Karl`s PC Help Forums

How long have you been married?
LSemmens - 22-4-2009 at 14:14

I'm just being nosey here, so, if you don't wish to answer, that's fine. I'm also sure that some have never been married, and others may have married more than once. Judging by the comments throughout various threads, I'd hazard a guess that many of us have been happily married for many years.

What would you also say, contributes to the success of your marriage? What have you learnt as a result of your marriage?

LSemmens - 22-4-2009 at 14:19

Since I started it, I'd better respond.

I've been married to SWMBO for nearly 31 years. The success of our marriage has been our commitment to our God, and one another. What I've learnt is that "sh*t happens", it's not what happens to you in life, but what you do with it. SWMBO has not been the picture of health for many years, but I made a commitment for better or worse, in sickness and in health. My word is my bond and Deb thinks the same, so we're stuck with one another! Despite the hardships, we still love one another, and enjoy one another's company. I could rant on, but, you get the picture.

charles - 22-4-2009 at 14:56

49 years (whack that John) I would say that trust in each other is the main thing for happiness,and both support the same football team helps.

John_Little - 22-4-2009 at 14:59

32 years here. Down to being too lazy and not a good enough reason to change. And the fact that we seem to get on pretty well.

Shared interests and friends and all that. Apart from forums, that is.

Quaver - 22-4-2009 at 16:22

Married minus 1 1/2month;)

Anyone got cold feet before marriage?

charles - 22-4-2009 at 16:30

Quote:
Originally posted by charles
49 years (whack that John) I would say that trust in each other is the main thing for happiness,and both support the same football team helps.

SORRY THAT SHOULD READ 46YEARS

Swish Checkley - 22-4-2009 at 17:42

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver

I'm not sure I'd describe it as cold feet exactly, I never doubted that Mr Swish would make a good partner, but having previously broken off a five year relationship to someone I also thought would have made a good husband and who with hindsight wasn't at all right for me, I doubted my own judgement.

We've been married two years.
What's our secret? Not living together ;)

Quaver - 22-4-2009 at 18:14

Quote:
Originally posted by Swish Checkley
Quote:

I'm not sure I'd describe it as cold feet exactly, I never doubted that Mr Swish would make a good partner, but having previously broken off a five year relationship to someone I also thought would have made a good husband and who with hindsight wasn't at all right for me, I doubted my own judgement.

We've been married two years.

How often do you meet up?

delanti - 22-4-2009 at 18:19

Quote:

Sure did. I had just gotten divorced and after 14 1/2 years of marriage wondered what lied ahead for me. I me a woman who was going through divorce and we started dating. I could not believe I was so lucky to find a beautiful woman with a great personality and who seemed to care so much about me I was kind of overwhelmed. I never asked her to get married, one of our friends asked when we were going to and we just started talking about it and making plans as thought it was destined to be.

Then one day the gut kicked in. She had told me that she married the first time to an older man just to get out of her parents home. The second marriage was to a guy with money who could give her what she wanted. The third marriage was to a guy who had custody of his three children and since she could not have children it was a way to have a family. Then that day the gut kicked in and started with the questions. What are you doing, you are just getting out of one marriage that was bad do you want to get into another right away? How well do you really know this girl, it has only been 6 weeks? She has had 3 marriages based on poor reasons at the time, what is the real reason for this one?

Setting her down, I told he that I really cared about her and that possibly down the road a bit I might want to get married but not right now. That was 23 years ago and I have not seen her since. Listen to your gut!

waveysmiley

Topcat - 22-4-2009 at 18:38

53 years, and we still love each other to bits. wouldn't change anything, would have them all again given half a chance.

Topcat.

John_Little - 22-4-2009 at 20:13

Quote:

Only on the actual day, just before the wedding. I went for a pint to calm my nerves and then the rest of the day was great.

Quaver - 22-4-2009 at 21:34

Quote:
Originally posted by Topcat
53 years, and we still love each other to bits. wouldn't change anything, would have them all again given half a chance.

Topcat.

Awww... :love2)

giron - 22-4-2009 at 21:55

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
I went for a pint to calm my nerves

That's GPO training for you. ;)

Many of my former colleagues were so nervous, they used to down at least 6 pints each lunchtime! shocked_yellow

John Barnes - 22-4-2009 at 23:12

25 july 1962 making 47 years if I was 99 years old like Charles i would have been married much longer, we back each other up and treat each with love and respect jmb

ps Charles due to your ammendment consider your self well and truly whacked and I did not get cold feet but felt slight trepidation due to the change it would make in my life jmb nananana

waffler - 23-4-2009 at 02:09

25 years first time almost 6 this time :)

the bear - 23-4-2009 at 02:39

Gosh I did it twice!!!

First time 25 years, ( still friends, we brought up two fine boys between us ).

This time 7 years at Christmas, but have been together 16 years. ( we met on Valentine's day).

We just are, We love each other but we are "in love" Considering we're together 24/7 its a quite remarkable relationship

I consider myself to be a very lucky man.

Regards the Bear

John_Little - 23-4-2009 at 07:30

Quote:
Originally posted by giron

That's GPO training for you. ;)

Many of my former colleagues were so nervous, they used to down at least 6 pints each lunchtime! shocked_yellow

lips_sealed

Swish Checkley - 23-4-2009 at 07:45

Quote:
Quote:

Every weekend - Friday night through to Monday morning. We speak on the phone every night and e-mail each other during the day.

John_Little - 23-4-2009 at 07:51

My sister has got a job away from home and commutes back at weekends. Not an ideal set up, though. At the moment she is staying in "rooms" but wants to buy a place down there (Swanage) and move the whole family there.

But her husband is a builder and I don't think there is much work down there at the moment - or anywhere, really.

Snowy - 23-4-2009 at 08:38

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Every weekend - Friday night through to Monday morning. We speak on the phone every night and e-mail each other during the day.

Hi Swish, I found this on the BBC site and thought of you being away from your Husband for so long. Its a bit intimate so I hope you dont mind.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8013079.stm

waveysmiley

Swish Checkley - 23-4-2009 at 11:13

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowy
Hi Swish, I found this on the BBC site and thought of you being away from your Husband for so long. Its a bit intimate so I hope you dont mind.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8013079.stm

waveysmiley

That's a strange idea but rather sweet :)

LSemmens - 23-4-2009 at 12:30

Sounds like you were a very lucky man delanti. Did you ever find a partner?

delanti - 23-4-2009 at 17:13

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Sounds like you were a very lucky man delanti. Did you ever find a partner?

None yet but when I am out and about I keep one eye cocked to the side so as to not miss an opportunity. flowers_kf

liz - 23-4-2009 at 19:09

I was married for 2 yrs. heh heh.

We both jumped into it too quickly. There was too much financial stress and I think that is what ultimately did us in.
There are no hard feelings anymore. We still chat now and then.

charles - 23-4-2009 at 20:06

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes
25 july 1962 making 47 years if I was 99 years old like Charles i would have been married much longer, we back each other up and treat each with love and respect jmb

ps Charles due to your ammendment consider your self well and truly whacked and I did not get cold feet but felt slight trepidation due to the change it would make in my life jmb nananana

My problem at first was a 11 a month mortgage

the bear - 24-4-2009 at 02:31

Quote:
Originally posted by charles
Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes

Was that way back when te little man walked in front of the car waving a red flag? ;)

Regards the Bear waveysmiley

My problem at first was a 11 a month mortgage

John Barnes - 24-4-2009 at 13:00

only Charles will remeber the 1894 road traffic act doing away with the red flag . also when Charles was enlisted and they gave him his weapon he had string it himself as the yew wood was very stiff.
but he suited lincoln green very well.jmb

LSemmens - 24-4-2009 at 13:09

My problem was that I had a wife who didn't know her husband. She got a telephone call one day:

caller: Can I speak to Wally
SWMBO: No one by that name here
caller: Sorry, must be a wrong number

a few minutes later the phone rings again

SWMBO: I told you before there's no one by that name here
caller: Sorry, I'll try again

a few minutes later the phone rings again

SWMBO: I told you before there's no one by that name here
caller: I'm looking for Walter Leigh Semmens
SWMBO: Oh, you mean my husband!