Karl`s PC Help Forums

Preparing for Winter.
Nimuae - 4-11-2016 at 05:37

Do any of you do anything special to prepare for the Winter?

I stock up with cooking salt to keep the path clear and make sure the snow shovel is at the front of the garage.

Also - I make gallons of soup, stews, cottage pies etc., to keep in the freezer - restock my store cupboard with lentils, split peas, barley etc., - and make sure I have plenty of tinned tomatoes, kidney beans, butter beans, tuna fish and corned beef. If we do have heavy snow I can live from cupboard and freezer for quite a while!

This year I am also going to make lots of pickles, chutneys and relishes to give as gifts as well as to use myself. To that end I am off to do a raid on the farm shop as soon as they open !!

John_Little - 4-11-2016 at 09:23

Scholar peruses robotic snow ploughs.

Many people get confused about the difference between peruse and study. The difference is quite simple. To Study something is to look at or into it closely with a view to understanding and learning whereas peruse the place where paddington bear comes from.

LSemmens - 4-11-2016 at 10:44

I go and cut some firewood.

Katzy - 4-11-2016 at 16:35

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Littleperuse the place where paddington bear comes from.

*K@ giggles.

I think I'll be trying to get an AV program installed for the rest of the winter, at least... :(

Apart from putting some plants into their winter quarters, and dusting off our Yeti track thingies, for our shoes, we kinda bumble along as we go, to be honest.

Work of warning: If you clear the snow from your path, or public paths, and someone should slip over, they can sue you. If you leave it as-is, they can't. One's considered negligence or whatever, whilst the other and act of God.

lips_sealed

JackInCT - 4-11-2016 at 16:41

The US Govt USDA (US Dept of Agriculture), and its Food Safety And Inspection Service, has a 12 page free download called, A Consumer’s Guide To Food Safety-Severe Storms & Hurricanes at this URL:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/f0c8da84-9a44-4285-9893-8caefa9a23b4/Severe_Storms_and_Hurricanes_Guide.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

There are of course loads of similar docs all over the web.

A printout is good for a review when any type of a severe storm is in the forecast, even if you're on the periphery of the expected track.

I made up a label for mine to affix to the front page with all the local agencies names/phone numbers that have a role in a diaseter since you can't count on having internet/cellular access if the power goes off [to do phone number look ups] (to include that the cellular service might be maxed out due to the volume of calls).

A high quality laserjet printout looks real good in case you have to view it via candlelight. Mine is affixed to my frig via magnet as a ready reminder that I have such a resource.

A battery powered carbon monoxide detector is especially important for those that live cheek by jowel in, say, an apt building and some idiot starts up a portable electric generator indoors, although there have been incidents that even when they were too close to a bldg outdoors, the wind blew the exhaust into the bldg. A portable generator should be treated as a potential fire hazard too, and especially when refueling it. Have a gizmo to siphon gas from a vehicle to fuel the generator is a good idea, i. e., it beats sucking on a hose to create a siphon.

marymary100 - 4-11-2016 at 23:22

I live across the road from one shop and a few doors down from another and there are two restaurants in one direction and a couple of cafes in the other so no need to stock up here. What might surprise you is that I live in a small village.

I have, however, been given three hyacinth bulbs and hydroponic vases to grow before Christmas. I hate ice and snow. I dread when that starts but can take the wind and the rain and often don't bother with a coat.

JackInCT - 5-11-2016 at 03:11

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
.... no need to stock up here...

No one can be anything close to being fully prepared for any/all natural disasters.

Back in Nov 2012 the coastal northeastern part of the US, was heavily impacted by "superstorm" Sandy.

I was without power for almost 5 days; large numbers of stores/retail outlets were without power as well. And there were numerous treefalls blocking roadways which, depending on where you lived re a treefall, made traveling about impossible; and the clearing of the trees was very slow work. In addition, there were numerous downed power lines [which had to be deenergized before the tree clearing could proceed] which you couldn't tell, just by looking at them, whether they were still "live", i. e., each of us had to decide whether it was foolish to roll the dice re crossing over them. Within the first day the uncooked food/groceries in most retail outlets spoiled since most of them did not have backup electrical generators. No reliable information was available as to what stores were open except by word of mouth/rumor.

Each of us has to make a very personal decision as to what extent we wish to be prepared for any contingency, to include the most likely reality in that you can't count on the govt for anything; and when they do finally get their act together, the lines for the handouts are incredibly long, i. e., you have to make a personal decision as to how much standing in line your body can endure, never mind hand carrying, i. e., the weight of whatever it is that is being handed out. And of course the queues for the handouts tend to have limits as to so much per customer.

On the positive side, the most incredible stat was that, apparently, there were no fires, I. e., no incidents where the fire trucks had their way blocked by down trees. Ditto re how ambulance crews managed the same obstacles. The local rag of a newspaper reached an all time low IMO as there never ever was an in-depth investigative report type article(s) critiquing how well the city govt managed the crisis.

Nimuae - 5-11-2016 at 07:21

Oh dear, Jack, I was not even thinking about disaster on that scale (maybe I should) just the sheer inconvenience of winter.

My nearest shop is the one in the village a half mile walk away, then there are Sainsbury, Aldi and Asda - all a one mile walk to the East, and an excellent farm shop a one mile walk to the South. That one is my favourate. I do not own or have access to a car - so it makes sense to fill up the freezer/store cupboard just in case the weather becomes too bad for walking.

I don't eat proceessed/commercially prepared foods as you can never be sure what is in them. Anyway, I love to cook so making my own is no problem.

Did a raid on the farm shop yesterday - will spen today and tomorrow up to my ears in spices and vinegar making chutneys, pickles and relishes to give as Christmas gifts! What fun!!

Quaver - 5-11-2016 at 14:44

I plan on going on a diet if disaster strikes;)
Nearest supermarket is 8 min walk.

sceptre - 5-11-2016 at 15:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy

Work of warning: If you clear the snow from your path, or public paths, and someone should slip over, they can sue you. If you leave it as-is, they can't. One's considered negligence or whatever, whilst the other and act of God.

lips_sealed
Bit of a misconception there probable spread about by lazy sods ;)

https://www.gov.uk/clear-snow-road-path-cycleway

LSemmens - 5-11-2016 at 20:36

We lost our power for just short of 24hours just recently. The biggest hassle was getting medication for SWMBO which was due that day. Had to drive over 100km just to find a pharmacy that had the stuff. Our local pharmacy couldn't open because of the power outage.

I think candle and torch sales were very good that day.

JackInCT - 5-11-2016 at 21:14

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I think candle and torch sales were very good that day.

One of the "oddities" of a full blown regional wide power outage is that some retail outlets will open, and have some sort of a hand crank system at the checkout counter cash register; I've never seen in work in person, but apparently, and this is less than fully accurate, one sales person works punching in the numbers, and another one, stationed alongside that register, turns some kind of a small crank that calculates PER ITEM [takes muchlonger to check out this way]. So in theory, a retail outlet with these kind of registers, can open and work; I believe all the perishables type 'stuff' were covered with a tarp. And of course those that had security systems without a battery backup lacked that protection which perhaps, along with getting their staff to show up to begin with, didn't open. In addition, I believe that the fire code for stores calls for a battery, limited lighting set up, if the power fails so folks can exit without finding themselves in total darkness.