Karl`s PC Help Forums

Glasses for the colourblind
marymary100 - 15-9-2017 at 20:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqHlIRZnF38&feature=youtu.be

from about 2 minutes in

Katzy - 16-9-2017 at 13:24

I've always wondered, about colours. We each have our favourite colours. But, do we all see things in the same way? If we saw something that's blue, we'd say that it was blue, because we've been taught that that colour that we see, is blue. But, if I saw that thing through your eyes, would I see the same colour?

Do we all, in reality, think of what we regard as our favourite colour as the same colour? (If you get what I mean?)

scholar - 16-9-2017 at 20:01

I think it is almost certainly true that our perceptions of colors are different, from person to person.

An extreme example of this is synesthesia, in which one sense-perception overlaps into another (such as when letters or numbers seem to have certain colors associated with them).

I understand that brain-mapping finds that the synaptic responses that one person will have to a particular stimulus may well be quite different from that which another person has. Different parts of the brain will "light up" depending upon whether the person hearing music is himself a great musician, for example.

Katzy - 16-9-2017 at 20:57

Does anyone else, here, see sounds?

I sure do.

I think we talked about this, a while back.

marymary100 - 16-9-2017 at 21:04

I don't have synaesthesia but it sounds really interesting. I have difficulty with the blue-green range of colours ordering them into levels of intensity so I'm pretty sure we don't all see them the same way.

scholar - 16-9-2017 at 22:42

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Does anyone else, here, see sounds?

I sure do.

I think we talked about this, a while back.

Not I.

Can you use it, to your advantage?
Most cases of synethesia seem to be disadvantageous.

But, in real life, people deliberately move from one kind of perception to another, with instrumentation. (Such as, my guitar tuner program converts the sound of a string to visual display, which am can more easily match by adjusting the string.)

LSemmens - 17-9-2017 at 11:07

I wish the only sound I see is when somthi8ng breaks....