Karl`s PC Help Forums

Hello all.
Snowy - 22-3-2009 at 17:37

Hi Everyone, my name is Catriona but I like to be called Snowy. I am 46 and live on the Caithness coast. I bought my first ever laptop at Christmas and looked for a good site in case I got any problems but so far all is OK. Look forward to contributing to the threads but I am a little shy. It looks a nice friendly site with lots of varied topics.
See you all later, bye for now.

scholar - 22-3-2009 at 17:53

Welcome, Snowy!waveysmiley This is my favorite place on the internet to converse. I like it better than chat rooms--here, the posts are recorded and I can look at them later. We have members in several countries. The computer guys here are first-rate and quite generous with their knowledge. I first came here with computer questions, and then stayed for the friends I'd made.

You'll see we have several areas in which to post--serious, and silly; news, and events that have happened in our own lives; remarks about books, and jokes. I'm always glad to see a new person post, because only you have your knowledge, your experience, your sense of humor, your exact collection of talents and abilities. We are the richer for having you here.

The founder of these forums, Karl, started them as a model of a friendly forum in which all would be treated equally and in accordance with forum rules. He has since passed away, but his wife, Dreamweaver, continues as administrator.:)

Again, welcome.:D

Quaver - 22-3-2009 at 18:06

Welcome Snowy!w_kf.gif

waffler - 22-3-2009 at 18:06

Welcome Snowy
As Scholar said in the previous this is also my favourite place on the net . Majority of the folks on here are around your age and a little older :) . I joined for computer info and liked it so much I spend a lot of time on here everyday.
Once again welcome .waveysmiley

John_Little - 22-3-2009 at 18:07

Welcome Snowy!

I had to google for Caithness coast. Another Scot eh?

marymary100 - 22-3-2009 at 19:36

Hello Snowy, and welcome! :)

LSemmens - 23-3-2009 at 12:51

Hi Snowy. From the other side
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
Of the world! I ain't dead yet! Tried it and didn't like it.

Seriously! Welcome to the mad house, We're all a little mad here, but it sure helps.

Quaver - 23-3-2009 at 13:29

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
We're all a little mad here, but it sure helps.

Speak for yourself nananana

LSemmens - 23-3-2009 at 13:40

Sorry, Q, I forgot that you were totally certifiable! setteehidey

Quaver - 23-3-2009 at 17:07

Quote:
Sorry, Q, I forgot that you were totally certifiable! setteehidey

:jester)

Nimuae - 23-3-2009 at 17:10

Welcome Snowy ! Come on in - it's fun !!

Snowy - 23-3-2009 at 19:03

Well thank you for your warm welcomes, this is the first forum site I have ever been on and I am sure I have found a nice friendly one. I had to laugh at John when he said he had to google caithness, I am sure he was joking, from his comment it seems I am not the only Scottish member....are there many of us ?
Look forward to posting in some of the topics very soon..Thanks again for the nice welcome.
Snowy.

John_Little - 23-3-2009 at 19:24

I'm a sort of honourary Scot, but the main one I know of, here, is Marymary.

How did you manage all this time without posting on a forum somewhere?shocked_yellow

Snowy - 23-3-2009 at 19:32

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
I'm a sort of honourary Scot, but the main one I know of, here, is Marymary.

How did you manage all this time without posting on a forum somewhere?shocked_yellow

Hi John, I only got my first ever PC at christmas, I have always been a little scared of them but at 46 I thought I should take the plunge.

marymary100 - 23-3-2009 at 19:33

One or two others as well I think. But yes there is a certain Scottish flavour to the forum...s_cots

John_Little - 23-3-2009 at 19:38

Who bought it for you, Snowy? Or did you buy it yourself?

Forums can be very addictive. And you would be amazed how high emotions can get sometimes. Not so much here, lately, but there have been moments.

Quaver - 23-3-2009 at 19:50

Just remember to add smilies:) if you are joking, in case someone mis-understands it:D

Snowy - 23-3-2009 at 20:27

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
Just remember to add smilies:) if you are joking, in case someone mis-understands it:D

Haven't tried the smilies yet Quaver, i might break something !! Haha.
John, I bought myself a cheap digital camera at christmas (also my first) and realised you need to have a pc to get the best from it, so instead of spending 50 i ended up spending 450 !!

Quaver - 23-3-2009 at 20:58

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowy
Quote:

John, I bought myself a cheap digital camera at christmas (also my first) and realised you need to have a pc to get the best from it, so instead of spending 50 i ended up spending 450 !!

You could've just got a printer which connects to the camera direct:D

John_Little - 23-3-2009 at 21:20

Quote:
Quote:

Ah, the old technology spiral trap. Still, everyone's entitled to a few toys - even at 46 - specially at 46. Ah, 46.....the heady days of my youth........:)

Snowy - 23-3-2009 at 21:53

Yes John, I must admit I am enjoying my new "toys"......I haven't succumbed to buying a mobile phone yet though !
:P.....Hows that for a smilie ?

Quaver - 23-3-2009 at 22:54

Quote:
:P.....Hows that for a smilie ?

Excellent!:clap)

victor - 23-3-2009 at 23:02

Hi Snowy, welcome to KF always nice to see new members. waveysmiley

marymary100 - 23-3-2009 at 23:28

No mobile? How do you survive? shocked_yellow

Quaver - 23-3-2009 at 23:33

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
No mobile? How do you survive? shocked_yellow

We used to survive just OK without one last century:cool:

marymary100 - 23-3-2009 at 23:58

Yes, but it's so last century...;)

Seriously though, I've turned back home if I've forgotten my phone. I've had one since the teen was a baby and it's something I don't want to be without.

waffler - 24-3-2009 at 09:22

Bought my first mobile in the late 80s was the size of a house brick . Now they are so small I have trouble finding it . :cool:

John_Little - 24-3-2009 at 09:42

I resisted for ages because it meant you were never off the leash. Mrs L got one when we started to go away every weekend to our caravan and her parents were getting old. As they do.

I was a school governor at the time and she set up our home phone to divert to her mobile so her parents didn't have to worry about a new number. The problem was, during a particularly heavy bit of politics at the RC school, I kept getting hounded by various other governors all demanding my support for their particular position.

Snowy - 24-3-2009 at 11:18

I cannot get a signal at home and its the same with TV...I am going to have to splash out on a dish when we go digital next year. The position of the house is so that a cliff blocks out all the local transmissions and my signals have to come from over the Moray Firth which is over 100 miles away. So no mobile signal and a poor TV signal. If I can find out how to post a photo of my house it may explain better. I dont have many family and friends anyway but it is so nice to discover e-mail.
I was right about this being a friendly site, I am so pleased with it and your kind welcomes...Thank you so much.
:)

John_Little - 24-3-2009 at 11:23

Got ya!

I thought you said you didn't have a mobile phone! So, if you don't how do you know there's no signal!

Ah ha!

Answer that!

(thought you ought to be treated the same as anyone else now your feet are under the table - kid gloves are off!)

Snowy - 24-3-2009 at 11:37

Quote:
Got ya!

I thought you said you didn't have a mobile phone! So, if you don't how do you know there's no signal!

Ah ha!

Answer that!

(thought you ought to be treated the same as anyone else now your feet are under the table - kid gloves are off!)

My Landlord told me when I moved in and also my neighbours said the same.....It does not bother me as I rely on good old BT.
:D

John_Little - 24-3-2009 at 12:08

Did I ever tell you that Giron and I are both GPO trained?

LSemmens - 24-3-2009 at 12:13

I am a fellow Scot, in spirit, anyway. My forebears came from Leslie in Alvie several generations back.

You'll enjoy learning about 'puters and stuff. The only advice I give to anyone new to computers is, ask first. If a mate offers to "set you up with such and such", before you allow him near your pride and joy, ask around to see if he really knows what he is doing. Think of it along the lines of motor cars, just 'cause diesel works for your tractor, don't mean that it will work in your Jaguar. Ask here, most of our technical types are very adept at explaining things to novices.

Quaver - 24-3-2009 at 12:25

Quote:
Did I ever tell you that Giron and I are both GPO trained?

BT site is down at the moment:
Quote:

BT
Thank you for visiting BT.COM Due to essential maintenance work this section of the site is not currently available. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you. To return to BT.com at any time, just click the BT logo at the top of the page.

DeWitch - 24-3-2009 at 12:33

Quote:
Who bought it for you, Snowy? Or did you buy it yourself?

Forums can be very addictive. And you would be amazed how high emotions can get sometimes. Not so much here, lately, but there have been moments.

Below from her very first post John;)
Quote:
I bought my first ever laptop at Christmas

WELCOME SNOWY!!!
Sorry I am so late
Had just joined two new stationery/graphics groups over the weekend so have not been in here much.
DeWitch from Snow Hampshire, USA

Snowy - 24-3-2009 at 19:34

Quote:
I am a fellow Scot, in spirit, anyway. My forebears came from Leslie in Alvie several generations back.

You'll enjoy learning about 'puters and stuff. The only advice I give to anyone new to computers is, ask first. If a mate offers to "set you up with such and such", before you allow him near your pride and joy, ask around to see if he really knows what he is doing. Think of it along the lines of motor cars, just 'cause diesel works for your tractor, don't mean that it will work in your Jaguar. Ask here, most of our technical types are very adept at explaining things to novices.
Thanks for your good advice,touch wood all is working fine at the moment, I do get worried about all the scare stories about getting "infected"....I woudnt know what to do if that happened ! Is the Alvie you mention near to Aviemore, I think their is a Loch Alvie that way....I dont go down that far south very often.....I am 38 miles from John O'Groats.
waveysmiley

Quaver - 24-3-2009 at 19:37

Quote:
I do get worried about all the scare stories about getting "infected"....I woudnt know what to do if that happened !

At the beginning, I was telling dad about what a virus is and what it can do, my mum was listening, and got really worried. So I told her, it is only computers, nobody actually get ill or dies with a PC virus;) She was genuinely relieved :D

waffler - 25-3-2009 at 01:42

Just make sure you have a good anti virus prog installed .There are several good free ones on the net .:)

Snowy - 25-3-2009 at 09:28

Quote:
Originally posted by waffler
Just make sure you have a good anti virus prog installed .There are several good free ones on the net .:)

Hi Waffler, I got Norton antivirus installed, is that any good ?
;)

LSemmens - 25-3-2009 at 10:59

Some people swear by Nortons, many swear at it! I never had a problem with it when I used it, but that was some years back now. You'll find that Nortons is by subscription, so when you subscription runs out, you'll have to cough up some more money to keep protected. Probably in round twelve months, or when the trial period expires in about 60 days.

Many manufacturers these days load you up with trial software which allows you to use a package for a while, get used to it, and then slug you to continue using it. There are many good freeware programs out there, so if you find that you need to do something, or that you have, what I call, crippleware ask here, we can offer suggestions as to good alternatives.

Note: we do not condone piracy or "cracks", so we'll not entertain any discussion of how to bypass any activation procedures.

Quaver - 25-3-2009 at 11:45

I started with Norton, had 12 months sub. Afterwards, I switched to free ones, AVG free antivirus and Zonealarm free firewallwaveysmiley

John_Little - 25-3-2009 at 12:44

Norton is great when its new and working properly, The problem arises when you try to get rid of it. And you have to pay for it, and keep paying to update it.

Like Quaver said, AVG and a couple of others whose name escapes me at the moment, are free and just as good - although you do have to update to the new version now and again.

But, since you've got it, then rest assured, provided you get your regular updates - Norton will protect your brand new PC from the worst the web has to offer.

John_Little - 25-3-2009 at 12:46

Does it include anti-spyware?

Spyware is not as bad as viruses and trojens but can really slow down your PC and cause all sorts of problems. You need to check for these little cookies and things now and again and get rid of them or you will find your PC running slowly.

Snowy - 25-3-2009 at 12:47

Quote:
Some people swear by Nortons, many swear at it! I never had a problem with it when I used it, but that was some years back now. You'll find that Nortons is by subscription, so when you subscription runs out, you'll have to cough up some more money to keep protected. Probably in round twelve months, or when the trial period expires in about 60 days.

Many manufacturers these days load you up with trial software which allows you to use a package for a while, get used to it, and then slug you to continue using it. There are many good freeware programs out there, so if you find that you need to do something, or that you have, what I call, crippleware ask here, we can offer suggestions as to good alternatives.

Note: we do not condone piracy or "cracks", so we'll not entertain any discussion of how to bypass any activation procedures.

Sorry, I dont understand your note at the bottom, what is piracy or cracks....Have I done something wrong ?
confused2

Snowy - 25-3-2009 at 12:51

Quote:
Does it include anti-spyware?

Spyware is not as bad as viruses and trojens but can really slow down your PC and cause all sorts of problems. You need to check for these little cookies and things now and again and get rid of them or you will find your PC running slowly.

Hi John, I do a scan each day and it shows up with around 12 "Tracking cookies" everyday....I delete these cookies everyday....is that the right thing to do ?

Quaver - 25-3-2009 at 13:00

Quote:
Sorry, I dont understand your note at the bottom, what is piracy or cracks....Have I done something wrong ?
confused2

No, no :) He's only talking about ways of extending the subscription of Norton - illegally:D
You are finekewl_glasses

Snowy - 25-3-2009 at 13:04

Quote:
Quote:
confused2

No, no :) He's only talking about ways of extending the subscription of Norton - illegally:D
You are finekewl_glasses

Thanks Quaver...I was worried I had broken some Forum rules or something......sorry !

scholar - 25-3-2009 at 15:50

Snowy, more generally, "piracy" is stealing any program for which payment is required.

"Cracking" is when a person defeats program code which is intended to prevent unauthorized use or unauthorized copying. Sometimes a cracker will then create a copy of the program or CD or file without the protective code, with the result that anyone can then make unauthorized copies.

A recent example that came up here at KF: one of our members had a hard drive disaster that lost him a photographic program. Another member posted that he possessed the CD of another photographic program which he could send to the distressed member. If the member who wished to help did that, and continued to use the program on his own computer, that would be two people using a program for which only a single payment was made--a waggyfinger violation of the End User License Agreement. The post with the offer was removed by a moderator. (The member offering help had not thought of the problem until it was brought to his attention.)

scholar - 25-3-2009 at 15:56

Quote:
Hi Snowy. From the other side
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
Of the world! I ain't dead yet! Tried it and didn't like it.

Seriously! Welcome to the mad house, We're all a little mad here, but it sure helps.
There is a story behind this, Snowy, which Leigh Semmens can probably be coaxed to tell you. When he says "dead. . . tried it and didn't like it," he means it.shocked_yellowshocked_yellow

Snowy - 25-3-2009 at 16:32

Thank you for explaining that Scholar, I must admit that I dont read the "End user" agreements, They seem far to long and I dont understand them so I dont read them !.....Dont worry though, I wont do anything that is illegal..it is not me !
waveysmiley

victor - 25-3-2009 at 19:49

Quote:
I must admit that I dont read the "End user" agreements, They seem far to long and I dont understand them so I dont read them !

Does anyone? :D

waffler - 26-3-2009 at 02:51

Quote:
Originally posted by victor
Quote:
I must admit that I dont read the "End user" agreements, They seem far to long and I dont understand them so I dont read them !

Does anyone? :D

Wastes to much time would miss the fun on _iluv_karling.gif

LSemmens - 27-3-2009 at 11:46

EULA is an unfortunate fact of life. I think I actually did read one, once, but that was as far as I ever went. I think if we seriously read them we might find there was something in them about your first born, and all that, so, I'd rather not know.

Sorry, Snowy, the comment about piracy was to cover our backside, like the EULA, and also as a small point of education for you as a new user. Many people seem to throw up their hands in dismay if you suggest they photocopy a book, which is also piracy, but tend to be less bothered with copying a CD or computer program. You broken no forum rules with anything that you've said so far, but I, personally, have been caught in the past, by novices who, in all innocence, did something quite illegal, and could have gotten themselves into trouble should the organisation choose to pursue it. (It has nothing to do with KF, and certainly well before my involvement here) So, in effect, I am covering your posterior, too.

Snowy - 27-3-2009 at 12:32

Thanks for that Leigh, how will I know if I do anything illegal ? So far I have only downloaded Google Earth. If something is advertised as being "Free to download" that cannot be illegal can it.? I am a little worried now as I dont want to do anything wrong.
confused2

LSemmens - 27-3-2009 at 14:00

There are good websites that do offer various types of software under varying licence agreements. Members here can point you at some reputable ones. Software licensees can come under various types

freeware - no fee is paid

shareware - some times a fee is charged for personal use in some cases it is only charged if it is for commercial use. Typically the fee is based upon an honour system where you are allowed to try a program and the requested to send the author a small fee in appreciation.

What I call "crippleware" where software is distributed with certain critical features disabled (maybe - you can't save your work). This is similar to the shareware concept except as mentioned. Another form of crippleware which, in some ways us better, is where the program is time locked. You can install it and use it for a certain period, say 30 days, then you are required to pay to continue using the product.

Retail software - stuff you buy and install.

This is a very brief overview. If you need software to perform a task, please ask on here, I'm sure there will be many suggestions, some more helpful than others. Other's may well critique my analysis here, too.

waffler - 28-3-2009 at 03:41

Quote:
Thanks for that Leigh, how will I know if I do anything illegal ? So far I have only downloaded Google Earth. If something is advertised as being "Free to download" that cannot be illegal can it.? I am a little worried now as I dont want to do anything wrong.
confused2

Illegal whats that confused2confused2confused2:)

waffler - 28-3-2009 at 03:43

Don't worry the Cyber Cops aint lookin' :)

scholar - 29-3-2009 at 20:49

Snowy, Leigh (LSemmens) didn't mean to make you worry that you have done something illegal.

Some sites on the internet make a point of offering things that are against British and American law ("Come to us, and we will get music for you for free"--but then, the owners of the music do not get paid.) There are other sites at which people advise how to steal music, movies, or computer programs. At KF, we don't do that. We are here for friendly help and conversation.greengrin

waffler - 30-3-2009 at 02:21

Quote:
There are good websites that do offer various types of software under varying licence agreements. Members here can point you at some reputable ones. Software licensees can come under various types

shareware - some times a fee is charged for personal use in some cases it is only charged if it is for commercial use. Typically the fee is based upon an honour system where you are allowed to try a program and the requested to send the author a small fee in appreciation.

What I call "crippleware" where software is distributed with certain critical features disabled (maybe - you can't save your work). This is similar to the shareware concept except as mentioned. Another form of crippleware which, in some ways us better, is where the program is time locked. You can install it and use it for a certain period, say 30 days, then you are required to pay to continue using the product.

This is a very brief overview. If you need software to perform a task, please ask on here, I'm sure there will be many suggestions, some more helpful than others. Other's may well critique my analysis here, too.

Why would anyone critisise you , when everything you said to my knowledge is true . IMHO I would say 90+% internet users have done something illegal whilst using the internet . :)

LSemmens - 30-3-2009 at 13:32

If everything that I have said is true, then I am worried. Are you sure that everything that you said is true? confused2butkickyfish_slapskidaddle

waffler - 30-3-2009 at 13:39

Quote:

Was referring to above not everything as in everything

Quaver - 30-3-2009 at 13:42

Quote:
Originally posted by waffler
Was referring to above not everything as in everything

:D

LSemmens - 30-3-2009 at 14:06

Quote:
Why would anyone critisise you , when everything you said to my knowledge is true .

You said it, not I! nananana:D