Karl`s PC Help Forums

Well-preserved dinosaur
scholar - 14-5-2017 at 14:34

Link

Don't be put off by the name nodosaur. It is a kind of ankylosaurus.

Quote:
The dinosaur is so well preserved that it “might have been walking around a couple of weeks ago,” Vinther says.

A couple of weeks ago? No.

But, thousands of years ago, instead of hundreds of millions of years ago? That would fit.

JackInCT - 14-5-2017 at 15:51

For all the wrong reasons, I found myself contemplating the reaction of homo sapiens around this planet if the researchers, in examining this specimen, found the remains of some Neanderthal in its gut.

scholar - 14-5-2017 at 18:41

Scientists who thought that dinosaurs lived hundreds of millions of years ago used to point to fossils, claiming that the replacement of the organic material with fossil minerals pointed to long spans of time necessary for this to take place (even though the nature of the question means their assertion was unverifiable). Now that field research has established that many fossils include a lot of biological remains that have not been replaced with minerals, that argument is not just undercut. If biological remains do not last for great spans of time, they point to more recent dating.

Dated human historical records go back more than the 6000+ years that some Christians mistakenly think the Bible teaches, so I do not believe the earth is younger than recorded history. But an age of hundreds of millions of years? No.

scholar - 14-5-2017 at 18:56

Quote:
Originally posted by JackInCT
For all the wrong reasons, I found myself contemplating the reaction of homo sapiens around this planet if the researchers, in examining this specimen, found the remains of some Neanderthal in its gut.

I have long been of the opinion that hunters killed many of the larger dinosaurs. They could well have been attractive targets for the simple fact that a single kill would result in a lot of meat. If hunters working together used weapons at vulnerable spots (e.g. getting the brain through an eye opening), successful methods could have been worked out.

John_Little - 14-5-2017 at 19:10

I know dinosaurs and man lived at the same time. I've seen the Flintstones.

scholar - 14-5-2017 at 19:13

There are various places on earth where old man-made images of dinosaurs can be found.

Before the modern word dinosaur was coined, our ancestors would have called many of them dragons.

marymary100 - 14-5-2017 at 19:16

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
I know dinosaurs and man lived at the same time. I've seen the Flintstones.

One of my favourite children's poems

Steam Shovel by Charles Malam

The dinosaurs are not all dead.
I saw one raise its ugly head
To watch me walking down the road
Beyond our house today.
Its jaws were dripping with a load
Of earth and grass that it had cropped
It must have heard me where I stopped,
Snorted white steam my way,
And stretched its long neck out to see,
And chewed, and grinned quite amiably.

JackInCT - 14-5-2017 at 20:14

Quote:
Quote:
Steam Shovel by Charles Malam

To reopen a long, long ago controversy, the Puff The Magic Dragon poem song was considered by some to be elevating/encouraging/etc. marijuana. Well you have to be a of certain age to recall that era.

I see a clear cut unmistakable reference in this poem to "grass" being consumed in an edible form, as well as "snorted white steam" being produced. Hmmm..

Perhaps, just perhaps, it really wasn't intended to be a children's poem after all....just saying.

I guess an "amiable" state of mind is something that we all wish was a constant in our lives; whether that should be attained chemically, or by non-chemical means, should be left for another topic.

marymary100 - 14-5-2017 at 20:35

Gossip blows the curtains straight

LSemmens - 15-5-2017 at 04:15

Puff was a good fella, I knew him well........

John_Little - 15-5-2017 at 07:27

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100

I tried googling that phrase with no luck. It sounds profound.

Badgergirl - 15-5-2017 at 15:24

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
There are various places on earth where old man-made images of dinosaurs can be found.

Before the modern word dinosaur was coined, our ancestors would have called many of them dragons.

There are species of lizard that have existed since our human ancestors walked the earth, and many would have existed (and gone extinct) within the span of sapien existence. Big Lizard fossils and cave art doth not a dino make....

All animal life on the planet today has DNA from these earlier creatures, such is the progress of evolution.

What geology and paliontology and biology can show us is that there were hundreds of thousands of creatures that existed before the Earth cooled to it's current state hundreds of millions of years ago.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9936-top-10-dinosaur-myths/

Points 8 and 9....

John_Little - 15-5-2017 at 17:01

So. What exactly is a "dinosaur"? I thought it was slang for "terrible lizard". Ah. Are we making a distinction between reptiles and lizards?

marymary100 - 15-5-2017 at 17:35

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100

I tried googling that phrase with no luck. It sounds profound.
It's a line from a poem by the same poet which was published by the New Yorker in the 50s. It seems very apropos as a response to Jack's post.

Sadly I am not willing to spend a $ to find out the rest of the poem.

John_Little - 15-5-2017 at 20:15

Ah! I got that far. I saw an old new York post article that seemed relevant but didn't drill into it.

LSemmens - 16-5-2017 at 22:23

Thanks for that link, BG. I did find one statement interesting'

Quote:
Flying reptiles called pterosaurs first appeared just after the dinosaurs, and then died out at the same time as the dinosaurs.

Can anyone spot the problem? kewl_glasses

John_Little - 17-5-2017 at 05:47

kewl_glasses

John_Little - 17-5-2017 at 07:54

Co-incidentally, I am just listening to an item on the BBC Today Programme about the meteor that allegedly caused the extinction of the dinosaurs. The problem is, the meteor wasn't really big enough to cause that much damage. So, the theory now is that what did the damage, was the speed with which it hit the earth.

But more than that. The thing that caused the acceleration, is now thought to have been .........wait for it............Dark Matter!

Personally, I more inclined to blame "The Speed Force" - with capital letters. But then I could be suffering from too much exposure to "The Flash".

Edit: Not the BBC but the same story:-

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/263620/did-dark-matter-wipe-out-the-dinosaurs

Badgergirl - 18-5-2017 at 15:19

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens

Quote:
Flying reptiles called pterosaurs first appeared just after the dinosaurs, and then died out at the same time as the dinosaurs.

Not really no, as Dinosaurs are a particular set of classifications not "all the wildlife that existed before the extinction event".http://www.dictionary.com/browse/dinosaur

Some expand the definition to include bird life from the Triassic-Jurassic era, others don't.

Badgergirl - 18-5-2017 at 15:46

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evidence_against_a_recent_creation

As well as dismantling the young earth arguments, this site goes on to explain how Scientists have calculated the age of the earth beyond what Carbon dating and dendrochronology can measure.

LSemmens - 19-5-2017 at 08:16

It was more the "fact" that the pterosaurs appeared just after the dinosaurs, yet, they became extinct at about the same time as dinosaurs.
As to the "young earth, or old earth" arguments, they are irrelevant in this context. Unless, of course, we are still talking about that old rascal, Puff.

JackInCT - 19-5-2017 at 12:49

Quote:
... Unless, of course, we are still talking about that old rascal, Puff.

Would you mind leaving Puff out of this; I have no way of knowing just how widespread across the planet the made up controversy that it was a song glorifying marijuana. For those of a certain age, the singing group, Peter, Paul, and Mary were the ones who released the song on a record (probably both as a single and a vinyl album). They were quite popular, and had a number of hit songs over an extended period. No idea if their fame via concerts, radio, etc., was worldwide, & if so, did the controversy re Puff follow them.

They were very active in the anti-Vietnam movement; I leave it to your imagination as to what role that played in fomenting the controversy.

They still perform by the way, at least on public TV during fund raising periods.

Mary has had a good deal of negative things to say about her relationship with the other members of the group.

Badgergirl - 19-5-2017 at 14:15

Quote:
Quote:
... Unless, of course, we are still talking about that old rascal, Puff.

Would you mind leaving Puff out of this; I have no way of knowing just how widespread across the planet the made up controversy that it was a song glorifying marijuana. For those of a certain age, the singing group, Peter, Paul, and Mary were the ones who released the song on a record (probably both as a single and a vinyl album). They were quite popular, and had a number of hit songs over an extended period. No idea if their fame via concerts, radio, etc., was worldwide, & if so, did the controversy re Puff follow them.

They were very active in the anti-Vietnam movement; I leave it to your imagination as to what role that played in fomenting the controversy.

They still perform by the way, at least on public TV during fund raising periods.

Mary has had a good deal of negative things to say about her relationship with the other members of the group.

They don't seem to mind the "controversy", jokingly putting the song "on trial" by the audience at the Sidney Opera House a few years ago. It was declared innocent...by a whisker.

LSemmens - 20-5-2017 at 02:48

I know about the controversy, but it's still fun. They just happened to sing it at the right time. smokin:

John_Little - 20-5-2017 at 09:51

Did you know that if you play it backwards you hear the shipping forecast for German Bight?

scholar - 20-5-2017 at 22:38

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think there is a logical problem with the assertion, which I understand to be elliptical.
Quote:
Flying reptiles called pterosaurs first appeared just after the dinosaurs [appeared], and then died out at the same time as thedinosaurs [died out]. (words referenced in meaning but not repeated are supplied by Scholar in brackets)

scholar - 20-5-2017 at 22:50

Quote:
Originally posted by Badgergirl
Quote:

There are species of lizard that have existed since our human ancestors walked the earth, and many would have existed (and gone extinct) within the span of sapien existence. Big Lizard fossils and cave art doth not a dino make....

All animal life on the planet today has DNA from these earlier creatures, such is the progress of evolution.

What geology and paliontology and biology can show us is that there were hundreds of thousands of creatures that existed before the Earth cooled to it's current state hundreds of millions of years ago.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9936-top-10-dinosaur-myths/

Points 8 and 9....

Empirical science cannot show us that anything happened hundreds of millions of years before mankind, because there was no human observer to make records that would verify the date. The touchstone of the scientific method is testing theories so as to be able to discard what doesn't match the real world. Those who put their faith in macro-evolution over hundreds of millions of years make untestable assertions with respect to the dates of the evidence. Indeed, in instances where there is contrary evidence, they continue to hold to their theories in spite of the evidence.

scholar - 20-5-2017 at 22:53

Quote:

Mary died in 2009.

LSemmens - 21-5-2017 at 04:56

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think there is a logical problem with the assertion, which I understand to be elliptical.
Quote:
Flying reptiles called pterosaurs first appeared just after the dinosaurs [appeared], and then died out at the same time as thedinosaurs [died out]. (words referenced in meaning but not repeated are supplied by Scholar in brackets)

The problem, though, scholar is that your commentary is NOT what They said.

Pedant??? Moi????? nananana

JackInCT - 21-5-2017 at 22:05

Quote:
Quote:

Mary died in 2009.

Many of the vids during fund raising time are not dated as to when they were made; sometimes the vids include flashbacks. Probably during the end of the vids during the roll of the credits, there is a 'in memoriam' noted. I don't have the patience to sit through any of them since the vids are interrupted re calls to 'contribute'.

For those across the ponds, these periodic PBS fund raisers are not just once/twice a year. And there is a hefty number of musical vids. Whoever is responsible for vids selection must have a very limited budget as there is, without fail, always (the same one) on the Carpenters, the Mamas & The Popas, and on and on. PBS must spend a good deal on the stats for the contributors, as there is ALWAYS numerous ones about the early days of R & R, to include much overused footage from Dick Clark, Ed Sullivan, ad nauseam, I. e., the major contributors must be the elderly.

I would note for those across the pond, each local PBS station does it's own fundraising so if you get several PBS stations like I do, they all occur at the same time. One of the most interesting things about PBS is that I don't ever recall a program which breakdown what they do with their funds, i. e., as an example what ones of these Ken Burns 'specials' costs. Clearly PBS has never heard of transparency re the funding that it gets from its viewers. IF Ken Burns does one of his specials for free, I'm sure that would be newsworthy.

LSemmens - 22-5-2017 at 09:59

Quote:
the Mamas & The Popas,
The Mamas and the Papas might acually elicit more donations than the unknown group you highlight, Jack. nananana