Karl`s PC Help Forums

rep points...karma...etc
marymary100 - 27-10-2010 at 18:42

haha - if only we had rep points...

giron - 27-10-2010 at 18:58

What red ones ? shocked_yellow

BTW - could I just point out that off topic comments are most welcome in this thread, although we might have to draw the line at comments about Obama, unless it's a pottery version.

the bear - 27-10-2010 at 20:02

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
haha - if only we had rep points...

What are rep points???

Regards the Bear

giron - 27-10-2010 at 20:16

Believe me, you don't want to know ! :D

marymary100 - 27-10-2010 at 20:30

Usually positive points if people like your post and they click on the button. Rep points vary from site to site and are "just a bit of fun". Noone has to give rep points and you can turn off the ability to receive them in some forums that have them if you really disagree with them.

giron - 27-10-2010 at 20:41

In reality, it doesn't usually work like that.

Usually, a group of friends will give each other positive rep points for posting utter drivel and at the same time give negative rep point to anyone they don't like, regardless of the quality of posts.

The system usually allows the giver of rep points to include a message to the recipient and this is often used to convey personal insults and libellous comments.

All harmless fun, of course.

marymary100 - 27-10-2010 at 20:45

Depends on whether you are a decent person or not, of course. I've never negative repped anyone or given a negative comment to another poster except on an open forum. I don't need to hide my true thoughts because they are already out there. waveysmiley

Daz - 27-10-2010 at 20:46

Quote:
Depends on whether you are a decent person or not, of course. I've never negative repped anyone or given a negative comment to another poster except on an open forum. I don't need to hide my true thoughts because they are already out there. waveysmiley

Repped.

;)

giron - 27-10-2010 at 20:55

Quote:
Depends on whether you are a decent person or not, of course.

Precisely, but you must bear in mind that there are some two faced people on certain sites and they do use the rep points system to engage in a vendetta against people they don't like.

Fair enough, it's simple to ignore such people and their two faced behaviour, but you need to realise that it's the rep points system that enables them to do it.

There are very few site where the points system accurately reflects the quality of the posts.

marymary100 - 27-10-2010 at 21:00

Which is why noone takes it seriously. ;)

Daz - 27-10-2010 at 21:04

Quote:
Which is why noone takes it seriously. ;)

It seems not though... lips_sealed

;)

Personally I just laugh when folk get all narked about such systems. It's the internet FGS, it's not exactly life or death stuff, and most sites have the option of turning it off if you're sensitive soul. I can't see it as a problem, but that's just me.

In relation to KF, I think it's even less of an issue given the membership, but again, what do I know. :huh)

giron - 27-10-2010 at 21:05

So what's the point in having it ?

As far as I'm concerned it only devalues a site and I know I'm not alone in thinking that.

waffler - 27-10-2010 at 23:31

Never come across a site that uses them , and seeing as there are only a few regular posters on here it wouldn't be worthwhile using them :)

marymary100 - 27-10-2010 at 23:36

I think it's the fact that we want to increase the membership that has called it into question as a possibility...

LSemmens - 28-10-2010 at 08:28

The phantom CUT changer can give you as many rep-points as you like, or so I've heard.

giron - 28-10-2010 at 08:35

A good point, the Phantom is all powerful, which is nice.

the bear - 28-10-2010 at 08:42

Quote:
Originally posted by giron
So what's the point in having it ?

As far as I'm concerned it only devalues a site and I know I'm not alone in thinking that.

The system could be abused an become vexatious and upseting to other posters, as Giron has stated it would devalue the site.

Regards the Bear

John Barnes - 28-10-2010 at 22:16

I use a site where rep points are dished out and it is certainly not a nice place to visit it is both abusive and vindictive. I only go there to read the arguments and there are plenty of them, if this site was the same I would read only and not contribute anything so I am with Giron and bear on this one/ jmb

the bear - 28-10-2010 at 23:58

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes
I use a site where rep points are dished out and it is certainly not a nice place to visit it is both abusive and vindictive. I only go there to read the arguments and there are plenty of them, if this site was the same I would read only and not contribute anything so I am with Giron and bear on this one/ jmb

If KF is to be overhauled perhaps we can all be involved and as such prevent it becoming a profanity circus :) like the one John has just mentioned.

Regards the Bear

waffler - 29-10-2010 at 00:32

Quote:
Originally posted by the bear
Quote:

If KF is to be overhauled perhaps we can all be involved and as such prevent it becoming a profanity circus :) like the one John has just mentioned.

Regards the Bear

Seems like the old adage comes in here , don't fix what aint broken .

delanti - 29-10-2010 at 01:03

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
The phantom CUT changer can give you as many rep-points as you like, or so I've heard.

Honest, just ask me.lips_sealed

John Barnes - 29-10-2010 at 17:09

Quote:
Quote:

Regards the Bear

can you guess the name of the site Bear?

the bear - 29-10-2010 at 18:01

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Regards the Bear

John I haven't got a clue ;)

Best regards the Bear waveysmiley

giron - 29-10-2010 at 18:32

Quote:

It sounds like BC to me, but don't quote me on that, I'm no expert.

the bear - 29-10-2010 at 18:43

Quote:
Quote:

It sounds like BC to me, but don't quote me on that, I'm no expert.

You mean Birkenhead Corporation shocked_yellow

Regards the Bear

John Barnes - 29-10-2010 at 19:16

exactly. Mr Bear jmb

Daz - 29-10-2010 at 20:24

Right, so we're setting the standards of KF to that of Bowlands mob?

LOFL. (Edit: LS)

giron - 29-10-2010 at 20:27

Didn't charles defect to there ? confused2

marymary100 - 29-10-2010 at 20:35

It's not defection if you are barred from here. ;)

giron - 29-10-2010 at 20:40

Well, he was a Man U supporter, so he deserves to be barred. :)

John Barnes - 30-10-2010 at 00:16

who said it was Bowland forums ? and no Charles did not go there

waffler - 30-10-2010 at 00:36

Quote:
Well, he was a Man U supporter, so he deserves to be barred. :)

Coulda been worse coulda been a Liverpool supporter :D