Karl`s PC Help Forums

"Right Honourable"
marymary100 - 1-11-2017 at 20:09

When the "Right Honourable Member" resigns due to touching a journalist's knee, despite being involved in the expenses scandal and a drunk driver on earlier occasions, it seems that the only reasonable response is "One down, several to go..."

LSemmens - 1-11-2017 at 23:28

Honourable?????

John_Little - 2-11-2017 at 10:20

I do wonder what is going on. Your Julia Hartley Brewer woman was quite astounded. And after all, it was her knee that became the centre of "Knee Gate". The trouble with Britain, is dangerous dog syndrome. And what that does is deflect attention away from the main issue.

And its not all about "sex". Its about "gender". The debate has now moved in favour of those who dismiss the idea of harassment as so much political correctness. Its not about knees. Its about something far more fundamental but we need to sharpen the focus on what its really about.

There is a law in the UK that bans teachers from having relationships with their pupils. Even if the pupil is 18 and the teacher only a couple of years older. The point of is, that it recognises that teachers are in a unique position to influence those in their charge. Perhaps, with careful thinking and debate, we could extend that rule to Parliament and the work place.

Katzy - 2-11-2017 at 10:33

I find the knee thing worrying. My generation are still kinda "Touchy-feely" and I've put my hand on the knee of many a woman and man, during conversations.

This is going WAY to far.

'course, expenses fraud and driving whilst tiddly are different matters.

Nimuae - 2-11-2017 at 19:03

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
I find the knee thing worrying. My generation are still kinda "Touchy-feely" and I've put my hand on the knee of many a woman and man, during conversations.

This is going WAY to far.

'course, expenses fraud and driving whilst tiddly are different matters.

You may put your paws on my knee anytime you like, Katzy!

Nimuae - 2-11-2017 at 19:04

Anyone trying it without my permission does so at their own risk !

Katzy - 2-11-2017 at 20:34

Purrrrrrr! :D

LSemmens - 2-11-2017 at 22:13

Most of our friends, from, youth, right up until today's friends were all "touchy feely". We'd always greet one another with a hug, nothing more.

Katzy - 3-11-2017 at 13:34

He's just been outed as having made lewd remarks to Leadsom.

He must need his eyes testing, unless he told her to go fook herself...

Nimuae - 4-11-2017 at 06:55

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Most of our friends, from, youth, right up until today's friends were all "touchy feely". We'd always greet one another with a hug, nothing more.

I was brought up in a household where, once we were on our feet and capable of dresing ourselves, nobody touched anybody - ever - so the very idea of being hugged/kissed/stroked/patted by work colleagues or acquaintances is totally repugnant to me. However if it happened I would not go crying to the police and become a 'victim' - I would deal with it myself.

If a man or woman made unwelcome advances of any kind - he/she would be firmly told to stop it. If that didn't work - he/she would be very soundly slapped and I would make sure I was never in a situation where he could do it again. Been there - done that.

marymary100 - 4-11-2017 at 10:25

It's an imbalance of power thing though. If your lecturer runs his hands over you or your boss gives you a hug it can be very difficult to avoid it ruining your chances on the course or at work. The first time it happens out of the blue usually comes as a surprise and reaction is slow, but as you become more experienced or confident blocking the advances happens more easily.

Katzy - 4-11-2017 at 10:48

There's a dividing line, where work colleagues are concerned. Many times, people of similar grades are touchy-feely. Those of different grades are, too. But, only of the relationship is of that sort. Probably, those people will have known each-other, for a long time.

We're fortunate to have a lady come into our house, to have a general clean up, for us. She's a Polish lady, by the name of Marta. She's in her mid-twenties and we've got to know her pretty well. She ALWAYS gets a big hug, when she's finished, because she works damned hard. However, before I hugged her, the first time, I told her that this was an "Up here" thing, that we'd never do, where I used to live, as it was considered quite intimate, whereas a quick peck on the lips was considered normal. Quite the opposite, to where we are, now. I told her that if I was being out of hand, she was to excuse me and let me know.

Having said that, I gave her a tentative hug and got a bear-hug, in return! :D

Funny... She recently told us that we were her favourite job, because we're always so friendly, to her, which made us both feel really happy, as you might imagine.

I remember going to give my prospective step-daughter a peck on the lips, when I saw her off, at Euston, ages ago, and you could tell she wasn't entirely comfy, with it. She's fine, now that she knows what it's all about.

So, perhaps cultural differences have to be taken into consideration, too.

But, there are some obvious predators around. Those in positions of power, who seem to enjoy flaunting that power in inappropriate ways. Sadly, it has ever been thus.

It works both ways, too. I, myself, have fallen prey to females of a similar ilk, in my time. (When I was young, obviously. Nobody would look at me twice, now, except to think "What a weirdo!")

Nimuae - 4-11-2017 at 12:19

Ahh - I still like you Katzy and you are definitely on my 'hug' list !

Katzy - 4-11-2017 at 17:58

If we ever meet, we'd squeeze each other to death, Nim.

What a way to go, though! :D