Karl`s PC Help Forums

China Opens World'S Highest And Longest Glass (Bottomed) Bridge
JackInCT - 20-8-2016 at 16:01

China Opens World'S Highest And Longest Glass (Bottomed) Bridge

The much-heralded "world's highest and longest" glass-bottomed bridge has opened to visitors in central China.

It connects two mountain cliffs in what are known as the Avatar mountains in Zhangjiajie, Hunan province.

Completed in December, the 430m-long bridge cost $3.4m (£2.6m) to build and stands 300m above ground, state news agency Xinhua reported.

It has been paved with 99 panes of three-layered transparent glass.

And according to officials, the 6m-wide bridge - designed by Israeli architect Haim Dotan - has already set world records for its architecture and construction.

But officials have staged high-profile events to try and reassure the public of the bridge's safety.

Officials sent in sledgehammers and even drove a car, filled with passengers, across the bridge earlier this year.

The BBC's Dan Simmons was invited to take a bash at the bridge (pix attached).

Me here: if you've always wondered just how 'susceptible' you are to acrophobia, it would seem to me this is just the place to see if you are.

There were several very interesting photos embedded in this article (BBC) for anyone who would like a more detailed look- see (and probably YouTube videos as well).

marymary100 - 20-8-2016 at 17:31

I read that earlier. I had a bad experience in a glass elevator on the outside of a hotel in Benidorm so personally a glass bridge wouldn't be appealing.

LSemmens - 21-8-2016 at 04:53

No probs here.

John_Little - 21-8-2016 at 08:07

Wouldn't catch me on it. Not after they've been smashing it with sledge hammers

JackInCT - 21-8-2016 at 13:05

So the Chinese have a "Chinese Valentine's Day"-who knew ???

It's not everyone's idea of a special day, but one couple in China chose to celebrate their wedding by dangling in mid-air from a glass bridge.

The bride and groom married on the Shiniuzhai bridge in Pingjiang, Hunan province on Chinese Valentine's Day on 9 August, China News Service reports.

Despite dangling 180m (590ft) above the ground, they were still able to smile for the camera in their wedding photos.

Glass bridges have become increasingly popular in China recently.

Me Here: There are multiple sites with these glass bridges. AND a good number of YouTube videos at the various sites, to include several of folks experiencing severe anxiety attacks (no one ever accused SOME YouTube uploaders of having good taste, or sensitive to the trails and tribulations of life).

IMO this is NOT a PhotoShopped image, but who knows for sure.

IMO the attached pix simply cries out for puns!!! Such as, 'our love is without restraints'.

marymary100 - 21-8-2016 at 13:17

May married life continue to give them thrills and excitement...

LSemmens - 22-8-2016 at 01:04

And the little one said......roll over......

JackInCT - 22-8-2016 at 13:32

Re the wedding pix: in any relationship there are ties that bind, AND then there are ties that REALLY bind!!!

Another pix from a glass bridge with children (I presume that the glass's reflection is not seen in this pix because of the position of the sun which creates a pretty nice 'illusion' of being suspended in mid-air).

sceptre - 22-8-2016 at 17:12

I was bad enough walking across the glass part on the CN tower so
I reckon this would be a bridge too far .

marymary100 - 22-8-2016 at 18:00

Quote:
Originally posted by sceptre

I see what you did there...;)

JackInCT - 22-8-2016 at 18:18

Quote:

Your comment got me to thinking of whether there are some vision technical "work-around" that could be used to, at least, minimize someone's anxiety (especially the 'rubber legs'/shaking in one's boots' reaction).

The pix of the children would seem to indicate that they are not the least bit perturbed, and I, for no logical reason, presumed that children would be the age group most susceptible to having an anxiety reaction.

As an example, I'm wondering if a blindfold with just a small peep size hole (for each eye) would create a kind of tunnel vision effect, so that one's brain would NOT be overloaded with the ENTIRE visual sensory stimuli of the panorama view of the scene.

Please consider this a 'mind over matter' reply (my own time tested remedy for dealing with irrational and unfounded anxiety)---perhaps someone will create a topic about how individuals on this board deal with extreme anxiety (my personal one is skidding in the snow, becoming frozen (unreactive) with fear, and doing nothing to counteract that which can get you killed, i. e, better to get killed while trying to regain control than doing absolutely nothing; airbags & a seatbelt, IMO, are no panacea).

marymary100 - 22-8-2016 at 19:11

For me it was more of the speed of the great glass elevator rushing up the side of the building I think. It was akin to a very high roller coaster ride which shot upwards, and conversely downwards when riding to/from the restaurant. On the other hand being on top of a revolving restaurant in a city was lovely because it was a leisurely circuit.

John_Little - 22-8-2016 at 20:18

Quote:

Excellent!

LSemmens - 22-8-2016 at 22:51

A lot of fears are learnt, SWMBO has a fear of heights, and has also, to a great extent, conquered it. Her mother was extremely afraid of heights and she attributes her fear to that. She also made a decision early on, not to transfer those fears, and other behaviour attributed to her childhood, on to our Children. None of whom do display those traits.

FYI: She grew up in an abusive home and carried a lot of baggage as a result. I was blessed in that I was able to support her and help her combat those demons from her youth. I did not know her when she was young.