Karl`s PC Help Forums

Do you remember this ...
Nimuae - 6-11-2016 at 09:47

... JOURNEY INTO SPACE

Radio series in the 1950s - on the BBC Home Service! It was my dad's favourate radio programme and woe betide anyone who interrupted.

Starring:-
Andrew Faulds as Captain Andrew (Jet) Morgan

Guy Kingsley Poynter as Doctor Daniel (Doc) Matthews

Bruce Beeby}
Don Sharp} all played Stephen (Mitch) Mitchell in various episodes
David Williams}

David Kossoff as Lemuel (Lemmy) Barnet in series 2
Alfie Bass as Lemmy in series 1 and 3

David Jacobs as just about everybody else - including the announcer.

I have it all on disc - and still love listening to it - although some of it is a bit dated now e.g, meals consisting of orange juice and vacuum packed sandwiches, or Lemmy not realising about weightlessness! It is still good fun.

John_Little - 6-11-2016 at 11:48

Slightly before my time, I think. Only slightly.

Nimuae - 6-11-2016 at 23:09

Oh come on - I cannot be the only 'golden oldie' in here !

LSemmens - 7-11-2016 at 02:25

I don't know if it ever made it down under, it sounds like something I would have enjoyed. Saturday mornings were always "The Science show" followed by "The Goons"

John_Little - 7-11-2016 at 09:04

It is vaguely familiar. But I was born in the fifties so would have been quite young.

Katzy - 7-11-2016 at 14:39

Tiny bit before my time...

...Granny. ;)

Nimuae - 7-11-2016 at 16:12

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Tiny bit before my time...

...Granny. ;)

Cheeky !waveysmileywaveysmiley

Katzy - 7-11-2016 at 20:31

Moi? As if! [bad img]http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/cangel.gif[/bad img]

I just about remember Zachary Smith and Robbie the Robot. Fireball XL5, Stingray, SuperCar, that kinda stuff.

Land of the giants.

scholar - 8-11-2016 at 01:05

Dr. Smith of Lost in Space was on the tube at the same time as Star Trek. I remember reading that Gene Roddenberry first pitched his show to that network, which seemed to like Star Trek, but the network people finally said, "We've chosen another science fiction show that we like better." I'm thinking, they expected to get more young people to view with a show that featured a young brother and sister as part of the action.

Roddenberry pitched Star Trek as "The 'Wagon Train' of space." There would be enough crewmen on the ship and enough new people with every planet visited that the characters and plot possibilities would be endless.

Nimuae - 8-11-2016 at 07:05

It obviously worked, Scholar, Star Trek has hardly ever been off the TV/Cinema since then. Must admit - I do like it - especially Spock !

John_Little - 8-11-2016 at 09:28

Mrs John_Little refuses to watch Star Trek even though I explain to her its Agatha Christie/Gone with the Wind/Coronation Street in space. Alright, there's a bit of zapping and stuff and Grant Mitchel is replaced by a Silicone lifeform that isn't quite "Life as we know it" but the stories are the same.

marymary100 - 8-11-2016 at 20:39

I'm not really a sci fi fan but my mate loves it. He also claims it is really about life as we know it, only better.

LSemmens - 8-11-2016 at 22:20

IF you boil it down, all tv shows are of the same genre. Some conflict, somehow gets resolved, but not after a cliff hanger or two. They even thow in Boy meets Girl on occasion.

marymary100 - 8-11-2016 at 23:12

Campbell's Hero With a Thousand Faces makes the same argument.

John Barnes - 9-11-2016 at 00:02

A ghostly voice saying journey into space echoing away.
They went to the moon and they had no fuel left but a flying saucer rescued them and they found they was back on Earth only 26000 years BC and some advanced aliens who had made mankind transported them back to the moon and had filled their tanks so they could get back to earth
It was a must to listen to it back in the fifties

Nimuae - 9-11-2016 at 05:58

Then series 2 - Journey to the Red Planet - where they landed on Mars and found it already occupied !

John_Little - 9-11-2016 at 08:57

Was there a McDonalds, though?

Nimuae - 9-11-2016 at 13:18

Strangely enough ... No !

Katzy - 9-11-2016 at 22:09

I even remember when POTUS was quite sensible.

marymary100 - 9-11-2016 at 22:55

Old Mrs Trump

Katzy - 10-11-2016 at 10:51

Maybe the establishment, on both side of the pond, will realise that they've been wrong, for so long.

I won't hold my breath.