Karl`s PC Help Forums

Crazy US courses
Faolan - 27-2-2009 at 16:55

You couldn't make this up even if you wanted to:

Colleges

marymary100 - 27-2-2009 at 17:52

I can see merit in at least some of them.

Daz - 27-2-2009 at 20:52

Four, Five and Eight got me interested... Ok, only Five and Eight really, providing it was only WonderWoman.... :P :D

John_Little - 27-2-2009 at 22:07

I could relate to the Star Trek and Philosophy and the Simpsons and Philosophy ones. There's a lot of interesting stuff in both of those programmes - amazingly so in the Simpsons case. what an excellently deep programme that is,

scholar - 28-2-2009 at 04:04

Quote:
Somewhat similar to the zombie class, the University of Wisconsin-Madison offers a Vampire Class that studies vampires in film and literature. Main assignments include watching and reading Dracula, reading vampire novels, and researching the culture of vampires throughout the centuries.
from one of the responses

marymary100 - 28-2-2009 at 12:32

And...?

LSemmens - 1-3-2009 at 11:41

I can see value in many of those classes. I'd not want to base my thesis on some of them, but, I'm sure most of them would actually be quite an interesting course, with many opportunities for further study. As to the vampire study, Scholar, I believe our own resident lecturer, Janet, has actually taught courses on just that subject. She will correct me if I'm wrong.

janet - 1-3-2009 at 14:26

I've taught university level courses on magic, magick, vampires, etc.

I'd suggest before slagging off the idea, people investigate the academic work on such things, including monster theory, theories of othering, etc.

LSemmens - 2-3-2009 at 12:02

Thank you for your input Janet. For those who, perhaps, do not understand the reasoning behind some of the topics under discussion, is it possible to give a brief synopsis of the desired outcomes from a study on, say, vampires? I'd attempt to describe what I'd think that such a course may teach, beyond the obvious, but, as I am not an educator, there would be nuances that I'd miss until someone hit me over the head with it.