Karl`s PC Help Forums

Whats everybody reading
the bear - 15-6-2009 at 09:58

Has anybody read anything good lately, fact or fiction?

Regards the Bear

LSemmens - 15-6-2009 at 14:11

A tour guide and biography of CS Lewis. Quite interesting as I've just come into possession of "Surprised by Joy" which was one of his that I had not read and find that it is referred to in the book I am now reading. Apparently it is an Autobiography.

John_Little - 15-6-2009 at 14:29

Two Caravans by the author of the Short history of Tractors in Ukrania

Nimuae - 15-6-2009 at 14:48

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
A tour guide and biography of CS Lewis. Quite interesting as I've just come into possession of "Surprised by Joy" which was one of his that I had not read and find that it is referred to in the book I am now reading. Apparently it is an Autobiography.

Joy was his wife - Joy Gresham.

Nimuae - 15-6-2009 at 14:57

I am currently re-reading (for about the zillionth time) "Lord of the Rings" by J R R Tolkien.

I gave a lecture and a workshop on Tolkien, his life and works, to some third year theology students a couple of years ago, and their college very kindly gifted me the beautiful centenary edition of LOTR.

The quality of the actual paper it is printed on makes it a joy to handle, and Alan Lee's illustrations together with Tolkien's own maps and drawings make reading it a real labour of love.

Edit: The 'centenary' in question was that of Tolkien's birth - the book is not that old. :)

marymary100 - 15-6-2009 at 16:10

The Duchess by Amanda Foreman. I haven't seen the film but am amazed by how many actual sources are quoted in the book as I'd actually thought it would be more of a story than an historical work.

waffler - 15-6-2009 at 17:19

The Prayer of Jabez

marymary100 - 15-6-2009 at 17:26

Quote:
Originally posted by waffler
The Prayer of Jabez
Is it working?

waffler - 15-6-2009 at 21:34

Dunno yet just started it

the bear - 16-6-2009 at 04:10

Please dont laugh, but I have just started the Complete Chronicles of Narnia. A beautiful large size illustrated copy was given to me some time ago and I have never read it.

I will need to know so that I can share with my granddaughter.

Regards the Bear

John_Little - 16-6-2009 at 08:24

I'm not laughing. I've certainly read the first one but I'm not sure if I've read the other two or just seen the film. That's the trouble when you read a lot, you cant always remember what you have read.

I've read a lot of Sharp Books but not in order so now find it hard to remember which ones I have read an which ones I haven't. Same with Pratchett.

scholar - 17-6-2009 at 04:17

I am re-reading the New Testament in the English Standard Version translation. (Reading Greek is much slower going. I read English Translations for convenience.) Right now, I have finished the four Gospel accounts and am in the Acts of the Apostles.

In addition, I am reading "Examination of the Council of Trent, Part 1" by Martin Chemnitz. He is one of the greatest theologians who ever lived.

the bear - 17-6-2009 at 04:41

The council of Trent sound to be a heavy book. The "Good book"is a favorite with us all.

Ere your retiring I'll say "Good night" to you Scholar. Sleep well my friend.

Regards the Bear

Springer - 17-6-2009 at 06:40

I'm always way behind in my reading but at last I'm reading The Da Vinci Code.

the bear - 17-6-2009 at 06:57

If the truth were known I must be 10 or more books behind, books I'v e bought others I've been given are backing up on me.

I enjoy James Pattersons books but he's bringing them out faster than I read them at the moment ( another one due in July I believe.

Regards the Bear

John_Little - 17-6-2009 at 08:11

Quote:
Originally posted by Springer

I don't care what anybody says. The Da Vinci Code was a cracking good read. I was rather put off by all the hype and got sick of the site of the author and his cynical enigmatic pretentions, but it was a good book.

Theravad - 17-6-2009 at 13:54

I am currently working my way through all of Raymond E Feist's books. Currently towards the end of the Serpent war set.

I remember reading a couple of these as a boy and have been enjoying re-discovering them (and filling in the gaps).

Also, constantly dip into my favourites, Russel's - history of western philosophy and the Visuddhimagga :)

T

Badgergirl - 17-6-2009 at 14:12

Quote:
Originally posted by the bear
Please dont laugh, but I have just started the Complete Chronicles of Narnia. A beautiful large size illustrated copy was given to me some time ago and I have never read it.

I will need to know so that I can share with my granddaughter.

Regards the Bear

I 'aint laughing!
I loved my Narnia books. I gave my boxed set to my cousin in the hope she'd read them and love them too!

I'm reading "Lizard" by Banana Yoshimoto. I've got most of her books, all comprised of short stories.
They tackle all kinds of relationships in modern life. Mostly set in or around Tokyo.

Springer - 20-6-2009 at 07:42

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Quote:
Originally posted by Springer

I don't care what anybody says. The Da Vinci Code was a cracking good read. I was rather put off by all the hype and got sick of the site of the author and his cynical enigmatic pretentions, but it was a good book.

It is a good book. I think I got put off by the hype, that's why I didn't read it before.
I'm loving it. I'm interested in codes anyway running a riddle site.
I saw the film on TV not long ago and liked it but the book is much better. All so believable.

John_Little - 20-6-2009 at 11:47

Its action from start to finish.