Karl`s PC Help Forums

11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.
marymary100 - 8-11-2009 at 12:16

Remembrance Sunday wreath laying and the plaintive piper playing the lament is now over. Our village does this every year and, no doubt, it was repeated throughout the country.

We paused and remembered the fallen of times past and those who continue to lay down their lives for their country in wars not of their making.

My school does not take part in the silence on the 11th although we do raise money by selling poppies and we raise awareness through the shoebox campaign most years.

Does your area still participate in silent reflection?

the bear - 9-11-2009 at 03:13

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Remembrance Sunday wreath laying and the plaintive piper playing the lament is now over. Our village does this every year and, no doubt, it was repeated throughout the country.

We paused and remembered the fallen of times past and those who continue to lay down their lives for their country in wars not of their making.

My school does not take part in the silence on the 11th although we do raise money by selling poppies and we raise awareness through the shoebox campaign most years.

Does your area still participate in silent reflection?

Apart from the Air cadets selling poppies at Asda yesterday I havnt seen anything relates 2009 to the killing fields of Flanders, in fact I hav'nt seen many people wearing poppies this year.

On a personal note I always reflect on how sad and upset my father got on the morning of the 11th.

Regards the Bear

marymary100 - 9-11-2009 at 07:02

I was in Glasgow on Saturday Bear and the poppies were very visible, likewise yesterday at our memorial service.

Swish Checkley - 9-11-2009 at 08:35

We were in the supermarket and a two minute silence was announced on the supermarket radio.

Dreamweaver - 9-11-2009 at 09:44

I was in the Village, there was a service of remembrance, poppy wreaths were very visible around the local churches and almost everyone I saw was wearing a poppy.
At 11am the bells rang in the church( just twice) the people just stood and bowed heads, even cars stopped in the street.
I was touched as I had never seen anything like it where I lived before.

LSemmens - 9-11-2009 at 12:37

We still celebrate remembrance day on the day! Some of the local schools in the city have been working around the Cross of Remembrance to plant a cross in memory of our fallen heroes in preparation for the day! Every town that has an RSL will conduct their own service on the day, too.