Karl`s PC Help Forums

Cats
marymary100 - 23-7-2013 at 22:25

I am a "dog person" and although I don't mind cats I wouldn't ever get one because I live next to a busy road.

My friend that I went to visit tonight has two cats. One just loves to be petted and is a bit of a slut about who it will accept attention from - anyone will do. Tonight it was me. He let me pet him for about half an hour on my knee (not invited I might add) before promptly falling asleep and going into some adventure in dreamland. His owner said that the cat scolds them if they leave him in the house to go to work and that he is particularly bereft if they go on holiday. However the other day she went outside to find him growling at the dogs next door. He has somehow learned to growl just like they do and he will not back down from a fight - hence why he has only one eye.

The other cat is more what I think of as cats - i.e. he owns the house and lets the humans feed him and is disdainful of visitors.

So, those of you with cats - what are their quirks?

victor - 23-7-2013 at 22:35

I make no bones about it I hate cats, they are the biggest destroyer of bird life always prowling around for something to destroy but not eat and they mess in anyones garden but their owners, nasty evil things.

Katzy - 24-7-2013 at 09:37

Before he died, Cid used to go "WOOF!" at other cats, which was a bit odd.

Quirks?

Cats are like humans, in that. Every single one of them has quirks by the shed-load.

Our Tomas is a HUGE cat, weighing in at just under two stone.

Yet, he's a total wuss. He's even scared of the laundry basket.

Funny thing, though. When it's "Come in for the night" time, he goes and rounds Flossy up, like he's a sheepdog.

Flossy snores. LOUDLY. When it's "Feed me!" time, she sits and kinda miaows. But, it sounds more like she's quacking, like a duck.

Nimuae - 24-7-2013 at 11:10

Willow:

4 years old, smokey blue/grey and white. Rescue cat - came from an abusive background and is antisocial to anyone but me. Disappears into the bedroom when I have guests. I can pick her up and cuddle her, but she runs from anyone else. Quite happy in her own company, but likes to play when she is in the mood. Growls like a tiger when upset by ...

Nemo:

Two year old tabby and white. Stunning looking cat. Came from a very loving home - his owners were distraught at having to part with him, but their new landlord insisted. Very sociable cat, likes the whole world. Loves me - follows me around everywhere. Would play all day given half a chance. By far the most intelligent cat I have ever owned - thinks things through. Can, and does, switch on lights, press buttons to change discs on the 5 disc CD player, open any door or drawer, and adores all things mechanical.

Katzy - 24-7-2013 at 14:53

I think that's why I switched from dogs, to cats.

Cats are way more independent than dogs. If you're late home and there's no tea, a cat will feed and look after itself. (We're doomed if they ever work out how to open tins).

Dogs will do what they're told, most of the time. Cats'll do exactly what they want, when they want.

Oh, they'll do what they're told, if it suits them, of course. :D

But, if a cat snuggles-up and that kinda thing, it's doing so, because it WANTS to.

Ours were both severely damaged, before we got them. Although Tomas is still a bit of a scaredy-cat, he's quite comfortable, with us.

When we first got Flossy, she was pretty aggressive and the claws and teeth used to come out, very quickly. Although, knowing cats, we knew that the last thing you do, when a cat scratches, is try to pull away. She wasn't, really, biting, or scratching. She was holding you, with her teeth/claws, as if to say "Off limits. Don't do that!".

In all honesty, I can't remember the last time she did that, coz she's OK with most things, now.

Patience really is a virtue, with cats.

Nimuae - 24-7-2013 at 16:13

It certainly is.

What a lot of people fail to grasp is that you cannot treat a cat in the same manner as a dog.

Dogs have owners - cats have staff. Once you come to terms with that everything is harmonious!

Katzy - 24-7-2013 at 16:26

It's worth it, though, just for the purr. :D

If we're upstairs, we can hear Flossy purring, if she's downstairs!

She's like a softened road drill!

Big, butch Tomas has a tiny little purr and, when he miaows for food, or something, he has a right girly little mewl.

Nimuae - 24-7-2013 at 19:10

Willow has a very loud purr - but a very quiet meow.

Nemo - is just LOUD!

LSemmens - 25-7-2013 at 01:31

No pets at the moment. We had two cats and a dog when the kids were small. Firstly we got a ginger tom, who was the only pet. When we sold our first home, he bolted, did not want to move. We moved into rental accommodation sans cat. Whislt there a dog wandered into the yard, riddled with ticks and starving. He looked like a nice dog, so we fed him, if he stayed, well and good, if he left, ok. He stayed. When the home we were building, Rusty (the dog) came too. The kids missed T.C. (first cat) so we went and got another from the RSPCA. Mambo soon got settled into the routine of Dog, outside, cat Inside! After about six months, friends, who live a street away from our previous abode rang and said that they'd seen T.C. prowling their yard. So we said, if you can, catch him as we did not want him eating the wildlife etc. Anyway, a couple of moths later, we get another call saying that he is sitting on their lounge. We come to pick him up. So, he comes home, and finds two "impostors" living in "his" home. In the end the pecking order is sorted out. T.C. becomes the inside cat, Mambo and the dog, outside. Anytime there is a "fight" it was always T.C. against the Dog and the other cat.

marymary100 - 25-7-2013 at 10:00

Drama queen

[bad img]http://i.imgur.com/I0NJcbF.jpg[/bad img]

Katzy - 25-7-2013 at 10:13

[bad img]http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/giggle.gif[/bad img]

Interesting life you have, there, Leigh... :)

LSemmens - 25-7-2013 at 10:52

TC eventually passed away at a ripe old age only after seeing off a dog that had wandered into our front yard which was not fenced. :D
Rusty, the Dog, died of cancer a couple of years later, and Mambo, the last cat, moved to Adelaide with us. He stayed for about 2 months and then decided to "go walkabout", we never saw him again. We are currently "babysitting" Max, our son's family pet, as the home that they have moved into is not yet dog friendly!

marymary100 - 30-7-2013 at 12:19

Sad Cat diary

LSemmens - 31-7-2013 at 00:44

Quite clever.

marymary100 - 15-8-2013 at 16:38

Well that's special!

Katzy - 15-8-2013 at 19:55

If a bit mental... ;)

Here's a list that'll make you go...

[bad img]http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac267/df853/omg-cat.jpg[/bad img]

http://www.cpnewcastle.co.uk/plantstoxictocats.htm

scholar - 15-8-2013 at 20:07

Yikes! What a list!

Who would have thought common clover--which I sometimes chew for its sweetness--would be poisonous to cats?

Katzy - 15-8-2013 at 20:27

Or something as innocuous as sage?

LSemmens - 16-8-2013 at 01:11

The botanical names on that list may have been useful, some I do not recognise at all. "Australian Nut" being one of them!!!

Katzy - 16-8-2013 at 13:23

Going off at a slight tangent, did you know that cats, actually, have a keener sense of smell than dogs? They have a second "nose", in the roof of their mouths, called the "vomeronasal organ" that means they have thirty receptors, to the dog's mere nine.

So, now, you know. :D

scholar - 16-8-2013 at 14:43

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Or something as innocuous as sage?

Cue "Scarborough Fair.";)

marymary100 - 24-8-2013 at 14:29

Caught

Katzy - 24-8-2013 at 17:19

[bad img]http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/owned.gif[/bad img]

Nimuae - 24-8-2013 at 21:00

Quote:
Going off at a slight tangent, did you know that cats, actually, have a keener sense of smell than dogs? They have a second "nose", in the roof of their mouths, called the "vomeronasal organ" that means they have thirty receptors, to the dog's mere nine.

So, now, you know. :D

Yes - that is why you sometimes see them open their mouths and seem to grimace at an interesting smell.waveysmiley

marymary100 - 1-9-2013 at 09:33

Laundry assistant

[bad img]http://i.imgur.com/N3jGK8k.gif[/bad img]

Katzy - 1-9-2013 at 19:33

What is it, with cats and laundry baskets?

Flossy keeps knocking ours over and sleeping in it!

marymary100 - 1-9-2013 at 19:58

I like cats that find entertainment in the mundane.

Katzy - 2-9-2013 at 15:07

Flossy's funny, like that. Occasionally, she'll get into chasing invisible mice around.

There's nothing there, at all. She'll just race around, all excited, like, chasing absolutely nothing. :D

She's quite good at inventing little games, for herself, too.

Fascinating to watch.

Nimuae - 2-9-2013 at 15:39

Quote:
What is it, with cats and laundry baskets?

Flossy keeps knocking ours over and sleeping in it!

I bet she wouldn't sleep in it if you gave it to her as a cat bed!waveysmiley

scholar - 2-9-2013 at 16:15

Quote:
Flossy's funny, like that. Occasionally, she'll get into chasing invisible mice around.

There's nothing there, at all. She'll just race around, all excited, like, chasing absolutely nothing. :D

Some people credit cats and dogs--or, at least certain cats and dogs--with the ability to perceive non-physical creatures (spirits or ghosts, for example). Might Flossy have such an ability?

LSemmens - 2-9-2013 at 23:57

She might..........but I don't think so. I might go to the moon, too.

Katzy - 3-9-2013 at 14:13

She's probably just having what we call "A daft half-hour". :)

Odd thing, Nim... We bought an igloo, ages ago, for the cats. Ever since we've had it, one of our cats has "owned" it.

Flossy decided that it was hers, the moment she moved in. She sleeps in it, every night. :D

Come to that, she decided that almost everything else is hers, too.

marymary100 - 7-9-2013 at 09:21

What do you mean I'm not invited?

marymary100 - 18-9-2013 at 16:21

[bad img]http://i.imgur.com/zF4d8wA.jpg[/bad img]

The cone of pain

waffler - 18-9-2013 at 21:41

Dang cats breeding under my house again :D

marymary100 - 25-9-2013 at 16:53

http://i.imgur.com/mma5UVo.gif

Redwolf5150 - 25-9-2013 at 23:23

[bad img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/92313-2_0019SleepingBiggey_zpsd998436e.jpg[/bad img]