Karl`s PC Help Forums

Rings - do you wear them?
Quaver - 22-2-2009 at 23:42

Do you wear rings? Are they perfect fit?

I don't usually wear them, but got an engagement ring now.
I had my finger measured and gave the size to him, who bought the ring he liked. It's loose...:(

Mum & sister said fingers get fatter with age, and it'll be perfect in no time.
What do you think?

scholar - 23-2-2009 at 00:08

O Quaver, during my marriage, my wedding ring slipped off and was lost a couple of times. I think it is common for people to get thicker fingers as they get older. My suggestion--do something to snug up the ring for the time being. I have heard of wrapping thread or string around the palmward side of the band to accomplish this, but someone else may know a better way.

Is this the first mention of the engagement? I wish you well.flowers_kf

scholar - 23-2-2009 at 00:15

Oh, as to myself, I am not presently wearing any rings. I used to wear some in my youth. In particular, I used to have one with some Christian symbolism. I don't remember what happened to it.:(

Lately, when I have seen any that interested me, they have been too small.

DeWitch - 23-2-2009 at 00:44

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver

I had my finger measured and gave the size to him, who bought the ring he liked. It's loose...:(

What do you think?

can you have it resized?
I still wear the same size ring I did when first wed and it has been many years.

waffler - 23-2-2009 at 02:19

You can get it fixed at a jewellers they can take some out or put some in .
The only ring I wear is a wedding ring .
Had a cygnet ring when I was younger and eventually it got so thin it snapped . :(

Faolan - 23-2-2009 at 06:02

I wear One Ring and One Ring to bind them all... Sorry wrong script :D

Seriously I wear a single ring more out of personal symbolism (not marriage!) than anything else.. I don't wear any other jewellry other than a watch.

Ironically my fingers seem to be getting thinner as I get older compared to most peoples but my ring is difficult to fix because of the nature of the metals i.e. rare.

Swish Checkley - 23-2-2009 at 09:20

I wear three rings all the time - my wedding and engagement ring on one hand and an opal ring that my great grandfather gave my grandmother on the other hand.
You'll find that rings get loose when it is cold and tight when you are hot. Your ring may be too loose if you're cold? But it might be worth considering getting it re-sized as it would be awful to lose it. :(

Quaver - 23-2-2009 at 09:55

Quote:
Originally posted by Swish Checkley
You'll find that rings get loose when it is cold and tight when you are hot.

I was hot when I got it measured.
Quote:
Your ring may be too loose if you're cold? But it might be worth considering getting it re-sized as it would be awful to lose it. :(

scared_stiff

LSemmens - 23-2-2009 at 13:07

I was half way through a response when I got one of those BSOD's! So, I shall try again. If you are in a job where loose jewellery is a hazard to your health then it is wise to store such things away, for years my wedding band lived around my neck, now it is on my finger. I would recommend having the ring resized so that it fits properly, the last thing that you need is to have it slide off your finger whilst washing hands or swimming. (Lost my first ring whilst swimming, and it was a snug fit) I also lost one whilst working on my verandah (porch in Americanese), still haven't found that one although the area is paved.

Mary2 - 23-2-2009 at 13:10

I seldom wear jewellery to work but keep it for special occasions. there is no doubt that when newly engaged girls like to wear their rings so I'd get it resized if I were you -small enough not to fall off in cold weather at least.:)

Badgergirl - 23-2-2009 at 15:06

I wear my engagement ring (which is gold and dainty) all the time, but sometimes I put other silver rings on.

If I am in other rings, it's from a large collection of silver ones, from dainty to full-finger with spikes and hinges!

I nearly always put four on my right hand and three on my left, so the look isn't too symetrical,and I try and have them all compliment eachother.

Think Pheobe from F.R.I.E.N.D.S, who often did the same.

Quaver - 23-2-2009 at 21:57

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Lost my first ring whilst swimming, and it was a snug fit

I would never swim with my ringlips_sealed

Quaver - 23-2-2009 at 21:57

Quote:
Originally posted by Badgergirl

Has it ever fallen off?

Quaver - 23-2-2009 at 21:59

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
I have heard of wrapping thread or string around the palmward side of the band to accomplish this

Hmmm....

Quote:
Is this the first mention of the engagement? I wish you well.flowers_kf

Thankswaveysmiley

Badgergirl - 23-2-2009 at 23:21

Quote:
Quote:

Has it ever fallen off?

None have as yet.
My engagement ring is (so far) snug. I'll take it off when I marry, because I was raised not to wear gold and silver together, and I'd have a silver, platinum or white gold wedding band.

Nimuae - 23-2-2009 at 23:28

Quote:

What do you think?

You can buy (from a jeweler) a small devise known as a keeper - it stop your ring from slipping off and becoming lost. They are adjustable so whether fingers are fatter or slimmer as you grow older you know your rings are safe.

I wear three ring all the time - a small silver aum symbol on my right hand. A silver rose, middle finger, left hand, and a large (and very lovely), amethyst, third finger, left hand.

Quaver - 23-2-2009 at 23:28

Quote:
I was raised not to wear gold and silver together,

Why was thatconfused2

Nimuae - 23-2-2009 at 23:32

Quote:
Quote:

Why was thatconfused2

LOL I was told that is was 'bad taste' - but no-one could ever explain why!!!

the bear - 24-2-2009 at 02:35

Yes I wear a wedding ring, I had to have it specialy made its
Z+7.5 that makes it just 22mm in diameter, and very heavy, cost a fortune.

Mrs Bear wears a diamond engagement ring, and a wedding ring which I had set with 4 blue fire diamonds a couple of years ago because her fingers dont allow for the wearing of an eternity ring.

Regards the Bear

janet - 24-2-2009 at 07:21

I no longer wear my wedding ring but tend to wear a ring on that finger, as it's obvious that there *should* be a ring there - the indentation is still obvious.

Daz - 24-2-2009 at 09:43

Mrs Daz never takes off her rings, apparently there's some old superstition to it. (That I forget now!)

We had her both her rings sized professionally at a local Indy jewellers, didn't cost much IIRC. But she wears other rings too, and they all fit properly too.

I think I've said this before, but WTH, years ago, when we were kids we were at a shingle beach, and Dad was throwing "skimmers" with us, after a while we went back the car, where Dad realised he'd lost a very large and quite valuable sovereign ring. We searched that beach for hours, Dad even went back on his own the next day but obviously the ring was lost forever....

Quaver - 25-2-2009 at 22:22

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
the ring was lost forever....

Sad:(

I've decided to wear the ring on my middle finger for the time being;)

marymary100 - 25-2-2009 at 22:45

Daz's story reminded me that my dad lost his wedding ring last year because it slipped off his finger when he was shopping and because he was preoccupied he didn't notice but an honest soul handed it in to the police station and he got it back. The man wouldn't accept a reward. kewl_glasses

Quaver - 26-2-2009 at 00:59

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Daz's story reminded me that my dad lost his wedding ring last year because it slipped off his finger when he was shopping and because he was preoccupied he didn't notice but an honest soul handed it in to the police station and he got it back. The man wouldn't accept a reward. kewl_glasses

Lucky dadkewl_glasses

janet - 26-2-2009 at 08:58

A school friend's mother lost the diamond out of her engagement ring while rooting around in the frozen turkeys at a supermarket - just before Thanksgiving!

The shop was brilliant - they removed all the turkeys, defrosted that entire freezer - and found the stone!

Badgergirl - 26-2-2009 at 10:50

Quote:
Quote:

Why was thatconfused2

Twas bad taste, dunno why, but I can't shake off the notion that it is.
I guess I also don't like gold very much, so try and swamp the ring under all my silver.

LSemmens - 26-2-2009 at 11:54

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
A school friend's mother lost the diamond out of her engagement ring while rooting around in the frozen turkeys at a supermarket - just before Thanksgiving!

The shop was brilliant - they removed all the turkeys, defrosted that entire freezer - and found the stone!

Good story, Janet, the store would have made more than one customer for life with that sort of service. I can't see it happening too often these days. SWMBO has lost the occasional diamond from her rings, in most cases insurance covered the loss, and the others, we paid for them as they were only chips.

Quaver - 26-2-2009 at 22:22

Quote:

shocked_yellow

scholar - 26-2-2009 at 23:00

Quote:
Quote:

shocked_yellow
Hmmmm. . .
Defrosting the freezer doesn't necessarily mean all the food items in it were thawed as well. I would think they would examine each frozen bird in detail, and then put it in another freezer.

Janet, did they sacrifice the food?

Redwolf5150 - 27-2-2009 at 03:36

I wear a Celtic band on my left ring finger as a symbol of my love for Jackie.

It's made of inexpensive silver and we got it at a tourist place in the southern part of the state four years ago.

I wear it because she gave it to me. It was a small token of her love that means more than the price of the bauble to me. It's also held up better than my previous wedding bands did.

Other than that one ring, I'm not big on jewelry. A watch is the only other piece of "jewelry" I wear daily.

kewl_glasses