Karl`s PC Help Forums

Land of the fee and the home of the slave
marymary100 - 17-9-2017 at 18:45

Florida natives forbidden from powering their own homes with their own solar panels, even after hurricanes

JackInCT - 17-9-2017 at 19:26

Do NOT ever take these kinds of articles at face value re the writer knows of whence they speak.

I have a natural gas external standby electric generator (the natural gas comes from my gas utility; the same utility that provides gas to my furnace and hot water heater).

When it was installed, the household electric control panel (the one that has the household circuit breakers; and if you have a real olde house, you might still have fuses) was completely replaced to deal with the generator's technology; that included a circuit/gadget to prevent the generator's electricity from ever flowing into the electric power lines.
This gadget that keeps my generator from flowing into the power lines is NOT new tech; it's been around for a long time.

My generator was installed by licensed techs; the installation included a permit/inspection by my city's housing inspector. And of course the gas company knew about it since they had to replace my existing gas line with a larger one to handle the load.

By the way, in terms of high tech, the gas company replaced my gas line [and installed the new one] from the street to my gas meter (which is on the outside of the house) with a machine that did so without digging up my lawn at all from the street to my gas meter. Incredible tech.

The only worry I have is that the generator is at ground level and a flood would of course likely damage it. It is several feet from my house to deal with carbon monoxide issues.

It comes on when there is a power failure which is a rare event [and of short duration] (about 5 yrs old at this point); it powers everything, i. e., ops are normal when it comes on (of course I'm paying for the gas that it uses). And of course if the gas was disrupted [theorectically possiblesuch as a gas line rupture in the system] it wouldn't work.

LSemmens - 18-9-2017 at 09:02

That rule is no different to the rules down here in OZ. If mains power goes down, our solar panels also get turned off. You can go completely off grid, that may not be permitted in a built up area, I am unsure of the rules regarding that. I can understand the reasoning, though. If emergency services are working though a neighbourhood looking for survivors after a disaster and they are unaware of an off grid power system that is still producing.... you get the picture.

marymary100 - 18-9-2017 at 09:38

They are forbidden from going off grid.