Here's tae us
marymary100 - 31-12-2017 at 19:45

Wha's like us?
Gui few an' they're aw deid!

Happy New Year, when it comes!

marymary100 - 31-12-2017 at 23:07

What we searched for in 2017

LSemmens - 1-1-2018 at 01:53

Aussies spent more time searching for sport.....

scholar - 1-1-2018 at 02:11

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
What we searched for in 2017

The video from Google had one serious mismatch.

After "how to make a difference" there was video of NFL players taking a knee during the National Anthem. It is around 1:12.

There are many opportunities for these rich, privileged athletes to do good, to actually make a difference, and many of them do so--charitable foundations that do good work, public appearances for good causes, donations of their own money from the riches paid to them, and more.

But, one way to do harm, instead of making a positive difference, has been to put down a knee during the U.S. national anthem, even though NFL rules say that players are required to stand for it (a gesture of respect). Americans who are disgusted with such gestures have stopped watching the games, and stopped buying tickets. The sport franchise is hurt financially, those who televise the games are hurt in their advertising revenue, the workers who sell food and drink at the games don't do as well. Putting down the knee doesn't prevent or correct any injustice. It doesn't help people of color to be treated more fairly, or more considerately.

And Trump has made the issue worse, not better, by calling for such players to be suspended from playing. This is surprising, because he has been promoting the American economy, more income for workers, American business activity, etc. I think he miscalculated, thinking that the NFL would enforce their own rule and that the outcome would be positive. If he did think so--it didn't work out that way.

And, what was Google UK doing, picking that mismatch from American sports ?confused2

marymary100 - 1-1-2018 at 10:34

Take it up with them scholar.

We may well have been searching to find out what it is all about as it seems a bit of a mystery to us. It seems a kind of peaceful protest to us.

More to the point, what did the US version of this New Year Google search message contain?

LSemmens - 2-1-2018 at 00:19

It has made a difference Scholar, it has many people talking about it, and the reasons behind it. To me, it is a peaceful means of "protest", also, to me, it shows more respect than standing.

Katzy - 2-1-2018 at 13:25

Just a small pointette...

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar: even though NFL rules say that players are required to stand for it (a gesture of respect).

I'd argue that doing something because you have to isn't showing respect, it's simply doing what you're told.

I show respect for most people I meet, simply because...

er...

"All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them".