Karl`s PC Help Forums

Such ignorance
marymary100 - 9-3-2009 at 18:08

Beer or death camp?

Quaver - 9-3-2009 at 22:03

Some where only 11 years old. Thinking back, I think I read the Diary of Anne Frank at around 10 or 11, until then, I wouldn't have known Auschwitz...

marymary100 - 9-3-2009 at 22:34

Interesting that so many were able to identify Hitler by comparison.

On a related topic my daughter was interviewed last week by the society who paid for her trip to Auschwitz last year to find out if it had had any lasting effect on her.

Quaver - 9-3-2009 at 23:52

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
any lasting effect on her.

Where there any lasting effect?
I would be surprised if there were none.

marymary100 - 10-3-2009 at 00:08

A lifelong interest in reading more about the war in general and treatment of the Jews in particular I suppose. She also refused to wear the boots again that she wore that day which I found odd. I suspect it is quite a traumatic experience for anyone who goes but for teenagers it may be even more so when they see the many photographs of the people of their age who died there just because of their cultural heritage.

waffler - 10-3-2009 at 02:07

I thought the Holocaust had been banned in schools .

janet - 10-3-2009 at 08:16

Quote:
Originally posted by waffler
I thought the Holocaust had been banned in schools .

Where in heaven's name did you get that idea?

I had a real barney with the RS teacher over the holocaust memorial trip for my daughter. I didn't object to the trip - I objected to his blithe assumption that 33 people would all be ready at the same time. He insisted, "It's good for them" - I suggested that the next time my eldest, who had been on that trip two years before, woke screaming in terror at 2 am from the memory, I should call the RS teacher to come help deal....

It's not that I didn't want CD to go, it's that she wasn't sure she was ready for it at the time; we'd have gone as a family later. In the end, she chose to go with the class trip, but I'm still slilghtly fuming at the RS teacher's lack of empathy....

LSemmens - 10-3-2009 at 12:23

Children should be made aware of the atrocities of the past in the hope that they don't commit them in the future. I grew up in a post world war society, but my parents, and those of my friends were touched by WWII and some, WWI. I was a child who came under the care of Legacy. a uniquely Australian organisation who's main focus was to care for the widows and children of servicemen who died defending our country, or as a result of that (my father's case). I grew up knowing of the atrocities committed although my father never left our shores. No child is ready to deal with the horrors committed in war, but, at the same time, they need to learn of them. If war ever came back to England, or America, or Australia, it will not discriminate, a child of 1, or and adult of 100 will still have to cope with the horror. Whilst I understand your concern about your children, Janet, I also feel that, ready or not, they (all children) need to learn the lessons, sometimes in such a horrific way, such that they never will condone the repetition of those atrocities.

I'm glad that I, nor any of my children have needed to fight in a war, but that won't stop me supporting them if the need calls. Should WWIII occur, and it becomes necessary, I, too would be willing to stand up and protect my country. (sorry, soapbox has been duly yanked!)