Karl`s PC Help Forums

Autumnal.
Katzy - 24-10-2017 at 12:24

Hmmm... I wonder what The Yanks use, when their word for Autumn is "Fall"?

"Fallish"? "Fallal"?

John_Little - 24-10-2017 at 15:53

I await to be edumacated.

JackInCT - 24-10-2017 at 16:17

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Hmmm... I wonder what The Yanks use, when their word for Autumn is "Fall"?

Whatever is used, it absolutely, positively, no exceptions allowed be only ONE syllable. Polysyllabic words are passé as using one is much more trouble than it's worth to expend any energy to accomplish that.

An added, major benefit, is that when AI is a fully mature science, the language component can be much more readily brought up to speed to deploy since the vocabulary size is much smaller.

The "Me Tarzan, You Jane" school of thought shows that a successful courtship can be accomplish with just one generic phrase.

Katzy - 24-10-2017 at 17:02

An American friend's just been relating that many of you/them are tending to use "Autumn", now. The logic being that a lot more stuff falls, during the winter.

marymary100 - 24-10-2017 at 17:55

Autumnal when I lived there but then again they were educated people.

Katzy - 25-10-2017 at 09:57

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100they were educated people.

In America?!?!? ;)

JackInCT - 25-10-2017 at 12:59

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100they were educated people.

In America?!?!? ;)

Yes indeed it does strain credulity!!! But history has shown that at times giving a people the benefit of the doubt has reaped unexpected rewards. Having said that, when I searched Google for an example of that as it pertains to America, I got zero hits.

John_Little - 25-10-2017 at 13:14

It's clear that over 50% of USA citizens have a brain. It's just the system that let's them down.

Katzy - 25-10-2017 at 21:08

I've had many Yanks, as friends, over the years. Once they'd settled, here, and worked out how things work, they've really liked it, here. We became very close friends, eventually. They admitted that they liked my weirdness. :D

One told me that I should move to the States, because she felt I'd be president, within ten years!

The thing that I notice, when they first get here, is that they have an attention span of about three seconds. How they don't all die of a sean, before they're thirty, I'll never know. Maybe that's why they have so many ad breaks, on the telly.

When I visited the Virgin Islands, it was extremely marked, the differences between the British islands and the US ones. The British ones were about as laid back as you could ever imagine.

"When will that be done?"

"When it's done...".

On the US islands, everything was absolutely crazy. Plus, the British ones were my idea of paradise. The US ones have been seriously spoilt, to me (Rather like Mallorca was spoilt, once it got popular as a holiday destination for the British), which is a shame.

John_Little - 26-10-2017 at 10:54

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
It's clear that over 50% of USA citizens have a brain. It's just the system that let's them down.

Whereas here, its almost the opposite. 52% of the population are obviously brainless.

LSemmens - 27-10-2017 at 00:18

I'd go so far as to say that 90% of Americans had a brain, it was just "educated" out of them by their school brainwashing system.