Karl`s PC Help Forums

Aussies taking over
delanti - 23-10-2010 at 01:24

For a number of years we have had the Gecko with the Aussie accent pitching car insurance. Lately however I have noticed everyone seems to be hiring spokespersons with that endearing Crocodile Dundee brogue.

What gives are there no jobs in advertising for the Roo Wranglers down under? Even one of our local car dealers has hired Dundee's cousin to pitch for them. I may just have to quit picketing against the Mexicans and start against the influx of those from down under.waveysmiley

waffler - 23-10-2010 at 01:39

Quote:
Originally posted by delanti
For a number of years we have had the Gecko with the Aussie accent pitching car insurance.

Thats strange it sounds like an English accent to me :)

waffler - 23-10-2010 at 01:41

Actually it is a Cockney accent ( Londoner )

the bear - 23-10-2010 at 01:46

Quote:
Originally posted by waffler
Actually it is a Cockney accent ( Londoner )

Be very careful who you picket against Delanti you'll get yourself labeled a racist like me smokin:

Regards the Bear

delanti - 23-10-2010 at 02:14

Quote:
Quote:
For a number of years we have had the Gecko with the Aussie accent pitching car insurance.

Do they have Geckos in England?confused2

waffler - 23-10-2010 at 02:49

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not that I know of but I have them on my front porch :D

Redwolf5150 - 23-10-2010 at 05:09

You can send Kylie Minogue to my place ANYTIME.

:D

Redwolf5150 - 23-10-2010 at 05:10

Olivia Newton-John, too, for that matter.

penguiny

the bear - 23-10-2010 at 05:45

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Olivia Newton-John, too, for that matter.

penguiny

If I come over will you share :D

Regards the Bear

marymary100 - 23-10-2010 at 08:10

I was talking to Prince Charles's representative on Monday. He was an American. waveysmiley

giron - 23-10-2010 at 08:17

Shame on you all for those racist remarks. waggyfinger

Non racist Daily Mail reader - Coventry :angel

marymary100 - 23-10-2010 at 08:36

[pssst]Race isn't about nationality. [/pssst]

giron - 23-10-2010 at 09:25

Of course it is, you ruddy jock ! ;)

marymary100 - 23-10-2010 at 09:33

That people should not be aggressive is beyond dispute, but, in itself, is saying 'Jock' racist, aggressive or abusive? It is possible to be both abusive and racist but in this case I'd say it was abusive or aggressive without being racist.

Nimuae - 23-10-2010 at 09:37

I know we are rapidly approaching All Hallows but why a vomiting pumpkin, MM ?

marymary100 - 23-10-2010 at 09:39

It appealed to my sense of humour. It will only be here until Hallowe'en.

giron - 23-10-2010 at 09:44

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
That people should not be aggressive is beyond dispute, but, in itself, is saying 'Jock' racist, aggressive or abusive? It is possible to be both abusive and racist but in this case I'd say it was abusive or aggressive without being racist.

So, ' Jock ' isn't racist but 'Paki ' is ?

There's something wrong there, surely ?

marymary100 - 23-10-2010 at 09:53

It's certainly pejorative, offensive and not for KF. As to racist, I believe that the courts in England have classed it as racially aggravated and that those who use it can be charged. So, don't.

giron - 23-10-2010 at 10:12

The courts are biased in favour of coloured people, which in itself is racist.

It appears to be acceptable to refer to the Irish as ' Paddys ' or British people as ' Limeys ' , yet it is deemed illegal to use similar slang terms for coloured people.

In fact, it's probably illegal to refer to non whites as ' Coloured '.

delanti - 23-10-2010 at 14:42

Quote:

It's going to take me a while to decipher this.confused2

marymary100 - 23-10-2010 at 14:55

Quote:
Quote:

Get back to us when you do. :)

giron - 23-10-2010 at 15:29

Quote:
Quote:

What a disgraceful racist remark !
You're taking the pee out of Matilda just because she's a Jock, aren't you ? ;)

Daz - 23-10-2010 at 16:22

Quote:

Yep, my nephew has two of them. waveysmiley

Daz - 23-10-2010 at 16:23

Quote:
Originally posted by the bear
Be very careful who you picket against Delanti you'll get yourself labeled a racist like me smokin:

Regards the Bear

Who labelled you racist Bear?

delanti - 23-10-2010 at 19:35

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Get back to us when you do. :)

I would have to say that being called a Jock would be anything but abusive, aggressive or racist.

Jock

giron - 23-10-2010 at 19:46

Quote:

I would have to say that being called a Jock would be anything but abusive, aggressive or racist.

Yes, but that was before anti racist laws were introduced.

Even using the term ' blackboards ' is frowned upon now.

marymary100 - 23-10-2010 at 20:00

Scot is the correct term. I find that those who use the term Jock over here seldom use it as a term of endearment. Bear served in the forces so he may feel differently but Scottish or Scot suits those of us who are from Scotland and non military.

From elsewhere on Wiki

Quote:
Jock, jocky, jockie
(UK) A Scottish person, dialect form of personal name John. Occasionally used by the English as an insult. but also in respectful reference to elite Scottish, particularly Highland troops, e.g. the 9th (Scottish) Division. Same vein as the English insult for the French, as Frogs.

giron - 23-10-2010 at 20:05

I disgraceful and exceedingly racist reference to the Kermits, if ever I saw one ! waggyfinger

scholar - 23-10-2010 at 22:08

Quote:
Quote:

What qualifies you to think you would know an English accent?

:jester)

scholar - 23-10-2010 at 22:15

In the US, a jock is a person whose orientation in life is toward the sports he plays, usually for his school. It may be used as an insult, if the context indicates the person sacrifices study and intellectual pursuits for the sake of sports.

the bear - 24-10-2010 at 10:12

Quote:
Scot is the correct term. I find that those who use the term Jock over here seldom use it as a term of endearment. Bear served in the forces so he may feel differently but Scottish or Scot suits those of us who are from Scotland and non military.

When wearing a kilt people used to refer to you as Jock ( a generic form of address) as in what do think Jock if they didn't know your name. Fortunately or unfortunately as soon as I spoke I was pinned with a "Scouse" tag. Should I deem that to be a racist comment???;)

Regards the Bear

scholar - 24-10-2010 at 11:33

Scholar: So, Bear, you have an accent?

Bear: No, everybody else does!

marymary100 - 24-10-2010 at 11:45

Quote:
Quote:

When wearing a kilt people used to refer to you as Jock ( a generic form of address) as in what do think Jock if they didn't know your name. Fortunately or unfortunately as soon as I spoke I was pinned with a "Scouse" tag. Should I deem that to be a racist comment???;)

Regards the Bear
It's not a flattering term, is it? They didn't call you that as an accolade to the greatness of the area you came from, or am I wrong?

the bear - 24-10-2010 at 11:48

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Scholar: So, Bear, you have an accent?

Bear: No, everybody else does!

Seriously, I dont consider myself to have an accent ( have travelled, worked and lived in so many places with my job )my "twang" is multi faceted as to be unidentifiable. This is further confounded by the fact that I have quite a deep voice which I'm told is soft tone, this also hides my origins. In fact I was born and brought up on the Wirral which is totally different to being Scouse. My first job however was on the Liverpool docklands but even so the workforce was "multi national.

Regards the Bear

giron - 24-10-2010 at 12:59

Quote:

Seriously, I dont consider myself to have an accent

Regards the Bear

You certainly don't seem to have an accent when you post here. :)

LSemmens - 24-10-2010 at 13:39

Yeah, but those yankees do, imagine spelling labour without the u, or..... I could go on.

giron - 24-10-2010 at 14:02

So that's how they manage to post so quickly, they're missing some of the letters out of their words.

sceptre - 24-10-2010 at 17:46

It could be confusing too ...Took a second to dawn on me in another topic about scholar mentioning gas powered motorcycles.

Shouldn't be allowed :D

giron - 24-10-2010 at 17:52

Not only that, do you what they call bottoms?

Naturally, I can't say here, otherwise I'd, most likely, end up getting a severe tawsing and a spell in the cold showers ! shocked_yellow

scholar - 24-10-2010 at 17:58

Quote:
Originally posted by giron
Not only that, do you what they call bottoms?
Yanks get unfavorable mention for leaving out a u here and there. But I think Giron leaves out entire words.:D

sceptre - 24-10-2010 at 17:58

I'm well aware of what they call them ...try shouting after mrs G that she'd forgotten her bum bag in the american style and you'd be arrested .

giron - 24-10-2010 at 18:01

Yes, you'd definitely have the bobbies after you if you did that.

the bear - 26-10-2010 at 07:40

Quote:
Originally posted by sceptre

I'm well aware of what they call them ...try shouting after mrs G that she'd forgotten her bum bag in the american style and you'd be arrested .

You could always put "Durex" paint on her shopping list :P

Regards the Bear