Karl`s PC Help Forums

It's been a rough few weeks
scholar - 2-3-2018 at 02:46

Ruby injured herself, falling off the Teeter the first time she tried it, before we knew how to work it.

I missed a day of work after I injured my head and was unable to sleep most of the night (not on the Teeter, I hit it on an open door from a electrical cabinet).

Ruby drove us to my churches and back, and got an expensive speeding ticket on the way home.

Ruby eventually began to feel so much pain in her hip this week that she went to a doctor, who ordered an X-ray which showed a fracture in her hip. She was referred to an ortho, but that doctor was not in his office that day, and her pain became so severe that she had me take her to the ER at the hospital. She had to wait for hours for treatment. The ER doctor said she needed a CAT scan to determine if she needed surgery, which should be done within hours if it were necessary. Ruby wanted to back out and go home--she is scared of surgery. The CAT scan indicated the fracture was not a full break, so no surgery is was needed. We got home the next morning.

Since we had been up most of the night, I could not work, so I called in that I would not be coming to work. Two people whom we had taken in briefly when they were homeless stopped by, and Sarah did some vacuuming for us. Ruby offered for me to pay her, but she declined.

Later, we discovered she had stolen my wallet while she was out of our sight in the room where I had left it (in a jeans pocket). She had never declined payment for doing chores for us, but she would have been discovered if I had gone for the wallet after she had removed it. She and Branden said they were leaving to go to a food pantry that was going to have food available at 3:30--but we know one of the people who runs that pantry, who told us they never came. So, I lost all the money in the wallet, and some gift cards with value on them, and my driver's license and Social Security card and bank ATM card and Obama insurance card. :(:(:( But, no credit or debit cards.:)

I'd like the Lord to give us an easier time for a while.;)

Nimuae - 2-3-2018 at 06:24

((((((((((((((((((((Scholar and Ruby))))))))))))))))))))))))

I hopethings improve for you very soon - and I hope you have reported the theft to the police !

John_Little - 2-3-2018 at 07:19

Same here, Scholar. Really sorry to read all that. You won't be doing those two any more favours. I'm sure your reward will be in heaven but until then, maybe you deserve a bit of better luck.

marymary100 - 2-3-2018 at 08:32

I'm sorry you're both having such a hard time. I'm with Nim on the reporting idea. Bank cards etc gives them the opportunity to take much more through fraud. The teeter will be sent back I guess?

Quaver - 2-3-2018 at 10:03

(((Scholar & Ruby)))
So much bad luck within such a short time :(
Hope things will improve soon.

scholar - 3-3-2018 at 19:02

Thank you for the hugs and good wishes.

The bank cards are of the ATM type--they don't have credit or debit properties for buying things in person or over the phone or on-line. You insert the card into a Autmated Teller Machine, which asks you to put in a 4-digit pin before it will give any information (let alone any money). If a person tries three times without success, the machine will not give back the card.

I did report the theft to the police, and got a police report. This is supposed to be required for us who are 60 or older to get a free replacement driver's license, but the place actually didn't seem interested in the report. I called my bank, which hot-carded the accounts, so no one else will be able to use the cards and the picture ID to make a withdrawal in person (I will only be able to do so at places where a teller knows me).

The scariest problem I have had so far (other than loss of the money and gift cards) happened when I went to the clinic for my written prescription, and was told I needed state picture ID. I told the nurse about the theft, and that there was at least one clinic worker who could ID me, having known me for more than 15 years. (I was glad Arden was working that day.) He gladly vouched for me, but I was told that they would only allow such an exception once. I have since gotten a temporary replacement license, and will be getting the plastic one with anti-duplication features in the mail.

I am still praying that the thief will drop the wallet in a mail box after taking the money and gift cards. It would save me some time and trouble, and I had been kind to them.

I'm not running to every place, to replace every document, until there has been enough time to get such a mail delivery.

scholar - 3-3-2018 at 19:05

Originally posted by marymary100
. The teeter will be sent back I guess?

We're going to keep it. It feels really good on Ruby's back, and she used it several times after the injury. But, we've agreed she should stay off it until the fracture mends.

Does anyone here know how long that is likely to take?

I wish I had asked when we were at the hospital. But, we were so tired, having been awake through the night. (I may have gotten in a few minutes, sleeping in the chair.)

Nimuae - 3-3-2018 at 21:17

Healthy bone takes at least 6 x weeks to mend.

scholar - 3-3-2018 at 21:48

Originally posted by Nimuae
Healthy bone takes at least 6 x weeks to mend.

doffs_cap Thank you. I think I've heard 6 weeks mentioned, too. It is only a fracture, so there is some reason to hope it is toward the shorter range of time. On the other hand, I don't know if Ruby's diabetes will make healing slower, the way it did when she had the rotor cuff surgery. Another factor--she can't really keep her hip immobile, and still be able to do anything out of bed. It's not as if we have an electric chair and an aid or servant. (Sometimes, we call on the people who stay with us to do things, but they are servants only to the point they are willing to do what we ask.)

LSemmens - 5-3-2018 at 02:11

Shoulder injuries are more problematic than arms or legs. 6 weeks is the minimum time for the bone to heal. SWMBO broke a bone in her shoulder last Christmas and, although it has healed, it still gives her grief. They cannot cast them and instructed Deb to keep the arm still.

scholar - 7-3-2018 at 09:41

On Sunday, Ruby turned her ankle and sprained it badly--pain and swelling.

She has been having an awful time sleeping. Pain keeps her awake until she is so exhausted that she sleeps in spite of the pain, then she sleeps for a while until the pain is more than the exhaustion and she wakes up again.

Yesterday, she fell asleep sitting on the couch, but she was leaning forward, and fell forward, hitting both knees on the floor.:(:(

Today is her birthday.

John_Little - 7-3-2018 at 10:03

I wonder if there is an underlying cause of all these accidents.

Quaver - 7-3-2018 at 11:47

Poor Ruby (((hugs))).
Hope she has a happy birthday:wav)

LSemmens - 8-3-2018 at 00:35