Karl`s PC Help Forums

putting on a single faucett handle
scholar - 31-3-2017 at 23:56

Here's the problem--

The handle of our kitchen faucet came off. It is the kind where one control handles the hot-cold mix AND the on-off-or-flow-rate.

I would like to position it in the classic position, where straight is an equal mix of hot and cold, so that moving it toward either side would increase the hot or the cold, from neutral.

But, how do I know where that even, neutral mix is?

(It is kind of like trying to put your steering wheel on so that it is straight when the wheels are pointed straight forward--but, I can't look at the wheels with respect to the water mix.)

In addition, I have the problem of getting the handle firmly on. It came loose before, and it seems only to have a set screw, other than whatever degree the cavity in the handle fits over the control.

In the US some people call this a Delta faucet, because it was an early brand name, sort of like when Brits refer to floor vacuum cleaning as hoovering.

Has anyone here put on one of these?

I realize I can search engine this for a video. But, I was thinking of it as a practical logic problem, perhaps worth some conversation. How would you approach it?

LSemmens - 1-4-2017 at 00:45

Buy a new one!

scholar - 1-4-2017 at 01:24

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Buy a new one!

If I buy a new one, I would still have to assemble it so as to put the handle on the water control spindle. So, I would face the identical problem.

JackInCT - 1-4-2017 at 01:26

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Buy a new one!

BAAAD Idea. A new one would have connections that have to be made that have to done perfectly--you're working at odd angles, and likely on your hands and knees--AND you face the perennial issues of undertightening/overtightening the connections; if a single connection ever gives way the water damage is hugely expensive (if you're not home to close the valves, i. e., you will hear the unmistakable sound of gushing water).

Electrical connections and water connections should always be done by a licensed plumber/electrician--the hook ups look simple, and yes, they really are, but the problem for a DIY is a lack of experience to visually see/recognize a installation mistake.

These single handle faucets have a cartridge inside and a video is well worth the time; IF you don't have the instructions/the original box the faucet came in, it will be very difficult to go to the manufacturers support webpage since it's set up by the model numbers; some of these faucets look very similar to one another (I've never seen a part number stamped anywhere on my faucets). In mine, the faucet handle has to be set into the cartridge in a very specific way or the hot and cold are reversed (or for that matter the handle isn't inserted into the cartridge at all).

I have Moen faucets and their phone tech support is outstanding re talking you through the process (which has it's limits if you're tied down to a land line phone in another room).

By the way at least some, perhaps most, home faucets are secured with compression fittings--that's a difference experience than pure nuts and bolts fittings. Finding someone with experience to 'supervise' would be a huge plus.

marymary100 - 1-4-2017 at 07:11

Isn't that a job for the landlord?

scholar - 1-4-2017 at 22:18

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Isn't that a job for the landlord?

It should be.

But, since the new landlord (since the property was sold) has many properties, I am not inclined to bother him if I can do a good job without significant expense.

Also, I think he put it on once already, and it came loose, so I think he did not do a sufficiently good job the first time.

scholar - 1-4-2017 at 22:23

thankingyou
for the information, Jack.

The handle fits onto a spindle that seems to rotate like a clock with the handle being a hand of the clock, and the rotation controls the hot/cold mix. The greater-or-lesser-flow seems to be controlled by an up-and-down movement in the nature of a ball joint.

I might look at some videos to get some ideas.

JackInCT - 2-4-2017 at 01:10

This embedded image is nothing more than an example of a faucet, I. e., if the expression "your mileage may vary" ever has an application, it is in regard to the internal parts of a faucet--more or less similar is NOT the very same thing as exactly the same, but it may be sufficient for you to get by with.

These exploded view pixs are really great for reassembling the faucet in the correct order AKA having no parts left over.

The only viable way to get such a exploded view for your particular faucet is to know BOTH the manufacturer AND the model NUMBER, i. e., there are a great many similar looking faucets on the manufacturers website; AND to add to the problems, the manufacturer may NOT have legacy install instructions for a faucet it discontinued making (but maybe a web search would turn the owner "manual" up).

At the very bottom of the pix, it appears that there is what is typically called a rubber "O" ring ["O" as in the letter O]. It absolutely has to be coated with grease, and I don't mean axle grease either--it's in the plumbing section of a home improvement center, and even a novice plumbing dept sales person would know where since it's such a common need for reinstalling a faucet. Did I mention that "O" rings come in different diameters????

Your reluctance to have your landlord replace the faucet may have to be put aside if all you're doing is guessing what the faucet model is, and in turn what the parts are that are needed. If you do that, save the box the new faucet comes in/and the instruction sheets [save as in store themsomewhere where you won't forget where they are for use in the future].

Did I happen to mention, that you shouldn't expect your local home improvement center to stock the replacement parts for your faucet (maybe yes/maybe no). You may be forced to order them from the manufacturer, and the time frame for delivery may NOT impress you re the speed.

At one point, I ordered a 2nd identical faucet in order to cannibalize the parts as needed (AND I saved the old faucet when it was completely replaced just to have access to its parts); the joys of having a full basement.

marymary100 - 2-4-2017 at 11:04

*Disclaimer

If in any doubt, you should consult an appropriately qualified expert for specific advice before acting on any of the information contained in any area of this website. You should never attempt to carry out any activity which may put you or others at risk or which may cause damage to your or anyone else's property. The activities described above shouldn't be attempted by anyone inexperienced.

:)

scholar - 5-4-2017 at 00:43

My Delta-style faucet handle is not anything close to as complicated as John's picture. It is very much like a common faucet, with respect to the fact that a spindle sticks up out of the faucet workings, and the handle goes externally onto the spindle. There is nothing about the handle connection at all involved with water flow. (Sort of like the knob one puts on a stove. If you have the right size and fit of knob, it would work just as well to have an old TV channel selector knob. Indeed, I know of a person in need of a stove knob who used a TV channel knob for that purpose until a stock part could be obtained.:D;))

Again, my main logic question--how to line it up in the neutral position between hot and cold?

LSemmens - 5-4-2017 at 00:54

You are renting. That is your MAIN consideration. Your secondary one is NOT YOUR PROBLEM.The only action that you need take is TELL YOUR LANDLORD!

John_Little - 5-4-2017 at 08:26

Ok. The left and right movement is very limited. Its not like a regular tap that goes round and round. And, as you say, off and on is up and down. Presumably, when it came off, it was in the centre area. So just put it back and see. Even trial and error wouldn't take a life time to get it right. If you put it back and it goes more in one direction than the other, you've got it wrong. It should move equally in both directions. Fully cold and fully hot. It really isn't rocket science.

sceptre - 6-4-2017 at 20:04

Also re. the replacement , any I've ever seen were already assembled , only one screw and washer to fix tap to the sink plus the water connections ... compression fittings as already described .

John_Little - 7-4-2017 at 07:52

And they use,micro bore fittings and they're really fiddly. And you mustn't over tighten.

marymary100 - 7-4-2017 at 14:28

Make a video of it and post it here to instruct others in what to do/not to do.

JackInCT - 7-4-2017 at 15:11

Quote:
Make a video of it and post it here to instruct others in what to do/not to do.

Just out of curiosity, how could you post a video on this forum, i. e., is what you have in mind something like an upload to a YouTube type site, and then post the URL here, or it is something else?

marymary100 - 7-4-2017 at 16:05

I think youtube would be the way to go. I've never tried doing it on here tbh.

JackInCT - 8-4-2017 at 00:36

Quote:
I think youtube would be the way to go. I've never tried doing it on here tbh.

FYI: there already exists a multitude of tutorial type videos on uTube and similar sites on this subject matter--maybe NOT the exact same model as the one that you're trying to install but similar enough so that the differences are irrelevant.

There are also home improvement type TV shows that archive projects vids on their websites. Installing a faucet would be a very likely subject matter for one of their vids.

Ditto re the manufacturer's website re vids and written tutorials, as well as toll free telephone numbers (their vids are also often on utube)--the telephone call in are invariably manned by personnel with an actual background in plumbing.

And last but not least, there are written out instructions type websites with a decent amount of still pixs, I. e, you print out/hard copy their tutorials.

marymary100 - 8-4-2017 at 09:02

I get a plumber in, cheaper in the long run...

John_Little - 8-4-2017 at 12:10

No its not.

marymary100 - 8-4-2017 at 13:38

'Tis, if you get it wrong.

scholar - 8-4-2017 at 18:49

Quote:
'Tis, if you get it wrong.

That is absolutely correct, if I do anything I can't undo. My personal plan is not to do anything I can't undo.

Somebody here might remember I posted about replacing water control on a bathroom tub-and-shower some time back. I saw how to do it, IF the parts would come apart without breaking. But, the parts were old, and I would have had to keep the water off while working on it, and there might be a delay in getting a pro if I were unable to complete the job properly--so, I left the landlord's man to do it.

The landlord is coming by for the rent tomorrow, so I'm going to ask him to do it. I think it may be easy for a person with 1-experience 2-kinesthetic operational abilities.

When I was tested in various ways to determine my mental functioning (in connection with ADD diagnosis), I found that I am low-functioning with respect to kinesthetic operations. Things that a mechanic or plumber or electrician might do by feel, even if he can't see what is happening, were very hard for me to do. I am strongly visually oriented in my cognition, as are most people who excel in math.

I suspect Leigh would have put the handle on in a matter of a few minutes. Then, if it wasn't right, he would have taken it off and done it again. And again, if necessary.

John_Little - 9-4-2017 at 07:55

Our shower handle keeps coming off and it's east to put back. I really ought to tighten the screw.

marymary100 - 9-4-2017 at 09:05

I pay a monthly fee to get all heating and pipework attended to if need be. If I outlive my father I will move away from this village and buy a new house with fewer pipes needing replaced.

JackInCT - 9-4-2017 at 13:21

Quote:
....buy a new house with fewer pipes needing replaced.

In the little known, and less cared about category, re plumbing pipes, and specifically copper pipes: copper plumbing pipes (for the hot and cold water applications) were, apparently, when my father "modernized" this house back in the 50's, the norm.

Most of these pipes (but not all) developed tiny (as in miniscule) hairline "cracks" on their very bottom parts [a kind of 'seam' that ran thelength of the pipe], i. e., visible to the naked eye [I have the municipal water company supplier].

I never knew/realized that copper pipes could wear out (although the "contents" of the water probably had something to do with it). I can only guess as to the consequences to my intestines if metal pipes will wear out (re the water being ingested). My plumber replaced said pipes with, I think, PVC or some kind of "plastic" type material, i. e., copper prices are out of this world.

And as a "bonus", I would imagine that I got doses of copper in my body from the water I drank from the tap.

John_Little - 9-4-2017 at 16:04

Drink beer. It's safer.

LSemmens - 9-4-2017 at 23:54

Plumbing has had many iterations over the years. Copper, cold galv, PVc and HDPE is the latest. I prefer PVC. Copper is best, but the cost of it makes it prohibitive. Cold gal is just too hard to work with. PVC requires care in making joints but is easy to work with. burying PVC, as with HDPE required a clean sand fill around it. any stones against it will eventually cause a leak. HDPE is the easiest to work with but the caveat is the all joints are made using compression fittings which are prone to failure.

scholar - 11-4-2017 at 00:49

Quote:
Originally posted by JackInCT

I never knew/realized that copper pipes could wear out (although the "contents" of the water probably had something to do with it).

Many electricians have run a ground wire to copper pipes. Under some conditions, some of the metal molecules migrate in the manner of electroplating.

John_Little - 11-4-2017 at 08:04

But have you fixed the tap, though?

scholar - 12-4-2017 at 01:26

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
But have you fixed the tap, though?

The tap works with the handle loose on it, so it doesn't absolutely need fixing.

I mentioned that I would have the landlord do it when he came by to get the rent.

But Ruby tells me the landlord's son's back has been broken, recently, and the family is centered on him right now. No one has even come by to get the rent. I certainly understand their concern and focus! But, I don't expect any repairs in our near future.