Karl`s PC Help Forums

Laughing gas deaths
marymary100 - 26-7-2015 at 23:34

A few months ago a colleague of mine's spouse committed suicide by taking nitrous oxide. They knew it was suicide because a note was left apologising. However, I read today that inhaling of nitrous oxide is now a part of some party/legal high behaviours. There have been 6 deaths recorded this year. Guardian

The government has promised to crack down on legal highs but they might find this one more difficult because it has a legitimate use, for example in the food industry.

Redwolf5150 - 26-7-2015 at 23:52

It's been a common substance to abuse forever.
Never seen the movie "Blue Velvet?"
Wouldn't take much to kill me with the stuff.
I'm allergic to it.
Last time I got some for a surgery _ when I was 14 - it STOPPED MY HEART!

shocked_yellow

LSemmens - 27-7-2015 at 02:00

All you were doing, RW was laughing too hard.....

Sorry mate, my weak humour.

Yes, nitrous oxide as a means of "entertainment" has been around for years!
We filled a LOT of balloons for a friends wedding one night at about 3AM we were all laughing at stupid things. Thinking that we were just tired, no one considered the alternative. Next morning as we were cleaning up in preparation for the event, it was discovered that the gas bottle was empty. (It was a size E bottle, so it was a big commercial bottle). Turns out that it had been leaking into the room. Fortunately, we were in Darwin so most houses are open and have plenty of fresh air flow through them or it could have been quite disastrous.

Nimuae - 27-7-2015 at 05:13

I remember it being used as a dental anaesthetic but did not realise it was used for balloons - thought that was helium.

What on earth does the food industry do with it ?

LSemmens - 27-7-2015 at 05:24

These days it usually is Helium.

Nimuae - 27-7-2015 at 08:13

Thanks, Leigh.

Do you know what the food industry does with it? It seems a strange ingredient!

marymary100 - 27-7-2015 at 09:03

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimuae
Thanks, Leigh.

Do you know what the food industry does with it? It seems a strange ingredient!

"The gas is approved for use as a food additive (also known as E942), specifically as an aerosol spray propellant. Its most common uses in this context are in aerosol whipped cream canisters, cooking sprays, and as an inert gas used to displace bacteria-inducing oxygen when filling packages of potato chips and other similar snack foods."

LSemmens - 28-7-2015 at 00:51

Now you know why the kids want to "huff" the stuff.

delanti - 28-7-2015 at 02:20

It is used as an explosive propellant in drag racing cars also.waveysmiley

scholar - 29-7-2015 at 01:36

I remember, when my son was a child, he was given nitrous oxide before some dental work was done.

When it was time to leave the dentist's chair, he said, "I'll take of pack of gas, to take home with me, please."
:jester)