Karl`s PC Help Forums

Unkindness among relatives
scholar - 24-1-2016 at 20:39

One of my nieces had a problem with her uncle (one of my brothers-in-law) who was staying in a home for which she was responsible. I think he did not meet financial obligations (either bills, or perhaps house payments or rent he was supposed to pay her).

He has one leg and no advanced education, and he is a convict. He has been getting a disability check and government food assistance and medicaid.

She threw him out, and he is staying with Ruby and myself several nights a week. She threw out all his possessions, too.

I was appalled when I heard him on the telephone, begging her to keep his prosthetic leg safe for him, so he could get it. It is custom-made and expensive.

This has been some weeks ago now, and he doesn't have the leg. Ruby has taken him to get clothing from Christian charity, but he is a tall man, and did not find anything that fit him at the free donation mission.

He may well have failed to keep his word, run up bills, etc., but I consider trashing a man's leg awful behavior.

marymary100 - 24-1-2016 at 20:54

Probably holding it in lieu of payment.

Ruby's relatives are an "interesting" bunch, aren't they.

One wonders how he left her house in the first place without it - did he hop away?

John_Little - 24-1-2016 at 21:07

Scholar. I agree its not a nice thing to do. I also think you and Ruby give a lot for little in return. But you have to accept that its all very odd for some of us here in the UK and probably in the US, too.

Although I admire your commitment to doing charitable deeds, I do sometimes think that you would benefit from thinking things through from a different perspective.

scholar - 24-1-2016 at 21:14

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100

One wonders how he left her house in the first place without it - did he hop away?

It is not for every-day utility. I think it is more for appearance (sometimes you'll see a prosthetic hand that is mostly just in the nature of a mannequin hand, not a grasping hand).

He uses crutches and his good leg. And, he is good at hopping. And strong.

scholar - 24-1-2016 at 21:21

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Scholar. I agree its not a nice thing to do. I also think you and Ruby give a lot for little in return. But you have to accept that its all very odd for some of us here in the UK and probably in the US, too.

Although I admire your commitment to doing charitable deeds, I do sometimes think that you would benefit from thinking things through from a different perspective.

If we think the Lord wants us to do something that overflows from the love and forgiveness He has shown to us--well, it isn't hard to choose.

Yes, I know quite a few criminals, alcoholics, drug addicts, whores, and people with a variety of mental problems (suicide-prone, schizophrenics, people with multiple personalities, and delusional people). But, do you think Jesus would have turned away from any of them? Doesn't it make sense, that I would follow my Lord in this when I have the opportunity?

marymary100 - 24-1-2016 at 21:26

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Quote:

It is not for every-day utility. I think it is more for appearance (sometimes you'll see a prosthetic hand that is mostly just in the nature of a mannequin hand, not a grasping hand).

That seems even odder. What is the point of an "expensive" leg that is not for every day use?

A friend of mine makes prosthetics for a living for the NHS.

scholar - 24-1-2016 at 21:38

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Quote:

That seems even odder. What is the point of an "expensive" leg that is not for every day use?

A friend of mine makes prosthetics for a living for the NHS.

I am more utility-oriented, and I imagine I would want a grabber, or hook, or something like that.

Marvin valued the leg, begging for it, and I don't imagine he'll ever be able to buy a replacement. It seems cruel to me that our niece wouldn't let him pick it up. It's not as if she would get money for it by selling it--it's made for him, the exact length and thickness to match his good leg.

Quaver - 24-1-2016 at 22:36

I don't think she has thrown it away. She's just keeping it until she gets her payment.

Maybe she can't afford to have her uncle stay there anymore.
And she knows her uncle has other places to stay.

LSemmens - 25-1-2016 at 00:30

What about You or Ruby, just asking for it?

scholar - 25-1-2016 at 00:53

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
What about You or Ruby, just asking for it?

I was thinking it was thrown out, but I could be mistaken.

I'll make the suggestion to Ruby, and find out what she thinks, and if she has any information.

John_Little - 25-1-2016 at 10:01

Am I the only one here suppressing a smile?

Quaver - 25-1-2016 at 12:25

Quote:
Am I the only one here suppressing a smile?

waggyfinger

Badgergirl - 27-1-2016 at 09:16

If she doesn't have a "better nature" to appeal to, try at least mentioning that he's in your house and you'd prefer it if he didn't fall over and smash something.

Selfish people need people to appeal to their selfish nature.

John_Little - 27-1-2016 at 10:31

I think he needs a bigger house.

scholar - 29-1-2016 at 15:01

This brother-in-law has left us, at least for now, of his own volition.

John_Little - 29-1-2016 at 15:06

So, he's hopped it.

victor - 29-1-2016 at 19:34

Bum Bum.

sceptre - 29-1-2016 at 22:33

Quote:
So, he's hopped it.
If he has then he hasn't a leg to stand on

John_Little - 30-1-2016 at 12:03

Sorry Scholar. We've been trying to keep it in......................

marymary100 - 30-1-2016 at 22:56

I hop there will be no more of this lads.

LSemmens - 31-1-2016 at 00:52

At lest he hasn't kicked the bucket. Otherwise he'd be on the floor................

scholar - 31-1-2016 at 21:17

Ruby has told me he stole Vicki's phone. One person, with a handicap and very little going for him, stealing from another person who has very little and has cancer.:(

Some young people I know seem to have hardly anything, but will spend hour after hour entertained by a smart phone.

John_Little - 1-2-2016 at 10:17

Its the pier group pressure of the social media thing.

Badgergirl - 1-2-2016 at 14:09

I think it's time to get him out of your house in case he steals from you too.

scholar - 2-2-2016 at 01:27

Quote:
Originally posted by Badgergirl
I think it's time to get him out of your house in case he steals from you too.

As I said above, he left of his own volition.

Young Vicki left about a day earlier. This house of older people wasn't really a fun place for her--but, it was something of a refuge in a troubled time--except for the theft, of which I did not learn until after each of them had left.

Badgergirl - 2-2-2016 at 10:03

Just one little theft...

Quaver - 2-2-2016 at 20:13

You should try to get her phone back from your brother-in-law, or lend her your phone in the meantime. Vicki would need her phone in case she becomes ill.