Karl`s PC Help Forums

Why
waffler - 9-3-2009 at 00:57

Why do they do this .

Nimuae - 9-3-2009 at 10:19

Quote:
Originally posted by waffler
Why do they do this .

Unfortunately we are living in sick world, Waffler.

LSemmens - 9-3-2009 at 13:05

Agreed, Nim.

Mary2 - 9-3-2009 at 13:05

And every Tom, Dick and Harry has the right to bear arms, apparently. The guns don't kill people argument doesn't really hold water in my opinion. It would have been much easier to disable an assailant carrying a knife than a gun for example.

If you allow such ease of access to weapons of destruction then you have to accept the fact that some good people are going to be destroyed in the process.

janet - 10-3-2009 at 08:19

Though, to be fair, it's not the first time a pastor was killed at an altar (Romero, anyone?) nor are guns always involved... 1170 springs to mind.

marymary100 - 12-3-2009 at 00:51

As we've seen today sadly, someone with a gun can take out several lives in a short space of time - even when the guns were held legally in a country with tight restrictions about who has access to guns.

People intent on killing can assassinate more people, from a greater distance, if they have a gun in their hand.

delanti - 12-3-2009 at 20:35

Probably one of those religious fanatics. Do you think the Middle East has cornered the market on them?

I do wonder which posters really read the article though. He killed one with the gun but wounded 2 with a knife. So should we ban knives along with guns?

Secondly, he was standing at the pulpit in fron of the Pastor. Is that killing at long range? I just hate it when people take an article and try to put their own spin on it. waggyfinger

marymary100 - 12-3-2009 at 20:59

The comments I made were about the ability of gunmen in general to kill many from a distance, particularly in view of what happened in Germany this week and in other schools in the past.

There is no spin.

People die in greater numbers when somebody goes out of control with a gun in their hand.waggyfinger

some schools

janet - 12-3-2009 at 22:35

Quote:
Originally posted by delanti
Probably one of those religious fanatics. Do you think the Middle East has cornered the market on them?

I do wonder which posters really read the article though. He killed one with the gun but wounded 2 with a knife. So should we ban knives along with guns?

Secondly, he was standing at the pulpit in fron of the Pastor. Is that killing at long range? I just hate it when people take an article and try to put their own spin on it. waggyfinger

Actually, that was kind of my point....

scholar - 13-3-2009 at 00:30

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
People die in greater numbers when somebody goes out of control with a gun in their hand.waggyfinger
[/url]
Unless, of course, the others are armed and can drop the would-be murderer before he gets off a shot.

Many a would-be criminal has discarded his criminal plans at the knowledge that the lawful armed citizens around him greatly outnumber him. Of course, if you pass laws which disarm them, he becomes the one with the lethal advantage.

Do you recall the incident, a few years ago, in which one of the church's members was armed, and shot the attacker? Well done, say I.

marymary100 - 13-3-2009 at 07:38

As a Scot whose daughter is the same age as the murdered Dunblane 5 year olds would have been, you will never get me to agree that owning guns and being prepared to murder or be murdered is a good thing...

The anniversary of this shocking event is in fact this week and Scots have not forgotten.

LSemmens - 13-3-2009 at 15:04

It does seem strange that, in a country where there is a large preponderance of legal gun ownership, there also seems to be a much greater death rate of innocent victims of deranged gunmen and criminals than in countries where legal gun ownership is far more tightly controlled. We've had this discussion many times in the past, no one is going to convince the "pro gun" lobby any more than they are going to convince those of us who are, perhaps, a little more rational (tongue firmly in cheek on the last comment, ok!)

delanti - 13-3-2009 at 18:50

Quote:
As a Scot whose daughter is the same age as the murdered Dunblane 5 year olds would have been, you will never get me to agree that owning guns and being prepared to murder or be murdered is a good thing...

The anniversary of this shocking event is in fact this week and Scots have not forgotten.

You do not have to agree that owning guns is good. I can respect your opinion as long as you respect my opinion in the opposite. flowers_kf

marymary100 - 13-3-2009 at 18:52

Quote:
Quote:

You do not have to agree that owning guns is good. I can respect your opinion as long as you respect my opinion in the opposite. flowers_kf
That's a given. :)

Quaver - 13-3-2009 at 19:31

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
[/url]
Unless, of course, the others are armed and can drop the would-be murderer before he gets off a shot.

Kind of like in Cowboy films?
Everyone shooting each other?
Better have properly trained/vetted people (police/pastors/teachers) handle guns.

waffler - 13-3-2009 at 23:40

here

Happened just down the road from here earlier this week

delanti - 14-3-2009 at 01:28

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
Better have properly trained/vetted people (police/pastors/teachers) handle guns.

Just out of curiosity, if someone was breaking into your house and you call the police, how long would it take for them to arrive at your residence? This question is not just for Quaver, but everyone. Where I lived in NY it was very rural and it was not uncommon to have to wait 20 to 30 minutes for police to respond to a call. I have had to wait morethan 45 minutes for them to respond to a call. As for the preacher or a teacher protecting me, thanks but no thanks. Between my time in the Military and as a Police officer, I have had more training than the average Joe and am quite capable in taking care of myself.

And the term "To serve and protect" that you see on Police cars is a fallacy. I know of very few cases wherethey actually protect any one. By the time they arrive what ever was going to happen has happened, all they do is get to write the report. waveysmiley

marymary100 - 14-3-2009 at 09:44

15-30 minutes depending on how many call outs they get I suppose as we are pretty rural. However as the person who breaks into my house is unlikely to have a gun themselves it's not quite as urgent as in your society.

My neighbour called in a knife fight in the middle of the night a few months ago. The police got here in 10 minutes and one of the young men was locked up for a few months. He's what we might call a bad'un but the truth is that even in his baddest moments he doesn't have access to the kinds of weapons that kill en masse at a distance.

I can also defend myself, I just don't need a gun to do it here.waveysmiley

LSemmens - 14-3-2009 at 10:20

Our local copper is only a couple of minutes away, if she is in town. If, out on patrol, the next nearest is about 20 minutes away.

Quaver - 14-3-2009 at 12:28

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, if someone was breaking into your house and you call the police, how long would it take for them to arrive at your residence?

Don't know, and if the police came, would they bring their guns? Don't know that either:D

scholar - 15-3-2009 at 04:05

On the event which prompted this thread--I would like to observe how fortunate that the killer's gun jammed after only a single death--and that, a man well-prepared to meet his Maker. Might the Lord, or one of His angels, have directly intervened here? I do not know it to be so, but neither will I be surprised if I someday learn that it was so.:)

Quaver - 15-3-2009 at 17:15

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
a man well-prepared to meet his Maker.

He may have been prepared, but I doubt his family were:(.