Karl`s PC Help Forums

Think different
marymary100 - 30-12-2017 at 14:49

car door

scholar - 30-12-2017 at 15:46

Is that a car presently in production, or just a prototype?

During these days of below-zero temps in the States, it looks like a pretty cold exit from the car.:o

marymary100 - 30-12-2017 at 16:11

Wouldn't be great in a T-bone accident either imo.

The car is a 1996 Lincoln Mark Viii, the door was an after purchase installation.

scholar - 30-12-2017 at 16:23

It looks like a car for someone who can afford more than one car, so as to have an alternative for cold, snowy weather.

People with motorcycles, or people with two-seat convertible sports cars, would want another vehicle for cold weather, too.

Of course, if you live in Leigh's area, you might not need the cold-weather vehicle in reserve.

Katzy - 30-12-2017 at 19:48

Might be useful for those of us who are classed as "Special", physically. But, it looks rather like one of those things that might seem like a good idea, but would be prone to breaking and costing the national defence budget to repair.

LSemmens - 31-12-2017 at 04:23

Actually the only issues would be the additional clearance required under the car for the door, sorta like a gull wing in reverse. Practically, it looks like a good idea. Cyclists and other motorists would love it. No idiots opening car doors into your path as you drive past. There may be additional electro mechanical components, but, realistically, this door could actually be stronger than a conventional door in that it has runners supporting the door on both sides rather than a hinge on one end.

marymary100 - 1-1-2018 at 15:07

disability car

scholar - 1-1-2018 at 16:41

That is a truly excellent idea!

I am thinking ahead to when Ruby will need a wheelchair or scooter for transport. She has a wheelchair, now, but she doesn't use it unless I am pushing her, mostly for what would have been longer walks. But, she always grabs an electric scooter at stores which provide them.

LSemmens - 2-1-2018 at 00:28

That is a brilliant car. I've seen motor bikes set up for the disabled. In fact, my nephew has one.