Karl`s PC Help Forums

Returning Soldiers
John Barnes - 11-3-2009 at 20:18

I noted both on the television and the newspapers how a vociferous crowd of Muslims, a lot with the black masks over their faces in sharia ware were hurling abuse at a contingent of returning Soldiers from the midlle east, and the inflammatory slogans and insults hurled at them by this Islamic group. Should this be allowed or is it freedom of speech gone mad . I wonder what our American contingent on the forum think about the way these troops were treated in Britain? discretion holds me back from saying what I think about the incidents.does this happen in America as well ? jmb

waffler - 11-3-2009 at 21:52

here

What is Wrong with these people confused2

Daz - 12-3-2009 at 10:09

You see, this is hard for me, because we've all got to have the right to say what we want, otherwise what's the point...?

However, this was wrong, that me make that clear, they were protesting to the wrong people, they should have been having a go The Suits in Westminster, not the lads doing the dirty work for The Suits.

The thing is, even though these protesters were British, they don't care about Britain, they don't care about any country, they only care about Islam, and they see us attacking the country of Afghan/Iraq/etc, but to them, we're attacking Islam as a whole, which is more important than whatever country you might be born in/reside is etc, or we might be warring against.

LSemmens - 12-3-2009 at 12:15

Personally, these protesters should be sent over to those countries where these soldiers were killed to protest. They can argue about free speech all they like, but the first amendment does not make provision about where or when they can speak. I'd support any law that prevents these "protestors" from disrupting a very personal and private time for those who are farewelling a loved one, regardless of the manner of death. Protests inside cemeteries, IMO is just..... words fail me!

Mary2 - 12-3-2009 at 13:11

How can you send protesters who were born here to another country just because they are doing something we don't agree with. confused2

Most of us in this country have taken to the streets to protest something that we think is unfair and that is our right in a democratic society. These protesters however are cowards because they don't have enough courage to protest openly, uncovered.

If laws were broken they should be charged.

If no law was broken we either accept it or campaign to change it.

delanti - 12-3-2009 at 20:18

It is not exactly the same situation but when a group from a Church started protesting at Military funerals the American Legion came up with this solution.

Bikers

delanti - 12-3-2009 at 20:23

You do know of course I did get a chuckle from the article. Not long ago we were discussing that evil entity the KKK and the fact that they were masked. What is the difference between masked Rednecks and masked Muslims?

I think that all Countries should pass a law against wearing masks at public protests. If you are not brave enough to protest uncovered than stay home. waveysmiley

waffler - 12-3-2009 at 22:29

Quote:
Originally posted by delanti
You do know of course I did get a chuckle from the article. Not long ago we were discussing that evil entity the KKK and the fact that they were masked. What is the difference between masked Rednecks and masked Muslims?

I think that all Countries should pass a law against wearing masks at public protests. If you are not brave enough to protest uncovered than stay home. waveysmiley

here here well said

marymary100 - 12-3-2009 at 22:50

It would be good if all people intent on evil could be stopped by a "no mask/veil/balaclava" etc law. Just because I don't like what the KKK stands for doesn't mean I like religious fanatics any better.

Quaver - 12-3-2009 at 22:54

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
It would be good if all people intent on evil could be stopped by a "no mask/veil/balaclava" etc law. Just because I don't like what the KKK stands for doesn't mean I like religious fanatics any better.

How about no evil lawkewl_glasses

marymary100 - 12-3-2009 at 23:06

Yes...I'm sure that would work.

marymary100 - 13-3-2009 at 00:26

Lincoln The front page of this UK newspaper tells a very different story. The 20 protesters seem to have done the returning soldiers a massive favour in the long run. :)

LSemmens - 13-3-2009 at 14:58

I said send them over there to protest, Mary, I did not say deport them. I agree with their right to free speech as long as they also agree with my right to some reverence for a fallen brother, sister, father, mother, son, daughter, friend, or whatever, regardless of the manner of his/her passing. AFAIAC Cemeteries are "no go zones" for any protest!

delanti - 13-3-2009 at 18:42

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I said send them over there to protest, Mary, I did not say deport them. I agree with their right to free speech as long as they also agree with my right to some reverence for a fallen brother, sister, father, mother, son, daughter, friend, or whatever, regardless of the manner of his/her passing. AFAIAC Cemeteries are "no go zones" for any protest!

I too agree with their right to free speech as long as they respect my right to the same.waveysmiley

waffler - 13-3-2009 at 23:53

opk your link works but you cant see what the article says as it wont open

waffler - 13-3-2009 at 23:58

Mary Mary

Somehow I dont think you know how hurtful this is at a loved ones funeral when he or she has died fighting for there country.

marymary100 - 14-3-2009 at 00:32

Thankfully we don't have people doing that at our service people's funerals. Only in America, so far.

To again put this UK "story" in context, 20 Muslims with a political agenda loudly protested when one group of soldiers returned to the country. This was despite the fact that thousands of homes had been leafleted to join this "protest". Many "voices of Islam" are in fact self appointed bigots who represent only themselves.

Use the democratic process in America to change the law if you object to their practices. That's what the process of democracy is all about - or else we may as well just upsticks and move to the nearest totalitarian regime.

janet - 14-3-2009 at 09:52

MM - You're suggesting people actually *get involved*, and become active, to change the society of which they are a part?

You radical, you. ;)

marymary100 - 14-3-2009 at 10:02

Or alternatively just moan online and keep the status quo...;)

LSemmens - 14-3-2009 at 10:29

It's always rewarding to get involved and attempt to make a difference. Even if you don't effect change, at least you can say that you tried!

Quaver - 14-3-2009 at 12:18

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Or alternatively just moan online and keep the status quo...;)

I'll go with that! All talk, no action:D