Karl`s PC Help Forums

Postmen and Dogs
TooCute4Words - 22-4-2008 at 22:39

I have had three Dogs in my lifetime and each and everyone of them has a serious problem with 'Postmen'.

Perhaps it is just instinct for most dogs to dislike them and when he see him coming towards our house, our Dog looks though our net curtains, he jumps up and barks and runs to the front door while the Postman puts the letters through our letterbox and barks and barks.

I know that being a Postman must be hard, as they must be aware that Dogs don't like them.

One day - while going to the door to a Postman, who had a parcel for me, our Dog barged through the door and ran towards the Postman. I say (Ran towards) as the Postman dived off backwards saying, Wo!! Wo!! whatever language that is? hahaha!! :D anyway, fortunately our Dog only barked and didn't attack him

But some dogs do.

So the answer is basically, if you want to be a Postman, don't expect to be liked by Dogs - thats all I can say really,

well...except, Woof! Woof! :P

giron - 22-4-2008 at 22:46

Most dogs seem to have a desire to ' protect ' their owners property, so they tend to bark when a stranger approaches the door.

Even if you have a regular post person, the dog might be reacting to the uniform?

the bear - 23-4-2008 at 00:34

Our small yorkie barks at everybody more in excitement that anything (she would lick you to death before she would bit you ).

My older dog, a big hairy monster ( Wolfhound, Bearded collie cross) is so laid back he seldom gets that excited to bark at any body except the postman, he's always done it.

Its a DOG thing

Regards the Bear

Redwolf5150 - 23-4-2008 at 01:16

It's been scientifically proven that this is a genetic trait passed down from back in the days when dogs were first domesticated.

Back when the first cave dog was hit by a slategram dropped through the chute of the cave door.

Dogs have haded deliverers of posts since.

kewl_glasses

the bear - 23-4-2008 at 02:05

Could it be that word has got round the canine world that Postmen taste good???

Regards the Bear

Daz - 23-4-2008 at 09:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
It's been scientifically proven that this is a genetic trait passed down from back in the days when dogs were first domesticated.

Back when the first cave dog was hit by a slategram dropped through the chute of the cave door.

Dogs have haded deliverers of posts since.

kewl_glasses

I've suspected as much for many a year now... Nice to hear it's been confirmed, thanks Red... ;)

smokin:

LSemmens - 23-4-2008 at 13:39

Giron! You're slipping, your first response was almost helpful!brshteeth

Of course a dog will protect his property. Think of it like this:
Postman comes along
Dog barks
Postman goes away
Dog happy - property is safe!

Next day

Postman comes along
Dog barks
Postman goes away