Karl`s PC Help Forums

Shared Training Tips.
runrig - 28-11-2007 at 09:03

Now that we have a Pets Forum (Thanks Dot !) I thought it might be a good idea to swap training tips.
We all want our Pets to behave well and be good mannered but this does not always work out and training can be difficult. Have you had a particular problem with your Pet that you cannot rectify?.....Perhaps someone here has had the same problem and maybe able to help you. We all like to think our Pets as perfect but of course they are not, you can always train your Pet to be better or it may have a bad habit that you just cant get rid of.
I would be glad to help and share my experience with anyone who is having problems and I have a few of my own that I hope someone maybe able to help me with.
Do you think its a good idea or has it all been done before.
I will post my problems later and I hope someone maybe able to help me.
waveysmileywaveysmileywaveysmiley

Swish Checkley - 28-11-2007 at 09:14

My problem is stopping my cat sharpening his claws on the carpet! He has a scratching post which of course he does not use :P He also has two door mats for the same purpose that he does use and also the lawn (this is good for bring up moss!) and I always praise him when he does. But he still scratches the carpet. As soon as I hear him doing it, I shout at him and he instantly stops because he know's he's not supposed to but when I'm not there to shout I know he'll still do it :(

janet - 28-11-2007 at 09:48

I've not got a solution to anything but one thing I've done with all pets is to use their name when I'm happy with them as well as when I want them to stop something *now* - I've no idea if it's important with pets but we realised very early on with the kids that we only used their names when annoyed, and made a conscious effort to use their names in praise as well as blame!

Daz - 28-11-2007 at 10:16

Quote:
Originally posted by Swish Checkley
My problem is stopping my cat sharpening his claws on the carpet! He has a scratching post which of course he does not use :P He also has two door mats for the same purpose that he does use and also the lawn (this is good for bring up moss!) and I always praise him when he does. But he still scratches the carpet. As soon as I hear him doing it, I shout at him and he instantly stops because he know's he's not supposed to but when I'm not there to shout I know he'll still do it :(

We found ours preferred a "Fix to the wall" type scratching post, rather than something that is movable, or tips/sways while they use it.

Also, to encourage they used the scratching post, we bought a bottle of Catnip spray. They love it, and get high as kites, but it's effective, and it's kept them interested in the post, even when we've recovered it with new carpet/rope, and when we moved house. If we notice that one of them is taking liberties, and clawing at the furniture or carpet again then we give the post another squirt of Catnip...

Seems to work for us mostly.

You could also try putting pepper down where he keeps doing it, and see if that deters him, or eucalyptus oil/etc as that is meant to put them off. Both worked for ours when they were younger apparently, but not anymore Mrs D says.

Swish Checkley - 28-11-2007 at 10:29

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
We found ours preferred a "Fix to the wall" type scratching post, rather than something that is movable, or tips/sways while they use it.

*nodding* makes sense

Quote:
Also, to encourage they used the scratching post, we bought a bottle of Catnip spray. They love it, and get high as kites, but it's effective, and it's kept them interested in the post, even when we've recovered it with new carpet/rope, and when we moved house. If we notice that one of them is taking liberties, and clawing at the furniture or carpet again then we give the post another squirt of Catnip...

That's a good idea, I'll try that, thanks waveysmiley And I'll also move the scratching post to the place where he most often scratches the carpet.

Daz - 28-11-2007 at 10:40

Quote:
Originally posted by Swish Checkley
Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

That's a good idea, I'll try that, thanks waveysmiley And I'll also move the scratching post to the place where he most often scratches the carpet.

Can I just say say, I wouldn't move the post? Put it where you think is a safe, but convenient place for him to use.

They will go to the post to use it, ours do daily, hourly sometimes! Ours is fixed to a wall in the Kitchen.

I'd be worried about putting it near to the area he's currently using, and shouldn't be.... Because if the Catnip transfers from post to carpet, (as is likely to happen, when he's rubbing himself on it) then he'll be even more attracted to the carpet....

Just my 2p worth...

Swish Checkley - 28-11-2007 at 10:57

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Can I just say say, I wouldn't move the post? Put it where you think is a safe, but convenient place for him to use.

They will go to the post to use it, ours do daily, hourly sometimes! Ours is fixed to a wall in the Kitchen.

I'd be worried about putting it near to the area he's currently using, and shouldn't be.... Because if the Catnip transfers from post to carpet, (as is likely to happen, when he's rubbing himself on it) then he'll be even more attracted to the carpet....

Just my 2p worth...

Yeah fair point :)

runrig - 28-11-2007 at 12:46

There you go, thanks Daz, I thought this topic might be of some use.
I am no expert on cats but I have heard that Catnip is very good.
waveysmileywaveysmiley

Swish Checkley - 28-11-2007 at 12:57

Quote:
Originally posted by runrig
I am no expert on cats but I have heard that Catnip is very good.waveysmileywaveysmiley

I planted catnip in my garden. My cat ignored it completely but all the other cats in the neighbourhood came and rolled on it, so I dug it up again! :smash)
Though his favorite toy is a mouse filled with catnip so who knows what goes oin in his furry little brain? ;)

janet - 28-11-2007 at 13:06

OUCH

I got the bird out. Fair enough - but he immediately took a chunk out of my thumb- nicely balancing the chunk he took out last week.

I brought him in here, so he could sit on the perch, which is surrounded by newspaper and well away from the kitten.

The kitten thinks the newspaper is the best thing since sliced bread, and is alternately playing with it and stalking the bird.

The bird insists on sitting on my shoulder, which means the cat stalks the bird to - you got it. At least I had a blanket around my shoulders today so I can't quite match the puncture wounds from the other day.

It's all settled down now and I'm assuming all I can do is wait and let them settle down as well. They'll never be friends, (she's a CAT and he's a BIRD and neither is all that bright), but peaceful co-existence...? Please? :}

If anyone has raised cats and birds together, I'd love to hear tips!

runrig - 28-11-2007 at 13:12

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
OUCH

If anyone has raised cats and birds together, I'd love to hear tips!

That should bring up some unusual advice Janet.....Cant wait to see if you have any replies.
:D:D:Dwaveysmiley

LSemmens - 28-11-2007 at 13:57

We've had mixed success with catnip for our moggies. Neither seemed to get excited over it, so don't be disappointed if, at first, it seems less than attractive.

Daz - 29-11-2007 at 00:49

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
We've had mixed success with catnip for our moggies. Neither seemed to get excited over it, so don't be disappointed if, at first, it seems less than attractive.

Ours love it, though the toys that are filled with the actual herb (?) they can live without. But the liquid spray, really grabs their interest.