Karl`s PC Help Forums

Irony
marymary100 - 21-8-2009 at 20:29

Often "Isn't It Ironic" by Alanis Morissette is cited as a prime example of what irony "isn't".

What do you think irony is?

Daz - 22-8-2009 at 00:08

Hmmm, not sure off the top my head TBH, but....

Jagged Little Pill was always played in the car back when Mrs D and I got together, and we'd go for our jaunts up on the Common etc...

Sorry for the immediate thread drift, memories and all that...! :D

Snowy - 22-8-2009 at 08:47

Irony is something I do usually on a Tuesday on my Ironying Board....Sorry Mary, I coudn't resist that one....:D
Irony?..I dont know, is it another word for strange?
confused2

marymary100 - 22-8-2009 at 09:32

:)

I usually deal with dramatic irony where time reveals that a situation or statement now seems false or incomplete.

Karma type irony would be where someone had done something awful to another person and then by a twist of fate ended up having the same thing done to them. If, say, a bomber ended up dying in an explosion just when they thought they had managed to get away safely. Or if a politician had castigated an opponent for their views on something , say for example being pro-homosexuality, and they had later been revealed to be that thing themselves.

LSemmens - 22-8-2009 at 13:32

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
:)Or if a politician had castigated an opponent for their views on something , say for example being pro-homosexuality, and they had later been revealed to be that thing themselves.
That would be hypocrisy........ I think!;)

Redwolf5150 - 22-8-2009 at 15:17

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Quote:
:)Or if a politician had castigated an opponent for their views on something , say for example being pro-homosexuality, and they had later been revealed to be that thing themselves.

Let's not get started on THAT again.

Don't want ANOTHER thread nuked.

:D

marymary100 - 22-8-2009 at 17:13

It could well be hypocrisy - it depends on the context of the revelation.

Redwolf5150 - 22-8-2009 at 17:25

Quote:
It could well be hypocrisy - it depends on the context of the revelation.

Or whose definition we are going by.

roffle

marymary100 - 22-8-2009 at 17:31

That too.

Badgergirl - 22-8-2009 at 19:20

Getting run over by an ambulance.

LillyPoP - 22-8-2009 at 20:18

i have that alanis song on her jagged little pill cd and i must say that there are much better songs from here. one of them actually has a swear word in, hand in my pocket is the song, but they play the edited version on mtv and on the radio omitting that particular obscenity.

scholar - 22-8-2009 at 20:43

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Quote:
That depends. . .

If the person said, "Homosexual acts are evil. I would never do such a thing, nor approve of anyone else doing them," while he did so, that would be hypocrisy. His representation of himself and his beliefs would not match the reality, comparing himself to himself.

But, a homosexual politician could certainly oppose giving homosexuals special rights, or oppose changing marriage laws to suit them.

Irony. . . I'm resisting any temptation to check how dictionaries define it. I wonder if it is a unique enough idea, that no other English word covers quite the same ground. I can certainly give examples--

The health food expert died healthy when he choked on a carrot.

The vegetarian was eaten by a hungry bear.

The vain author was barred from his own book-signing because his bookcover photo looked so much better than he did in real life, and they would not believe who he was.

The model finally got down to her target weight, but then she drowned when she slipped through the shower drain.:P:P:P

Badgergirl - 22-8-2009 at 20:43

Quote:
Originally posted by LillyPoP
i have that alanis song on her jagged little pill cd and i must say that there are much better songs from here. one of them actually has a swear word in, hand in my pocket is the song, but they play the edited version on mtv and on the radio omitting that particular obscenity.

Hello LillyPop!

Nice to see new folk around here, it keeps us in touch with reality!

Keep posting, and I hope you get into the swing of things and enjoy yourself. We all get on, like a family. We may get hot under the collar but it's only because we care!

LillyPoP - 23-8-2009 at 22:20

Quote:
Originally posted by Badgergirl
Quote:
Originally posted by LillyPoP

Hello LillyPop!

Nice to see new folk around here, it keeps us in touch with reality!

Keep posting, and I hope you get into the swing of things and enjoy yourself. We all get on, like a family. We may get hot under the collar but it's only because we care!

Will keep posting and thanks badgergirl for those kind words. makes a change actually as most forums i've seen it's like a warzone.

John_Little - 24-8-2009 at 16:57

Quote:

Excellent example.

victor - 26-8-2009 at 09:56

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Quote:

Excellent example.