Karl`s PC Help Forums

Fancy a flutter?
John_Little - 19-1-2017 at 09:57

According to the bookies (betting shops over in the UK), the odds on Trump being impeached are 50/50.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-impeached-us-president-bookies-offer-even-odds-us-congress-inaugur ation-a7531536.html

I wanted to post a poll as a sort of sweep stake but it doesn't seem to be an option here. But I think you'd have to cross your fingers to say you don't think Trump is the most unusual President in modern times. But how long will he last?

The full term?
1 year?
A few months?

And how will he go?

Impeachment
Throw in the towel
Revolution
Or by the concept of those who live by the sword?

Of course, looking at his red face and angry tweets, his health may be a major issue.

I hope its not the dying by the sword bit. My money is on him throwing in the towel after a year or so. What about everyone else?

LSemmens - 19-1-2017 at 10:53

Either Trump is going to be a breath of fresh air that America needs, or he is going to be the smell of a stinking cesspool. Somehow I suspect he may not last his first term through no direct action on his part. Either he will be impeached, or someone might think it may be good to shoot him.

John_Little - 19-1-2017 at 11:59

you may think that. I couldn't possibly comment..............

waffler - 19-1-2017 at 13:27

Full term 8 years waveysmiley

sceptre - 19-1-2017 at 15:14

Those odds are a bit generous ,
I reckon the real power brokers will encourage him to
go sooner than later

JackInCT - 19-1-2017 at 20:12

It's very obvious that a good many folks on this board don't like Donald as a person, never mind his political views/positions/policies.

I have to wonder if his detractors (which are more often than not likely to also be his opponents on his legislative agenda) see in him as a kind of avatar for a large number of USA folks for the way/style he throws his weight around, i. e., they would also like to emmulate his style but don't feel that they could ever safely get away with it without some serious negative consequences to their own selves.

The forecast/predictions in the comments about him has a decided doom and gloom taint. I suspect that those see him very much in the vein of the 'Rise & Fall Of The Roman Empire' along the lines of Nero/Caligula. Rome didn't fall solely on the basis of the actions of just one individual; it fell because of a culture of its peoples and certainly not because they didn't see it coming. And it certainly didn't fall because it lacked the insight into the needed institutional reforms that could have prevented it from collapsing. But reforms are based on values (and aspirations), both personal and social. Perhaps what is being written on this board is a perception that the USA has 'run its course', and that there is not enough critical mass to make the effort to stop what amounts to a runaway freight train. After all no one really expects the USA to pay any attention at all to what's good for the rest of the world. That's what many people on this board are really afraid of.

John_Little - 19-1-2017 at 21:09

.........................right...............................

LSemmens - 19-1-2017 at 21:24

You may be correct, Jack, the interesting thing is that we only have the media portrayal of the man and America. None of which are too flattering. Given his views, and his presentation, he is very polarising. I'd hope that he does make his full term, and is a good president, however, given the aforementioned fact, I suspect that some nut job with a gun, or worse, will have a go at him, and just may succeed as I don't think that Trump is going to take too kindly to his minders saying, "You can't do that".

As an aside, Obama had similar cr*p when he was elected regarding his ethnicity, though not as polarising, and IMO, he didn't turn out too badly. The American people must have thought so, too having elected him for a second term, and there were no real "incidents" to report. i.e. attempted assassinations.

marymary100 - 19-1-2017 at 23:48

The guy's a maroon, but he's your maroon and you voted for him. ;)

You're going to reap just what you sow.

I am looking forward to the inauguration. More than that though I am looking forward to women refusing to be manhandled by males with a sense of entitlement.

scholar - 20-1-2017 at 02:54

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Either he will be impeached, or someone might think it may be good to shoot him.

Impeachment is highly unlikely. Only the House of Representatives can impeach, and their party affiliation is 241 Republicans to 194 Democrats. And, if the President were impeached, the trial would go to the Senate, where the GOP holds the majority, 52 to 48.

In the case of the last president to be impeached, Bill Clinton, various Senators who believed him to be guilty nonetheless did not vote to remove him from office for reasons such as, the crime is not serious enough, or it would be hard on the country to lose the president when so much needed to be done.

John_Little - 20-1-2017 at 10:17

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
The guy's a maroon, but he's your maroon and you voted for him. ;)

You're going to reap just what you sow.

I am looking forward to the inauguration. More than that though I am looking forward to women refusing to be manhandled by males with a sense of entitlement.

We intend to watch it. I think its an historic occasion. For some reason we didn't watch Obama's even though that was just as historic.

But even though Jack and Waffler and Scholar may have voted for him, they were actually in the minority - albeit a close run thing. So more than 50% of Americans are apparently sane. I was trying to guestimate what the percentage of support for Trump was outside of the US. I was going to say 90% against but then thought of all the dodgy political parties and their supporter, The Front Nationale, UKIP, etc etc. So I had to revise that down to 70%.

They played an interview with Trump from last year or the year before where the interviewer asked him if he was still considering running. There were a number of complaints to the BBC about them wasting time and resources on such a ridiculous interview with someone that no one took seriously. As the man said, they should have had a bet back then.

Edit: Mrs L has just pointed out that Reagan was younger when he was first elected than Trump is now. That has to be portentous.

Katzy - 20-1-2017 at 13:07

One thing, about Obama. Whether you agreed with him, or not, he was a good guy and his wife and family were, obviously, good people.

Trump comes over as a spoilt buffoon. He may well earnestly believe the things he's said. But, the promises he made are just like the promises that Brexiteers made. Totally undeliverable and they know it. They'd've promised anything to achieve their goals, even though they knew those promises were hollow. Thing is, they also knew that there are people so disenfranchised with the current system, that they knew a LOT of people are dumb enough to believe them.

JackInCT - 20-1-2017 at 13:47

On the plus side for Donald, I doubt that anyone has taken note that he has NOT (at least so far) nominated his horse for a cabinet position. Stay tuned though!

The embedded pix shows Donald modeling his wife's new line of attire that she designed especially for his inauguration.

John_Little - 20-1-2017 at 15:08

That's Mr Ed and I claim my $5!

JackInCT - 20-1-2017 at 15:33

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
That's Mr Ed and I claim my $5!

OK you lost me on the $5 bit reference; would you please clarify (AND if you happen to be somewhere where this is occurring, one of the "olde" [only] over the air TV channels recently broadcast all of the Mr Ed episodes). I guess there's enough 50's/60's/70's TV shows that lasted at least a few years to fill up an entire channel. A similar one is broadcasting all the Dick Cavett shows--some of those are still topical re his guests, and especially his interviewing style which IMO was great journalism background/backstory stuff which he extracted by his well formed questions.

John_Little - 20-1-2017 at 17:17

Its a common reference to the days when you were urged to spot an emissary of a company (Duff Man or some other icon of industry) just walking about a bit somewhere and claim a reward.

marymary100 - 21-1-2017 at 00:52

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=AICM

JackInCT - 21-1-2017 at 01:29

Is "...fellow frumite's..." some kind of a contraction of 'fellow forumite', or maybe just plain olde sloppy spelling? Or something else entirely?

marymary100 - 21-1-2017 at 09:15

It seems to be a genuine corruption as well as a soup.

John_Little - 21-1-2017 at 10:39

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=AICM

Blimey, MM. Well spotted that woman!

Edit: And surely I don't have to explain who Mr Ed was?

JackInCT - 21-1-2017 at 14:42

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Edit: And surely I don't have to explain who Mr Ed was?

Well you don't for Ed, but I presume that neither side of the pond has much in the way of a real idea which TV shows migrated across, and to complicate matters which TV markets when they did appear, what geographically speaking, actually had the option of viewing them (and whether they did or not to the point of being a 'hit' (large audience) is a related matter).

In a somewhat inexplicable reality, American Public Television (technically called the "Public Broadcasting System" [PBS]--roughly comparable to the BBC) has featured for innumerable years UK TV programs, with a large helping of detective shows.

While PBS has broadcast stations in almost all major USA cities (and probably in just about every state), its audience seems to be a fraction, numbers wise, of the overall TV viewing audience [and factoring in the over the air broadcast audience numbers versus the cable/satellite TV/etc. audience(and the overlap) is far too complicated for me to attempt].

In what I presume is driven by cost, there are UK TV programs (which I presume were once big hits in Great Britain), being broadcast today on local PBS on a weekly basis that were clearly produced decades ago--example: The East Enders. I have no way of knowing IF anyone actually watches that program, or IF the PBS station cares about that, i. e., maybe it's just broadcast to fill in "holes" in TV schedule. Cooking shows are in abundance on PBS stations--likely cause they're relatively inexpensive to produce and the chef has a certain amount of 'fans' based on his/her persona.

John_Little - 21-1-2017 at 17:19

We watched the very first episode of Mr Ed on Youtube last year.