Karl`s PC Help Forums

Pluto - unfairly downgraded
marymary100 - 6-3-2009 at 20:46

Quote:
Illinois state governors have resolved to take action and reinstate Pluto as a planet. What's more, they have announced their intention to name Friday 13 March 2009 "Pluto Day", to mark its discovery in 1930 by Clyde Tombaugh, who happened to be born on a farm in the state.

:D

John_Little - 6-3-2009 at 22:06

Right 'n' all!
I
I haven't felt quite right since Pluto was downgraded. It felt like a kick up Uranus.

marymary100 - 6-3-2009 at 22:29

It was a shock when the planet count was depluted. ;)

John Barnes - 6-3-2009 at 23:10

You must remember Pluto does not orbit within the solar plane as the other 8 do and because it does not aquire the amount of mass it can only be classed as a planetoid there are larger planetoids within the Kuiper belt than Pluto that is why it had to be downgraded . jmb

janet - 7-3-2009 at 00:19

Science here, Illinois there.

Heh.

LSemmens - 7-3-2009 at 11:17

Ah! But! Why downgrade Pluto? It's just doing what it's always done and no one objected to it being a Planet before! Maybe those bigger rocks in the Kuiper Belt should be upgraded, after all, they have as much right to be there as Pluto does! Just because it's a little bit different, we all like to be different, imagine, just 'cause it orbits outside the circle, it loses its title! I'm orl affendud!

scholar - 8-3-2009 at 00:18

I wonder, how did the people of Pluto get the bribe to the Illinois politicians?:P:P:P

Katzy - 8-3-2009 at 20:34

Pluto isn't just Pluto. It's Charon, too.

As for it's orbit being weird, you can say that of both Mercury (Always has the same face to the sun) and Uranus or Neptune (whichever one has it's axis almost pointing at the sun).
Also, Neptune's orbit's so elliptical that it occasionally orbits outside of Pluto's.

As it 'appens, on July 12, 2011, Neptune will have completed the first full orbit since its discovery in 1846, although it won't appear at its exact discovery position in our sky because the Earth will be in a different location in its 365.25-day orbit.

waffler - 10-3-2009 at 02:00

Who cares about Pluto does it really matter ??? I think there are lots more important things in life , than a speck of light in the night sky.

LSemmens - 10-3-2009 at 11:56

Be careful Waffler, you don't want a Plutonian hear you say that! They're the ones who were part of the consortium with the Vogons to get rid of earth so that they could put in a hyperspace bypass. Fortunately, it hasn't happened......yet!

Mary2 - 10-3-2009 at 13:00

Well Waffler I'm sure some people might feel in a similar way about - say - football teams.

It's good to talk! waveysmiley

Badgergirl - 10-3-2009 at 15:14

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Be careful Waffler, you don't want a Plutonian hear you say that! They're the ones who were part of the consortium with the Vogons to get rid of earth so that they could put in a hyperspace bypass. Fortunately, it hasn't happened......yet!

He'll be long gone by the time the Plutonian's hear it!

waffler - 10-3-2009 at 19:37

Quote:
Originally posted by Mary2
Well Waffler I'm sure some people might feel in a similar way about - say - football teams.

It's good to talk! waveysmiley

Is that football or soccer waveysmiley

John Barnes - 11-3-2009 at 20:08

Quote:
Originally posted by Badgergirl
Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens

He'll be long gone by the time the Plutonian's hear it!

Why, it only takes about 6 hours to send a radio message to Pluto

and you are right Mary it is of the same level of importance than to keep reading about the progress of football teams .jmb

waffler - 11-3-2009 at 21:57

I reckon Charles would dispute that . :)