy named Sue springs to mind....:)

My elder brother was named 'Dos' at skool cos he wore a Donkey jacket and resembled a Dosser. Being his younger brother I was Dos Jnr for many, many years (despite changing skools).

T


I had a mate at school whom every body called Mouldy, his proper name was Graham, ie Grey- Ham, I wonder were he is today?


Regards the Bear


liz - 20-1-2008 at 23:45

I call my son a few cute names. The one that he answers to most is Roo.

Some people think it's short for Rudy or Ruben, etc. Nope...it's just Roo. :)


TooCute4Words - 21-1-2008 at 00:14

Quote:
Originally posted by liz
I call my son a few cute names. The one that he answers to most is Roo.

Some people think it's short for Rudy or Ruben, etc. Nope...it's just Roo. :)



I think a lot of people are lazy with names. Everybody has to shorten it to a One syllable name

Like you said,

Rudy to Roo
Elizabeth to Liz
David to Dave
Dorothy to Dot
Simon to Si


janet - 21-1-2008 at 00:20

Heh. Not in my family - well, birth family, and I've carried on the tradition with our two. We had to find names that my family could do the southern US thing with - Take first name, abbreviate it, add second name.

I have an aunt whose name apparently is Rebecca Louise - I've only *ever* heard her called "BayLou". :)


TooCute4Words - 21-1-2008 at 01:00

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
Heh. Not in my family - well, birth family, and I've carried on the tradition with our two. We had to find names that my family could do the southern US thing with - Take first name, abbreviate it, add second name.

I have an aunt whose name apparently is Rebecca Louise - I've only *ever* heard her called "BayLou". :)


What about Bec

Jan also short for January :P


scholar - 21-1-2008 at 12:53

Quote:
Originally posted by liz
I call my son a few cute names. The one that he answers to most is Roo.

Some people think it's short for Rudy or Ruben, etc. Nope...it's just Roo. :)
As in the Winnie the Pooh stories. in which the mother's name was "Kanga." :D:D:D