Karl`s PC Help Forums

Neuter or Spay is the question, or is it the answer?
Dreamweaver - 31-12-2007 at 18:20

I just heard an interesting fact from a Mexican dog rescue centre on TV.
They were having a neuter/spay drive at the time.

One female dog and her offspring can create 67,000 dogs within six years if left to "nature".

Personally all my pets are spayed/neutered, both from an unwanted litter, but also because its healthier for the pet if you don't intend breeding.

marymary100 - 31-12-2007 at 18:41

That's a scary statistic!

janet - 31-12-2007 at 18:56

Seven will be spayed as soon as the vet says it's ok to do so.... she's already chipped.

LSemmens - 1-1-2008 at 03:52

The stat is indeed scary, all of our pets have also "had the chop" at the appropriate time. Like most of the other pet owners here, our pets are our responsibility and we have no desire to "inflict" our pets upon others.

Hal - 1-1-2008 at 15:46

I have mixed feelings about spaying Prissy. I didn't want to cage or diaper her, and didn't want couch spotting when she came into heat, so she was spayed for my convenience. She is a chihuahua mix with the sweetest personality I've ever seen in a small dog. (12 lbs.) She doesn't beg by barking or whining, only barks at the doorbell, until I get up to answer it and loves everyone. She will bark at squirrels, but stands quietly at the gate when someone passes on the street and hopes they will stop by for a face licking. Children as well as old folks are welcome to visit her. There are probably similar small dogs out there, I just have only seen the noisy barking kind, and do sometimes wonder if my selfishness denied someone else an irreplaceable pet like mine.

scholar - 1-1-2008 at 16:14

Prissy sounds like the dog everyone hopes theirs will turn out to be.

I see you're just ready to hit the 100-post-mark, Hal. I think you will change from a "familiar face" to something else (I haven't checked what. :o)

Swish Checkley - 1-1-2008 at 17:35

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver
One female dog and her offspring can create 67,000 dogs within six years if left to "nature".

Blimey! That's lot of dogs! shocked_yellow

Quaver - 2-1-2008 at 08:20

Quote:
Originally posted by Swish Checkley
Quote:

Six dog years... would that be 6 generations? I wonder how many humans would be able to create in 6 generationsconfused2

Dreamweaver - 2-1-2008 at 10:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver

Six dog years... would that be 6 generations? I wonder how many humans would be able to create in 6 generationsconfused2

Female dogs can give birth every 6-10 months dendant on size/breed. shocked_yellow

Litter size can vary between 1 and 10 in normal dogs.

Theravad - 2-1-2008 at 15:09

Quote:
Originally posted by Swish Checkley
Quote:

But any statistic like this is really meaningless as the expansion is tempered by factors such as:

(1) Removal of breeding stock by illness/impotence/inbred gene pool
(2) Physical constraints (enough area to support
(3) Sufficient supply of fresh water and food

Similar rules hold true for humans too I guess :) We just add more factors such as (a) stupidity (see darwin awards) (b) war (c) violence etc etc etc

T

TooCute4Words - 7-1-2008 at 15:30

We have a lovely Alsation cross and we had him neutered as previous dogs which we've had tend to get too randy for words :) and try and mount us. *laughs*

Anyway, I would recommend it, even though to some people it can seem pretty cruel or unethical.