Karl`s PC Help Forums

Adoption
marymary100 - 19-11-2009 at 18:07

Could you adopt lots of children and dedicate your life to them?

I've just been watching a single dad on Oprah and he has adopted 8 children to join his one biological child. His wife died when the only son was a toddler so he expanded the family through adoption. He's a lawyer so can afford the house/food etc which helps but he does all the cooking, cleaning etc himself.

It would be too much for me but then I get my fill of children all day long.

delanti - 19-11-2009 at 18:37

When I got divorced, I became a single parent with 3 children and a blue collar job. It is sometimes not the money or the motivation but the time that becomes the constraint.

I had one child in High School, one in Middle School and one in elementary school. Between parent conferences, school dances, school programs, Doctor and dentist appointments, skating parties, birthday parties..............I am sure you get it.

When you are the bread winner, cook, maid and filling the role of both parents you appreciate the hour or so you have between when they go to bed and you will have to. At the time I didn't think about it because it was my decision and the job needed to be done. Looking back however I know I would have not been able to do an adequate job with 6 or 8 children. While group time with all of them such as meals or movie time are important, each one needs some personal time also.waveysmiley

Quaver - 19-11-2009 at 21:26

I don't like kids (other people's kids) to begin with so no. Perhaps one or two if adopted as a baby or pre-teen;)

the bear - 19-11-2009 at 21:46

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
I don't like kids (other people's kids) to begin with so no. Perhaps one or two if adopted as a baby or pre-teen;)

I love children but couldnt eat a whole one! smokin:

Regards the Bear

Swish Checkley - 19-11-2009 at 22:25

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Could you adopt lots of children and dedicate your life to them?

Absolutely not. I don't want children of my own.
But if I did want children and was unable to conceive I'd certainly consider adoption and I admire anyone who does it.

waffler - 20-11-2009 at 00:58

Adoption is a wonderful thing . I was adopted a t a very early age as my parents seperated
and me and my brother and sisters where put into council homes , from where we were all split up , I was the youngest about 2 years old . It wasn't until I was fifteen that I found my natural mum and started to find my brother and sisters .

Badgergirl - 20-11-2009 at 01:00

I could adopt if I can't have children.

It would be my first option, and one I have considered for a number of years already.

scholar - 20-11-2009 at 04:12

I love children, and would enjoy having a large family (including adopted children), but I would want to have a wife (mother to them) as well.

I also would be open to being a foster parent (distinguished from adoption insofar as the children may be temporary. For example, if parent or parents go to prison, children are given to the care of foster parents, and money is provided for their care).

John_Little - 20-11-2009 at 08:50

I feel quite guilty saying no. But I don't think I could cope. Although I might change my mind.

Quaver - 20-11-2009 at 10:09

Quote:
Originally posted by waffler
Adoption is a wonderful thing .

I'd love a 2 year old:) But not 8 of them:D

Mary2 - 20-11-2009 at 11:06

The children in the family in question ranged from a pre-schooler to a 17 year old. They seemed really close and worked as a team - some smaller families could have learned a thing or two from them but it looked exhausting.

LSemmens - 20-11-2009 at 14:56

As SWMBO has been ill for most of my tribe's life, I understand the problems of raising children as a single parent! I used to love shopping at 1 o'clock in the morning. Had she been well, we may have fostered and possibly adopted, but that is not an option now.