Karl`s PC Help Forums

Food Delivery Robots Are Rolling Out In San Francisco
JackInCT - 12-4-2017 at 16:52

Food delivery robots are rolling out in San Francisco

CNET article 04/12/17

FYI: this article makes frequent reference to a company called "Marble" without any explanation about it.

c & p of most of this article:

On a giant screen at Marble's San Francisco headquarters, I'm watching one of their robots deliver my lunch.

The four-wheeled bot is bigger than I expected. To give you an idea of scale, it's built on top of an electric wheelchair base, the cargo bay can hold up to four grocery bags at a time and it's just over 4 feet tall.

It uses various sensors, including Lidar, or light detection and ranging technology like used in self-driving cars, to help it navigate city sidewalks. The robot rolls along at a leisurely walking pace of 3-4 miles per hour.

Partnering with Yelp Eat24, a handful of Marble robots are now delivering orders in two San Francisco neighborhoods: Mission and Potrero Hill.

Each robot is modular, so components like the cargo bay can be swapped in or out depending on the delivery type.

"We're initially starting with the meal delivery, we're also looking at other markets like grocery and pharmacy," said Matthew Delaney, CEO and co-founder of Marble.

When you place an order, the robot navigates to the restaurant where orders are placed in hot bags in the cargo bay. You receive a text message with a code to unlock the food when it arrives.

The robots will be able to complete an entire shift, around 6-8 hours. During the initial phase, a handful of robots will be completing dinner time deliveries in San Francisco over short distances of 1-1.5 miles. Human handlers will accompany the robots and can take control if needed.

The Marble bots are also creating high-resolution maps of the sidewalk, detecting things like potholes and cracks in the path. The idea is that this data can be used to track conditions of the sidewalk and potentially feed back reports for infrastructure purposes.

Me here: no mention of fees involved. I guess I will have to wait for the utube vid of the very first hijack of one of these bots--it seems it's getting harder and harder to find brand new/original ideas for a 15 min claim to fame event--what a shame that is!!!! By the way, a 2nd idea for a vid is for the first cop to give one of these bots a ticket for some infraction, i. e, whether they are subject to the same legal stuff that motorized vehicles are, i. e. #2, whether they are "street legal" will come up sooner rather than later [motorized wheelchairs don't require any registrationbut that's only because most (NOT all) politicians realize that would blow up in their faces].

marymary100 - 12-4-2017 at 17:05

The older I get, the more sympathy I have for the Luddites.

John_Little - 12-4-2017 at 18:16

What have the robots ever done for us?

John_Little - 12-4-2017 at 18:18

Thinking about it. If they used giraffes, they could deliver to people in apartment blocks.

marymary100 - 12-4-2017 at 18:41

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Thinking about it. If they used giraffes, they could deliver to people in apartment blocks.
:D

LSemmens - 12-4-2017 at 23:00

I can just imagine one of these negotiating their way through peak hour pedestrian traffic. They'll bee sitting on there side walk for hours because they perceive that their path is blocked by an impenetrable wall (of people)

JackInCT - 13-4-2017 at 00:25

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
... They'll bee sitting on there side walk for hours because they perceive that their path is blocked by an impenetrable wall (of people)

Unless of course they have been programmed by United Airlines!!!

John_Little - 13-4-2017 at 09:06

Perhaps some sort of gun? Or rotating knives?

LSemmens - 14-4-2017 at 04:36

:D

Quaver - 14-4-2017 at 15:14

John_Little - 14-4-2017 at 16:19

Yup. That would do it.

marymary100 - 14-4-2017 at 17:06

They can even hover up the stairs.

LSemmens - 15-4-2017 at 00:55

Where's that "like" button.