Karl`s PC Help Forums

Nearly defunct words which are still relevant
marymary100 - 15-9-2017 at 08:13

Nickum A cheating or dishonest person

Peacockize To behave like a peacock; esp. to pose or strut ostentatiously

Rouzy-bouzy Boisterously drunk

Ruff To swagger, bluster, domineer. To ruff it out / to brag or boast of a thing

Tremblable Causing dread or horror; dreadful

Awhape To amaze, stupefy with fear, confound utterly

"Snout-fair", for example, means "having a fair countenance; fair-faced, comely, handsome", while "sillytonian" refers to "a silly or gullible person, esp one considered as belonging to a notional sect of such people".

"Dowsabel" is "applied generically to a sweetheart, 'lady-love'".

Margot Leadbetter, the snobby neighbour from 1970s BBC sitcom, The Good Life, could be seen as an arch example of a "percher" - someone "who aspires to a higher rank or status; an ambitious or self-assertive person".

The BBC series Trust Me is the story of a "quacksalver" - a person who "dishonestly claims knowledge of, or skill in, medicine; a pedlar of false cures".

source

John_Little - 15-9-2017 at 08:45

Heard this on Radio 4 this morning. Not sure how many will catch on. Had a bit of a merrygosorry day yesterday.

Katzy - 15-9-2017 at 10:06

I've recently read a series of novels which are set in the theatre of Elizabethan England. Some of the words they use are quite evocative and they really ought to be brught back into use.

'couse, old Bill Shakes would've had some of them in his plays.

http://www.renfaire.com/Language/insults.html

Phun to be had?

http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/elizabethan-insults.htm

scholar - 16-9-2017 at 02:17

I have the impression that the various versions of the English language are in decline, in breadth of vocabulary (both in use and in understanding) and in precision. I think there are more people writing who are not wordsmiths, and that communication is heading more toward least-common-denominator.

I am a fan of koine Greek, partly for the fact that it can be so precise in expressing meanings.

Nimuae - 16-9-2017 at 07:01

Grandma (the Irish one) used 'merrygosorry and I have seen 'quacksalver' in books but most of those on MMs post are new to me.

John_Little - 16-9-2017 at 07:18

Scholar has a point about modern writers not being "word smiths. Lots of action and plot but rarely more than prosaic. I like Peter May - notably his Lewis Trilogy. Nice use of language although not a lot of old terms. Unless they're Gaelic.

Katzy - 16-9-2017 at 13:31

I enjoy novels where the author paints pictures, with words (If that makes sense?).

Although his stuff couldn't be classed as classical literature, Edward Marston/Keith Miles/Conrad Allen/Martin Inigo is quite good, at that. He spins a good yarn, too.

John_Little - 16-9-2017 at 14:40

Makes perfect sense to me. Totally agree. Try peter may.

"Silence fell like down after a duck fight"

scholar - 16-9-2017 at 19:52

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Scholar has a point about modern writers not being "word smiths. Lots of action and plot but rarely more than prosaic.

Think of Dan Brown. Some of his word choices show that he does not understand the meanings of the words he chooses!

I remember a character in an electric wheelchair who glided along "seemingly effortlessly." waggyfinger

If you are in a working electric wheelchair, it had BETTER really be moving effortlessly!

John_Little - 17-9-2017 at 08:01

:D

Excellent!

marymary100 - 17-9-2017 at 09:04

Dan Brown overuses "gunning" the accelerator imo. I am reading a book called Housekeeping which was written about 20 years ago. The author has a lovely turn of phrase but my friend hasn't enjoyed it and therein lies the rub. People have become used to plot-driven narratives and the wordsmith isn't popular any more.

LSemmens - 17-9-2017 at 10:32

None of the words from Mary's first post have ever come across my field of purview, hence, I am, unlikely to ever quoin a phrase where I might use them.