Karl`s PC Help Forums

Why no-one from the future comes to warn us
marymary100 - 3-8-2016 at 13:33

I've often wondered why, if time travel became possible, folk from the future never came back to warn us about wars, ecology etc.

I just read a cynical view online that it is because America elects Trump and we as a species die out before time travel ever became possible.

Think about it...sadly not that far fetched.

John_Little - 3-8-2016 at 14:10

Don't you just hate it when that happens?

LSemmens - 3-8-2016 at 23:49

We are all time travellers. As I type this we've all travelled forward in time. Problem is, we cannot go forward any faster than one second in one second......

I've postulated on this subject in the past, and Mr Einstein has his theory of Relativity which explains why we cannot do it. In layman's terms; we can observe the past (think of astronomy and stars) as we travel towards them, time "speeds" up until we finally arrive "in the present" of course then we would be observing our origin "in the past". At super (i.e. faster than) light speed we could actually observe ourselves leave until we actually break the light barrier, then we would effectively become invisible. As light could not "catch" you to "reflect".

So, in effect, we may observe the past, just never interact with it. We may even be able to "travel" to the future (think; suspended animation), however, it will be a one way trip.

dr john - 4-8-2016 at 22:07

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
We are all time travellers. As I type this we've all travelled forward in time. Problem is, we cannot go forward any faster than one second in one second......

Actually, sometimes I move forward much faster than that. Especially if it's dark. I close my eyes and when I open them it can be eight hours later, almost instantly. Amazing, eh. :o

LSemmens - 4-8-2016 at 23:59

Happens to me all the time! Even when I'm wide awake and having a good time with friends.......;)

JackInCT - 5-8-2016 at 03:01

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
...because America elects Trump....

Trump's first day in office:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4N2dk0cMk

scholar - 6-8-2016 at 00:45

Larry Niven postulated that, if backwards time travel technology that could effect the past became possible, meddling with history would continue until such a time as something was changed which would prevent the development of the technology (e.g. an ancestor of the person who would develop the tech was killed or otherwise prevented from having the key child, or other causation links were disrupted). development.

I recall Redwolf is a Niven fan. Perhaps he can verify my recollection.

I had thought I could do so looking at "Niven's Laws," but I didn't find it. Since RW often speaks ill of me, I'm sure he'd enjoy correcting me if I have made a mistake in attribution.

John Barnes - 6-8-2016 at 22:04

1 No one from the future ? maybe we have wiped our selves out in a nuclear war before time travel has been invented old Trump could throw them about if elected

2 What Scholar is referring to is called the grand father paradox

scholar - 7-8-2016 at 00:28

There have been some candidates suspected to be time travelers.

One of them is the very excellent 20th century science fiction writer H. Beam Piper. Piper wrote a short story about a man who woke up in the 20th century, but in a time line other than his own. History was slightly different, and the consequences of those differences had led to various differences in the present in which the man found himself. He did not know what had caused him to move from one version of reality to another, and had no means of traveling back--he was an ordinary person, not some great scientist studying physics.

Piper once seriously remarked to one of his close friends that the idea for the story came from what had actually happened to himself.

John Barnes - 8-8-2016 at 10:33

I have seen a photo taken in 1995during a Mike Tyson fight by some one using a Iphone and they was not invented until 2002

marymary100 - 8-8-2016 at 10:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p5ILY-1Qk

Snopes

John Barnes - 8-8-2016 at 19:32

It was nothing like those it was ultra modern looking and slim with the camera lens on the back whilst whoever was using it watched the screen at the front ,as I say it could have been a fake photo or some thing entirely different I will try to find it again

found it on you tube -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyXdL28cAeU

marymary100 - 8-8-2016 at 20:19

Did you not see it in the link I posted above your answer?

John Barnes - 8-8-2016 at 22:49

No Mary apologies for my omission. was it an anomaly then, what do you think?

marymary100 - 8-8-2016 at 23:23

When I watched the video in slo mo it looked as though there was a flash triangular shape coming from the dark shape at the top. There also seems to be a bevel across the top section which would not be typical of a smartphone. My best guess is it was a camera with a flash unit inbuilt. Any time traveller would know landscape would give you a better shot in a fight sequence. It was an interesting puzzle though. Have you ever seen the old Oscar ceremony one. I actually think that is more convincing, even though I don't think it is evidence of time travel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiIrpEMbQ2M

John Barnes - 8-8-2016 at 23:48

Will check that out and come back with what I think. Well after that perusal the old girl could have been adjusting her ear piece or scratching her head and the 1938 edition it looked like a 1980's brick size phone. I think any self respecting time traveller would not choose a 1980' style phone, also would a phone used back then be able to pick up anything with there being no infrastructure available, or would electronic signal pass through a time barrier keeping them in touch with their own time ?or possibly there were more than one traveller and they were keeping in touch with one another, but can a cell phone do that without a satellite pick up or exchange.
puzzling isn't it
anyhow bed time for me nite.jmb