Karl`s PC Help Forums

If your accelerator jams
Mary2 - 5-2-2010 at 13:02

1. Use the footbrake, not the handbrake
2. Depress the clutch
3. Look for a route to the side of the road, and steer there carefully
4. Only switch the engine off if the clutch cannot be used instead
5. If footbrake has failed, you can use very gentle handbrake

I know those of you with new and/or Toyota cars have been a bit worried.
driv_ing

giron - 5-2-2010 at 13:32

Quote:
Originally posted by Mary2

I know those of you with new and/or Toyota cars have been a bit worried.
driv_ing

It's worth pointing out to all the worried Toyota owners that the fault is relatively rare and there is no need to panic.

Anyone with basic driving skills should be able to deal with the situation, in the extremely unlikely event that it occurs.

Faolan - 5-2-2010 at 17:15

Anybody remember the old adverts... The car in front ;)

victor - 5-2-2010 at 17:37

Remember switching the ignition off may lock your steering.

marymary100 - 5-2-2010 at 17:43

Last resort stuff obviously.

Daz - 5-2-2010 at 18:35

Quote:
Originally posted by Faolan

I remember this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8nAMvjvnRk

Can't think why...?! :D

Daz - 5-2-2010 at 18:39

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Last resort stuff obviously.

Very much so.

Also, many Yank cars are automatics so no clutch is likely.

Many newer cars also don't have handbrakes anymore, not in the traditional sense anyway. They are "electric" now, and operate by the flick of a switch.

giron - 5-2-2010 at 18:57

Quote:
Originally posted by victor

Only if your ignition lock is faulty.

I'm confident that Toyota ignition locks are build to a high standard, so this shouldn't be a problem.

scholar - 6-2-2010 at 03:15

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Also, many Yank cars are automatics so no clutch is likely.
So, one moves the selection lever to Neutral.

Our Secretary of Transportation over-reacted by telling all Toyota owners (of the problem cars) to stop driving their cars immediately.

Of course, that would mean that people could not go to work, could not go to the doctor, could not get groceries, and could not even get the car fixed unless it were towed.

LSemmens - 6-2-2010 at 11:53

I'm pleased that Scholar noted that those with automatics could place their cars in neutral in lieu of using the clutch.

You can turn the ignition off without placing the steering lock on, but be careful that that is all you do!

giron - 6-2-2010 at 13:30

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar

Our Secretary of Transportation over-reacted by telling all Toyota owners (of the problem cars) to stop driving their cars immediately.

That bloke is none too bright, by the looks of things, how the devil did he get the job in the first place? confused2

scholar - 6-2-2010 at 13:46

Quote:
Originally posted by giron
Quote:

That bloke is none too bright, by the looks of things, how the devil did he get the job in the first place? confused2
The President said in his election campaign that he wanted a government in which Democrats and Republicans would work together. The Secretary of Transportation is a Republican he chose for his Cabinet.

giron - 6-2-2010 at 14:34

Quote:
The President said in his election campaign that he wanted a government in which Democrats and Republicans would work together. The Secretary of Transportation is a Republican he chose for his Cabinet.

So, it's all Obamas fault, no surprise there.

Why didn't you just come straight out with it and say that Obama was to blame?

Fair enough, there's a risk that this thread would have ended up in the USA Politics and healthcare Forum, but that's a small price to pay for setting the record straight and putting the blame fairly and squarely on Obamas head.

Topcat - 6-2-2010 at 16:03

Quote:

Only if you remove the key from the ignition

Topcat

scholar - 6-2-2010 at 16:54

Quote:
Quote:

So, it's all Obamas fault, no surprise there.

Why didn't you just come straight out with it and say that Obama was to blame?

Fair enough, there's a risk that this thread would have ended up in the USA Politics and healthcare Forum, but that's a small price to pay for setting the record straight and putting the blame fairly and squarely on Obamas head.
Actually, Secretary Lahood changed his remarks later the same day. I think the President (or his advisors) prevailed upon Mr. Lahood to take a less extreme position.

I only mentioned President Obama because you asked me, directly, how he got the job. It's an example of a campaign promise that he kept.

giron - 6-2-2010 at 17:37

Quote:

I only mentioned President Obama because you asked me, directly, how he got the job. It's an example of a campaign promise that he kept.

There's nothing wrong in mentioning Obama, particularly as he, allegedly, gave Lahood a right old rollocking for making such a foolish remark.

Well done Obama, that's what I say.

victor - 6-2-2010 at 20:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Topcat
Quote:

Only if you remove the key from the ignition

Topcat

I don't know about yours but if you switch the ignition off in mine and leave the key in then turn the steering it will lock.

giron - 6-2-2010 at 20:33

Quote:

I don't know about yours but if you switch the ignition off in mine and leave the key in then turn the steering it will lock.

What car have you got?

It's certainly unusual to have that sort of set up.

scholar - 6-2-2010 at 20:49

Quote:
Quote:

What car have you got?

It's certainly unusual to have that sort of set up.
I have owned cars with a steering column ignition and lock, which behaved as Victor describes. They were American cars.

I now own a Geo Prizm, which was made by Toyota for General Motors. The ignition key does not go into a lock on the steering column; the keyed ignition switch is on the dash. I believe mine is 1991, and so is not part of the present problem. I don't know if the newer Toyotas have ignition switches on the steering column.

victor - 6-2-2010 at 20:49

Got to admit defeat on that one I just went out and tried it switch off but don't remove the key OK. driv_ing

giron - 6-2-2010 at 20:56

Quote:
I have owned cars with a steering column ignition and lock, which behaved as Victor describes. They were American cars.

Yes, that explains it, American cars are rubbish, that's why most Yanks drive Japanese or British cars. waveysmiley

giron - 6-2-2010 at 21:02

Quote:
Got to admit defeat on that one I just went out and tried it switch off but don't remove the key OK. driv_ing

Whilst you were out there did you remember to check what make/model of car you've got?

I'm a bit concerned that you might have accidentally purchased a Citroen, in which case your door locks will probably fail. :o

scholar - 6-2-2010 at 21:32

The problem with French cars is, when there is a problem, they surrender so quickly!

giron - 6-2-2010 at 21:35

Particularly when they encounter a German car. lips_sealed

scholar - 6-2-2010 at 21:59

On a serious note, I think each Toyota owner would do well, under safe conditions, to try turning off the ignition to see if it works well or not--in advance of any emergency.

An audio recording of an emergency call for help by someone in a Toyota has been played, over and over, on a radio program. The 911 call handler suggested turning the car off, but said nothing about switching to neutral. The recording ends when the call is lost. The four people in the car all died.:(

giron - 6-2-2010 at 22:12

Is this the incident you are referring to?

scholar - 6-2-2010 at 23:15

Quote:
Is this the incident you are referring to?
I bekeve so.

I disapprove of the radio host playing it so many times.:(

giron - 6-2-2010 at 23:24

They appear to be suggesting that the accident might have been caused by an incompatible driver's floor mat interfering with the accelerator pedal and causing it to become stuck

Link.

victor - 6-2-2010 at 23:34

Quote:
Quote:

Whilst you were out there did you remember to check what make/model of car you've got?

I'm a bit concerned that you might have accidentally purchased a Citroen, in which case your door locks will probably fail. :o

VW Golf TDI.

giron - 6-2-2010 at 23:40

That's OK then, the Germans are good at making cars, they're not so good at winning wars though. lips_sealed

scholar - 6-2-2010 at 23:40

Quote:
They appear to be suggesting that the accident might have been caused by an incompatible driver's floor mat interfering with the accelerator pedal and causing it to become stuck

Link.

It is my understanding that the accelerators stick on their own, and that people in the Toyota company have known it--blaming the floor mats (even though the accelerators stick when the floor mats are removed) has been a shameful act on the part of the officials.

Mr. Toyota has publicly apologized twice.

scholar - 6-2-2010 at 23:48

O Victor, if I see a large blinking turtle driving around in a VW Golf TDI, I'll know it is you. driv_ingwaveysmiley

giron - 7-2-2010 at 00:01

This one relates to the Toyota problem.

This one relates to methods of stopping a vehicle if the accelerator sticks.

waffler - 7-2-2010 at 02:28

Quote:

Could lead to a new advert ....The car in your Trunk or Boot depending on where you live smokin:

delanti - 7-2-2010 at 03:11

I can't believe that a Highway Patrolman would not know enough to put an accelerating car in neutral and turn off the key. I thought they gave them all kinds of driver training. Must have left the self preservation part out.confused2

LSemmens - 7-2-2010 at 10:26

Actually, turning the ignition off and leaving it in gear will result in a quicker, and more controlled stop as you have engine braking, even in automatics, contributing to the slowing of the vehicles. Remember, too, once the ignition is off, all power assist for steering and brakes is history, too!
In OZ, regardless of the make, any car produced from around 1980 onwards had the steering lock incorporated into the ignition switch on the steering column. You can turn the ignition off, but must turn it another quarter turn to engage the lock and remove the key.

giron - 7-2-2010 at 13:56

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Actually, turning the ignition off and leaving it in gear will result in a quicker, and more controlled stop as you have engine braking, even in automatics, contributing to the slowing of the vehicles.

Good point and with the engine still turning you should still have the power assisted brakes and the power stearing pump working, assuming that they are driven by the engine.

LSemmens - 8-2-2010 at 12:53

The power assist for the brakes relies upon a vacuum, I'm not certain if the right conditions would exist without the controlled explosions of combustion. Theoretically, it should work, but I'd not like to bet my life on it. The same would also be true of the power steering, but to a lesser degree as that relies upon the rotation of the engine.

I should also have mentioned placing the car into a lower gear to facilitate braking, too.

Dreamweaver - 9-2-2010 at 11:29

Seems to be a bigger problem than first admitted.