Why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t’was his intent
To blow up King and Parli’ment.
Three-score barrels of powder below
To prove old England’s overthrow;
By God’s providence he was catch’d
With a dark lantern and burning match.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!

Enjoy the fireworks safely. waveysmiley

Theravad - 5-11-2009 at 18:36

Thanks for the reminder of the verse :)

So what is everyone up to?

We normally go to the organised bash at my daughter's school but can't this year so are having a little bash here ( 14 of us ). we have been building a bonfire most of the year and it is now around 20 ft tall and 20ft wide. Unfortunately, I need to move the bonfire on Saturday morning as the kids insist I check for hedgehogs and other animals which are moved to a hibernation pile in the next field. Also need to ask my neighbour to make sure the cows are not in any adjacent fields. Also need to move my animals further away. Hmmm, maybe I will just have a beer instead :(

victor - 6-11-2009 at 00:13

Attended a parish council meeting and couldn't hear a thing for all those fireworks.

marymary100 - 6-11-2009 at 07:09

The LA where I work cancelled their big display due to health and safety concerns - really!

The LA where I live has its display tonight.

Glasgow story

the bear - 6-11-2009 at 07:18

It came, it went, very quietly considering other years,

I think the interest in Guy Fawlks is dying.

Health and safety and the cost are also knocking their nails in the coffin.

Regards the Bear

Swish Checkley - 6-11-2009 at 08:57

I thought it was quiet last night. I locked the cat inside and went for dinner at a friend's house. :)

giron - 6-11-2009 at 11:38

I suspect that most people will be having bonfire parties tomorrow night, so make sure your pets are safely indoors.

John_Little - 6-11-2009 at 12:36

They were talking about the demise of Bonfire Night on the radio. Saying that Halloween has begun to take precedence and how you don't see kids with guys any more.

I used to really love it. The penny for the guy thing; the choosing and buying of fireworks with your hard earned (begged) money and then the night itself with its bonfire and hot dogs and stuff.

The main reason for its demise was health and safety legislation and the fact that there are so many organised events these days.

Mary2 - 6-11-2009 at 13:11

I thought it was ironic that the local authority's health and safety exec stopped the local authority's display last night as it meant that more people than normal had their own back garden displays putting themselves and their families in possible danger.

Daz - 6-11-2009 at 13:25

There was very little going on here, and there seems to be even less going on at the weekend. We were hoping to take the wee fella to something on Saturday, (as last night wasn't appropriate) but so far I've only managed to find one event planned for Saturday...

LSemmens - 6-11-2009 at 13:40

It was great when I was a kid, the only problem here was the fire risk which eventually saw the demise of the "celebration". It was killed off over 30 years ago down here. I had forgotten all about it. I do find it rather anachronistic that we celebrate the "villain" of the piece.

marymary100 - 6-11-2009 at 16:39

It's that guilty pleasure of "sticking it to the man" possibly...

giron - 6-11-2009 at 19:00

Will you be letting off and banging away all evening, Matilda? lips_sealed

marymary100 - 6-11-2009 at 19:34

Hush now Betsy.

giron - 6-11-2009 at 19:39

A nod's as good as a wink to a disgraced Euro MP, say no more. ;)