Karl`s PC Help Forums

Now that you can get married anywhere
marymary100 - 1-10-2008 at 21:41

Where would your ideal location be?

link

Daz - 1-10-2008 at 23:12

As strange as this may sound coming from me, it has to be a church. (Traditionalist at heart you see.) ;)

All the other choices just seem a pit "plastic" for me...

Thankfully Mrs D was/is of the mind, and we found a good, open minded friendly vicar, who would take us on, due to Mrs D being a divorcee....

Swish Checkley - 2-10-2008 at 07:31

Well that's not strictly true. You can't get married anywhere in England, a licenced premises is still required.
I liked the idea of getting married in a castle but couldn't justify the cost.

John_Little - 2-10-2008 at 07:58

Quite hypocritically of me, I'm glad I got married in a church. But then my bride and her parents were active members at the time.

LSemmens - 2-10-2008 at 08:45

I was married in a church, my daughter, was married in a friends garden. The vows that are made are the important part, location, is really secondary (or even further down the list).

Swish Checkley - 2-10-2008 at 09:31

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I was married in a church, my daughter, was married in a friends garden. The vows that are made are the important part, location, is really secondary (or even further down the list).

The dress is much more important than the location ;)

John_Little - 2-10-2008 at 10:19

Typical!

the bear - 3-10-2008 at 07:43

We were married in a Priory, just over the border in North Wales, a beauitiful building, full of charm and atmosphere, to us it was a special place.
The grounds were ideal for the photographs, winding paths, hidden grottos and an aged stone fountain preceded by a lawn, with a back drop of old yew and pine trees.

The whole place was rather mystical, with its own magic, very much like the day.

Best regards the Bear.

janet - 3-10-2008 at 08:00

Spur of the moment, middle of the woods, just the bare minimum of people there for an exchange of vows...

John_Little - 3-10-2008 at 09:51

Sounds very pagan, Janet.

janet - 3-10-2008 at 10:35

A contract is a contract... it only sounds "Pagan" because they were around first. :)

LSemmens - 3-10-2008 at 11:48

I won't argue with that Janet!

Badgergirl - 3-10-2008 at 15:24

Middle of a woodland, but my In-Laws would scoff.

So a Castle!

I've been thinking. In order to stop worrying about getting it "right" and since I've so many different "perfect" wedding ideas...

If the date is set in Spring, it's a Celtic style dress and theme.
Summer then I'm not sure.
Autumn and it's Gothy with a lord of the ringsy feel.
Winter and it's Medieval!
Good plan huh?

I guess I'll have to ask J about this at some point! *hehe*

marymary100 - 3-10-2008 at 16:18

My cousin got married in the local castle. Getting up the hill was "interesting".

TooCute4Words - 3-10-2008 at 17:10

I don't believe in marriage...well ;) I guess I'd forget the words, ring, venue, future wife shocked_yellow

No seriously..I'd prefer to have a relationship based on love alone, without that piece of paper that says your married which means very little really, unless it comes to a divorce settlement :(

Why get married?

But if she demanded it, I'd choose a registry office. No stained windows or choir or echo chamber :D

Badgergirl - 3-10-2008 at 17:20

Quote:
Originally posted by TooCute4Words
I don't believe in marriage...well ;) I guess I'd forget the words, ring, venue, future wife shocked_yellow

No seriously..I'd prefer to have a relationship based on love alone, without that piece of paper that says your married which means very little really, unless it comes to a divorce settlement :(

Why get married?

But if she demanded it, I'd choose a registry office. No stained windows or choir or echo chamber :D

I happen to think that the "Piece of paper" has a lot of value while you ARE married. Why do you think the Gay community are still fighting for it, and why the Civil Partnership is such a huge step forward?
If you lost your loved one that paper gives you a say in carrying out their wishes, just for a start.

Marriage as a legal document was never drawn out as a means to secure your stuff in a divorce. It DOES help in that respect, yes, but it's there to give you rights as a couple as well!

Marriage is a lifelong commitment, and people still carry out the ritual as a way of confirming that fact if not before God, then at least to friends and the community as a whole.
Marriage says "Don't mess with us, we're a team!"
It says "I made a promise"

It's also as old as the hills and can be found in many many forms throughout the world. I'm not exactly a major supporter of tradition for the sake of it, but I guess I'm following my instincts.

It's very normal for a human being to want to conform to culture and tradition, and there's hardly any point rebelling on any principles against something that in the long run, is meant to be a happy day, however the ritual is carried out!

Just outta interest TC...You seem very concerned about divorce.
Do you think you are the "divorcing" type if you did get married, or are you a "Love 'em and leave 'em" type if you don't?

I don't ever consider divorce as an option. If I do, it'll come as a surprise. Why live in dread?

TooCute4Words - 3-10-2008 at 17:47

Quote:
Originally posted by Badgergirl

I happen to think that the "Piece of paper" has a lot of value while you ARE married. Why do you think the Gay community are still fighting for it, and why the Civil Partnership is such a huge step forward?

I understand that if you ARE married, it will be important:- "that piece of paper" - which I called it.

I understand that Elton John is married, so fighting for a Gay marriage seems silly. It is legal and moral - except in Church. Apparently it's a sin confused2

Quote:
If you lost your loved one that paper gives you a say in carrying out their wishes, just for a start.

I agree with that.

But that's just the way the law is written, so we have no choice in that case - sad really, as many of us don't get married, just choose to live together.

Quote:
Marriage as a legal document was never drawn out as a means to secure your stuff in a divorce. It DOES help in that respect, yes, but it's there to give you rights as a couple as well!

Marriage is a lifelong commitment, and people still carry out the ritual as a way of confirming that fact if not before God, then at least to friends and the community as a whole.
Marriage says "Don't mess with us, we're a team!"
It says "I made a promise"

It's also as old as the hills and can be found in many many forms throughout the world. I'm not exactly a major supporter of tradition for the sake of it, but I guess I'm following my instincts.

It's very normal for a human being to want to conform to culture and tradition, and there's hardly any point rebelling on any principles against something that in the long run, is meant to be a happy day, however the ritual is carried out!

I'm not saying that people shouldn't get married, if that is what they choose to do, then that is upto them. If it works, then great!! If not, then there is always separation or divorce to look forward to.

I know it's a ritual which has been carried out through the ages and it's not going to stop any time soon either, but it has been reported on the news that Divorce rates are up, so that might be worth thinking about.

Quote:
Just outta interest TC...You seem very concerned about divorce.
Do you think you are the "divorcing" type if you did get married, or are you a "Love 'em and leave 'em" type if you don't?

I don't ever consider divorce as an option. If I do, it'll come as a surprise. Why live in dread?

I guess I'm talking from 'past relationship' experience :(

If everything had worked out fine, I might look through more optimistic eyes...

Oh well.... confused2

janet - 3-10-2008 at 18:30

Quote:

Why get married?

Try inheriting without a marriage certificate.

And thank you for insulting all of us who are/have been married. We, of course, did not marry or stay together out of love.

TooCute4Words - 3-10-2008 at 20:45

Quote:
Originally posted by janet

Try inheriting without a marriage certificate.

You mean, if no 'will' is made?

Quote:
And thank you for insulting all of us who are/have been married. We, of course, did not marry or stay together out of love.

I'm sorry Janet if my opinon offends you :( That was never my intention. But equally, I have been hurt to, so please accept my opinion even if it doesn't echo yours.

Badgergirl - 3-10-2008 at 21:20

I'm not good with quoting, so in response to TC, No, Elton isn't married in the eyes of the law, he has a civil partnership.

I could enter one of those with my brother if we shared a home and supported eachother. It's a worthy and helpful agreement, but no, it's not a marriage in the "piece of paper" sense of the word.

I reckon I could FEEL married if I set up the ceremony all nice and said vows in front of my loved ones. But it still doesn't mean the law says so.

TooCute4Words - 3-10-2008 at 21:39

Quote:
I'm not good with quoting, so in response to TC, No, Elton isn't married in the eyes of the law, he has a civil partnership.

I could enter one of those with my brother if we shared a home and supported eachother. It's a worthy and helpful agreement, but no, it's not a marriage in the "piece of paper" sense of the word.

I reckon I could FEEL married if I set up the ceremony all nice and said vows in front of my loved ones. But it still doesn't mean the law says so.

No problem with the quote thing...I'm just like that (allquotedup) :D

I never realised that Elton John and his partner weren't married properly. I thought the law had changed and Gay marriages were allowed in a Registry office - but not a Church?

I am shocked at your Brother scenario :o That would be incest, right? confused2

the bear - 4-10-2008 at 23:21

Quote:
Middle of a woodland, but my In-Laws would scoff.

So a Castle!

I've been thinking. In order to stop worrying about getting it "right" and since I've so many different "perfect" wedding ideas...

If the date is set in Spring, it's a Celtic style dress and theme.
Summer then I'm not sure.
Autumn and it's Gothy with a lord of the ringsy feel.
Winter and it's Medieval!
Good plan huh?

I guess I'll have to ask J about this at some point! *hehe*

Just a suggestion BG, try Dounne Castle, 30 miles north of Stirling, a really nice venue, I have attended a local function there, I know that they can attend to your every detail what ever theme you choose. The Highland Hotel in the village offers lively accomodation for your guests ( even have thier own Highland Hotel whiskey with hand written labels) speak to Mrs Leigh the owner. a truely amazing hostelry.

Regards the Bear.

marymary100 - 4-10-2008 at 23:41

Or if you've got 7000 try here.

Theravad - 5-10-2008 at 15:51

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Where would your ideal location be?

Well I got married in a 900 year old Priory, it is the size of a cathedral so we thought we would hardly fill it but, being the hottest day of summer, about 300 tourists joined us as well :)

If I did it again, we would stand on the rocks on St Mary's Island (happiest childhood memories), sky clad, bodies running wet with the fret blown in off the North Sea ;)

T

Badgergirl - 5-10-2008 at 16:43

Quote:
Quote:

No problem with the quote thing...I'm just like that (allquotedup) :D

I never realised that Elton John and his partner weren't married properly. I thought the law had changed and Gay marriages were allowed in a Registry office - but not a Church?

I am shocked at your Brother scenario :o That would be incest, right? confused2

All a Civil Partnership is meant to do is tie your names together in important documents/financial decisions, it's there to secure you and your family.

It's a wise move for a gay couple to make, with or without the 'Hetro" overtones that some Homosexuals resent, as you don't need to say vows and be in love to sign the document. Hence, the sibling example.

I think there are about two countries who's civil wedding laws extend fully to gay couples. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the Netherlands and Norway? (Or Denmark?)

I have no idea how this will look when I post it. I always mess up quotes!

TooCute4Words - 6-10-2008 at 19:35

Quote:

All a Civil Partnership is meant to do is tie your names together in important documents/financial decisions, it's there to secure you and your family.

It's a wise move for a gay couple to make, with or without the 'Hetro" overtones that some Homosexuals resent, as you don't need to say vows and be in love to sign the document. Hence, the sibling example.

If it suits them, then why not?

I guess it's the best deal that's on the table, so they have to accept that.

I'm straight, so I'll never have to cross that bridge :)

Quote:
I think there are about two countries who's civil wedding laws extend fully to gay couples. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the Netherlands and Norway? (Or Denmark?)

I've no idea??

Quote:
I have no idea how this will look when I post it. I always mess up quotes!

It worked okay. It's nested quotes that take some work :o