Karl`s PC Help Forums

Tesla's death ray, built and tested
scholar - 3-3-2018 at 22:08

According to the program that was broadcast as a series on the Science Channel, Tesla may well have been murdered. His nephew, a communist who dealt with the Soviets, brought a safe-cracker with him to get into Nikolas' safe so that he could leave with the documents therein, some of which have never been accounted for since. An agency of the U.S. government took possession of great numbers of documents after the death was discovered, including many pages about the Tesla Death Ray.

Documents that were released in the time since have been in a repository in Hungary.

People working from Tesla's papers built the death ray, as he envisioned it, to test or demonstrate it, and an episode broadcast in February of this year showed the results.

I don't have a video of it that I can share (there is a recording in the DVR owned by my satellite company that I can view, but I don't know how to get it to you, if it is possible).

If you get the whole program, the climax--an attempt to fire it at a moving, airborne target--is 5 or 6 minutes from the end of the video file.

I had envisioned the death ray targets to be tanks or similar vehicles, or even ships--something grounded, so that the ray need only hit it anywhere, and deadly electricity would travel through it to earth, similar to a lightning strike. Would it work on a target in the air? And, would it work on a small target, such as would too small to be shelled?

You may make your guesses, or find a video link to post, if you like. I don't want to give too much away in this first post.greengrin.

Are you familiar with the concept? There was some coverage in Tesla's time, and it inspired a Superman story line in which the death ray looks something like an observatory telescope. But, that is not how it looks in real life. . .scared_stiff

LSemmens - 5-3-2018 at 02:18

Let me guess.... it DIDN'T work. :D

scholar - 9-3-2018 at 23:30

Hmmm. I'd thought I'd get more reaction, and possibly there is a video on the net.

It DID work! It DOES work!shocked_yellow

The nature of the device is such that a large amount of electrical energy from a bank of capacitors goes to a metal projection near the top of the tower, that makes the energy available for emission as something like a lightning bolt toward a target that gets close enough to receive the discharge. If a person were on the ground near the tower, he could receive the bolt and die. In the test/demonstration, the high voltage hit a hovering drone and destroyed it.

The electrical energy involved was considerable. The show did not go into details such as what is necessary to charge the capacitors, how vulnerable or durable the weapon is, what is the cost in terms of material, how long it takes to recharge the capacitors.

The weapon was fired by a remote switch. Did you know that remote-control through the air was invented/developed by Tesla? The program showed film footage of Testa directing a remote-controlled vehicle.