Karl`s PC Help Forums

One of our nephews was shot dead last night
scholar - 19-7-2015 at 18:05

He was shot six times outdoors, and crawled to a friend's doorway to ask her to call for emergency medical help. He died there in the house. (This is what I was told by family members.)

His name was Derek. He has visited Ruby and myself many times. He was a young man, a son of Ruby's surviving sister (Ruby's other sister died from cancer).

Ruby and I were up most of the night. The police weren't allowed to tell us, for sure, that it was he, until the coroner had done his part. We were not allowed on the crime scene.

One of Ruby's daughters lives with her family in that same section of town (not the area where Ruby and I live). Within an hour of the shooting, several young black men were banging on her door, grabbing the door knob, and calling to be let in. Another family member who often hangs around with Derek visits there a lot, and we wonder if they were after him, too. (He wasn't there at the time.)

Daughter left the house to stay elsewhere for the time being.:(

marymary100 - 19-7-2015 at 20:07

Tragic scholar. Sorry for Ruby's loss. I don't know how you cope.

scholar - 19-7-2015 at 20:42

Here is a newspaper online article, the first report I've seen.

But, the person named as the one who died--Zacchaeus J. Davis--is not the name of our nephew.

Everything else fits what we understand happened to Derek--multiple gunshot wounds outside the house, dying inside the house, on that street, at that time.

Redwolf, you have superior knowledge of police procedures. Would members of our family have been told it was Derek, without certainty?

If someone had stolen Derek's wallet and then were shot several times so as to destroy his face, I could imagine such a mistake being made. Stolen ID is not the first thing you expect when you check the wallet a man is carrying.

I fear it is more likely that someone typed in the wrong name in the article.:(

scholar - 19-7-2015 at 20:53

I just learned that Derek was adopted. The brother-in-law who lives with us has suggested to me that Derek could be known by another name because he was not raised by his first parents.
But, the name in the article is completely unfamiliar to Brother-in-law.

Here is another article from TV news channels, with abbreviated information. It lists the same unfamiliar name.

Redwolf5150 - 20-7-2015 at 00:25

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Here is a newspaper online article, the first report I've seen.

But, the person named as the one who died--Zacchaeus J. Davis--is not the name of our nephew.

Everything else fits what we understand happened to Derek--multiple gunshot wounds outside the house, dying inside the house, on that street, at that time.

Redwolf, you have superior knowledge of police procedures. Would members of our family have been told it was Derek, without certainty?

If someone had stolen Derek's wallet and then were shot several times so as to destroy his face, I could imagine such a mistake being made. Stolen ID is not the first thing you expect when you check the wallet a man is carrying.

I fear it is more likely that someone typed in the wrong name in the article.:(

Coroner could still make a positive I.D. based on fingerprints, if they are in the system.

delanti - 20-7-2015 at 01:25

If he is a thug, Derek could be his street name.waveysmiley

Nimuae - 20-7-2015 at 05:41

What a dreadful thing to happen, Scholar. Over here someone would have had to positively identify the body before the name was released to the press.

marymary100 - 20-7-2015 at 23:40

Adopted according to this. Hence the alias.

Quote:

Posted Jul. 19, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Peoria — Shequita Alexander said she and her children were among the last people to see Zacchaeus J. Davis alive. He stumbled into their home just minutes after he was shot.
Peoria County Coroner Johnna Ingersoll said Davis, 26, died of multiple gunshot wounds at 1:08 a.m. Sunday at 1919 N. Indiana Ave. after being shot near the home. Police were called at 11:26 p.m. Saturday.
Alexander knew Davis by his birth name, Derrick Christopher Hunter. He was adopted when he was in grade school and took the name of Zacchaeus Davis, or Zack for short. He was a cousin to Alexander’s children, and she said she had known him for years.
“He was always to himself. I’ll just miss him being around, period. He’s a very loving and caring type of person,” she said Sunday afternoon. She said Davis had lived with her periodically and worked as a freelance construction worker.
Davis, of 1065 S. Hickory St., stopped by Alexander’s home at 1919 N. Indiana Ave. but had left to talk to someone in a car down the street. After a brief conversation, Alexander said, her children saw someone open fire from inside the car, striking Davis multiple times.
“When I opened the door all I seen was blood just pouring down and he fell into my house,” Alexander said.
She said Davis was responsive and even talking as police quickly showed up, alerted by a ShotSpotter and 911 call. He remained responsive as emergency personnel treated him in her home, where he died.
Alexander said she doesn’t know why Davis was not transported to a hospital. That information was not available from authorities Sunday night.
Police had no information Sunday night about suspects in the shooting.
Alexander remembered Davis as a peaceful and jovial person and has no idea why anyone would want to hurt him.
Cierra Davis, his 27-year-old sister, said he was goofy and had a big heart. Cierra Davis and her brother were adopted by Dorothy Davis when they were 4 and 5-years-old.
Cierra Davis said he was a nonviolent person, so it could have been hanging around with the wrong crowd that led to Saturday’s tragedy.
“He was just sweet, and he loved my daughter,” she said. “He’d get a new job and go around to the family and pass out money because he knew they needed it.”
Dorothy Davis said she could not imagine what would compel someone to kill her son.
“He was always a joy to be around. He was a kid that loved family and outings and loved playing sports,” she said, sitting in the home where he grew up.

scholar - 21-7-2015 at 00:46

Thank you, Marymary.

I have only known him for a few years.

Your post gave me more information, coherently, than I have heard since this happened. Members of his close family are rather shaken.

scholar - 21-7-2015 at 00:52

Quote:
Originally posted by delanti
If he is a thug, Derek could be his street name.waveysmiley

He's not that kind of fellow.

And, I admit, we do have some thuggish people among our relatives.

LSemmens - 21-7-2015 at 01:20

That, at least, is a fitting obituary. Couple of things about the article did surprise me, though "alerted by a ShotSpotter" and "Davis was not transported to a hospital". Sounds like a wonderful community if they actually have need to detect gunfire, and that the victim was not automatically taken to the nearest hospital.

John Barnes - 21-7-2015 at 05:36

Scholars life experiences read like a James Cagney or George Raft film Top of the world Leigh top of the world

Quaver - 21-7-2015 at 10:54

Your life is full of dramashocked_yellow
So so sorry for Ruby's family:(

waffler - 21-7-2015 at 19:08

Sorry to hear this Scholar . Sounds like you need to move down south .

the bear - 21-7-2015 at 22:10

Quote:
Originally posted by waffler
Sorry to hear this Scholar . Sounds like you need to move down south .

Don't just move, grab Ruby's hand and run like hell smokin:

Regards the Bear waveysmiley

scholar - 22-7-2015 at 01:31

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
That, at least, is a fitting obituary. Couple of things about the article did surprise me, though "alerted by a ShotSpotter" and "Davis was not transported to a hospital". Sounds like a wonderful community if they actually have need to detect gunfire, and that the victim was not automatically taken to the nearest hospital.

Derek had six bullets shot into him.

If several essential organs were shot, wounds into and then out of them--it may have been obvious there was no way to put him back together.:(

But, I don't really know what the details were.:(:(

marymary100 - 22-7-2015 at 10:10

I thought the newspaper article was informative and kind.

I suspect the loss will be felt most keenly by the family who actually raised him.

Is there any chance scholar that you could find work in another State and move away from all the troubles that seem to plague you now you're married and living where you are? Maybe stay with the same company and move to where Waffler seems to live the good life? I think that if you want to enjoy middle age/old age you need to get away. There is nothing worth staying for as far as your posts imply.

the bear - 22-7-2015 at 12:57

Grey Hound is your friend :D

Regards, the Bear

waveysmiley

scholar - 26-7-2015 at 01:59

We had Derek's funeral today.

One of my close relatives told me what he understands to be the background situation of the murder.

LSemmens - 26-7-2015 at 05:35

I trust that the day was one of celebration of his life, and not one of "if only". Of course it will be a sad day, but it need not be miserable, IYKWIM.

Redwolf5150 - 26-7-2015 at 22:22

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100

Is there any chance scholar that you could find work in another State and move away from all the troubles that seem to plague you now you're married and living where you are? Maybe stay with the same company and move to where Waffler seems to live the good life? I think that if you want to enjoy middle age/old age you need to get away. There is nothing worth staying for as far as your posts imply.

Don't move to Wisconsin, as the "Ranger" in Charge is running all the jobs out of this state!

[badimg]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/redwolf5150/Walker%20Danger_zps4tdby00p.jpg[/bad img]