Karl`s PC Help Forums

Aquarium water
scholar - 15-12-2014 at 00:50

I usually buy water from a machine at one of the Kroger grocery stores. You bring your own water jug/bottle, and there are three ways the machine processes the water to make it pure, more cheaply than the classic "distilled water." It costs half the price of a similar bottle of water still sealed at the store.

I asked Ruby to get some water, and poured some of what she brought into our tropical fish aquarium. I expected her to get some from the machine

I just noticed that the water she brought home says it is municipal-source water (tap water, essentially) that has been carbon-filtered and ozonated.

I'm sure that the water machine water had three processes, not two. I'm wondering if this water is pure enough for my fishies.

I do have a carbon filter and bio-filter on my aquarium. I want any water I add to replace evaporation to be essentially mineral-free, so that the minerals in the water do not become increasingly concentrated.

[Yes, Marymary, I could look it up, and will do so if no one volunteers information. But it may serve as a topic of conversation here.];)

I remember when when we had a sub-forum dedicated to pond fish.

John_Little - 15-12-2014 at 10:26

Well, I'm not an expert but we did have some fish once. What I learnt was that you can use tap water but not straight away. You have to splash it into the pond/tank to get the flouride and stuff out and then leave it for a while before puttting the fish in. Or you could fill a bucket with water from a great height so it splashes a lot and then leave it a day or so.

But what do I know.

LSemmens - 15-12-2014 at 22:59

You are correct, John. It's years since I had fish, but tap water can be used only after being "sterilised" by letting sit in a bucket for some time and the addition of a chemical neutraliser for the chlorine and flouride that was added to our water. (At the time I lived in the tropics so chlorine was necessary to minimise algal growth.) Be aware that the water temp must also be equalised with that in the aquarium.

Katzy - 16-12-2014 at 11:08

You can get some stuff to put into tap water, to make it OK for fish.

Something like this:

http://www.aquameds.com/water-conditioners/dechlor-more

I used to keep Koi and all sorts. Never had any problems, at all. We got them at about three inches long and watched them grow to something like two feet long. :D

John_Little - 16-12-2014 at 16:52

Couldn't get many of those in a sandwich.

Katzy - 17-12-2014 at 11:59

Unless you had a big loaf. :)

waffler - 19-12-2014 at 05:09

http://www.tetra-fish.com/products.aspx

Look Here waveysmiley