Karl`s PC Help Forums

I Apologise
Dreamweaver - 28-8-2008 at 18:08

I was asked to move a post into The late night club thread, this I did, but it seems the "views" have altered to the "lesser" post.
I, Myself have no idea how(if it's possible) to fix this.
I await further advice on the matter.

My apologies for this mistake. :(

Quaver - 28-8-2008 at 18:15

It was 29000 views on 25th Aug, third in the running.
Anyway who keeps tabs?:D It's the most replied topic:king)

scholar - 28-8-2008 at 18:37

Who keeps tabs? The Bear and I do!

I do hope someone knows how to restore it to a number that is approximately correct.

I recall we have a member who's experienced in working with XMB, but who doesn't hang around here all the time. If Dreamweaver knows who I mean, she might send him an e-mail and ask if he knows how to tweak the totals.

But don't distress yourself over it, Dot.waveysmiley

marymary100 - 28-8-2008 at 19:13

Post counts are hardly important.

janet - 28-8-2008 at 19:32

Good heavens, who cares?

Surely it's the content of a thread that's important, not how many times someone has looked at it?

View counts are irrelevant - who knows how many views were one or two people?

Post counts as well - if all the posts in a thread come from one or two people, it's hardly an interesting post.

MM and I could have a very, very long thread about the intricacies of education that no one else would be interested in. But we don't - partially due to professional discretion and partially due to the fact that it's a *discussion* forum.

When we get to the point that post counts are more important than content.... we've really missed the point. Rename the place, "Post count forum" ?

Quaver - 28-8-2008 at 20:00

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
Surely it's the content of a thread that's important, not how many times someone has looked at it?

True. But that thread was unique in a way that it held post counts and views at the highest level:D

Quaver - 28-8-2008 at 20:02

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Who keeps tabs? The Bear and I do!

We know we know:D
Quote:
But don't distress yourself over it, Dot.waveysmiley

Yes leave it as it is, it's not that important ilovekarls_f

janet - 28-8-2008 at 20:04

And the Casper and Donna thread had lots of views, as well - but there are precious few of us here who even remember who they were, much less the content of the thread.

I just don't get the whole "numbers are important" thing, particularly when everyone involved gives at least lip service to the idea that quality, not quantity, is important.

I could post a series of one word posts and become MotD, and if I clicked on those posts over and over and over again, over a period of time, I could turn it into one of the most viewed threads.

But what would I be adding to the forum?

Nada, nothing, zilch.

scholar - 28-8-2008 at 20:16

But the Late Night Club UK is not a bunch of one-word posts over and over, nor did it get so many views by being refreshed, over and over.

Its theme is friendship--"Hello, how are you tonight, good to see you"--and its durability, the many posts and views, are a tribute to that theme.kewl_glasses
cheers:

Quaver - 28-8-2008 at 20:20

Just a harmless fun thread, nothing more;)

janet - 28-8-2008 at 20:21

Then it doesn't matter how many times anyone's looked at it or posted to it, right? :)

Dreamweaver - 28-8-2008 at 20:24

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
But the Late Night Club UK is not a bunch of one-word posts over and over, nor did it get so many views by being refreshed, over and over.

Its theme is friendship--"Hello, how are you tonight, good to see you"--and its durability, the many posts and views, are a tribute to that theme.kewl_glasses
cheers:

Of course it's been refreshed over and over Scholar otherwise the viewed would match the thread count. I mean refreshed as in " okay I looked but gave no imput" I will try to solve the problem but I won't hand over the Admin panel to anyone in order to fix it, and that includes the person you alluded to.
Of course members can start clicking the refresh button if that's what floats your boat.....

janet - 28-8-2008 at 20:27

Dot, who cares? Seriously - in terms of the smooth running of the forums, there are other things that are more important.

And cheers for all the hard work so far! :)

Quaver - 28-8-2008 at 20:33

Quote:
Then it doesn't matter how many times anyone's looked at it or posted to it, right? :)

Right!waveysmiley

the bear - 28-8-2008 at 23:35

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
Quote:

True. But that thread was unique in a way that it held post counts and views at the highest level:D

I opened the thread a little over a year ago now, it was started with a somewhat "tongue in cheek" approach. It very quickly became a popular place to post. The Late Night Club assumed a validity all of its own. As Quaver has said the thread became unique in the way it holds post counts and views at the highest level.
In the normal scheme of things it is the content of a thread thats important not the number of posts or how often the thread has been viewed.
The late Night Club how ever must have engendered a considerable following of members who if for no other reason than amusement have logged on and viewed it without actually posting.

The uniqueness of the Late Night Club allowed for fantasey and flipancy, imagination being a watch word, a cyber meeting place that became important to a lot of people. One of my recent posts announced it having had 29000 views. This site became a place for people to speak to other people. The off beat style of the threat itself, makes the "post count" and total number of "views" an intregal part of it and as such this count was followed by many.
I suppose its a case of the "exception that proves the rule"

It would be excellent if a way could be found to repair the problem and I'm certain that this will be addressed with all the technical expertise and proffessionalisum that we have come to expect from the forum that carries The Man's name.

I would like to take this opportunity to offer a vote of thanks to Dreamweaver for her indulgence in carrying on with the forum in Karls memory.
Thanks also to all the Moderators for thier continuing support.

Cheers Dot ilovekarls_f

Very sincere regards, the Bear

Dreamweaver - 29-8-2008 at 00:07

Thanks Bear.
But no matter how I try. I can't come close to Karl, I will always be a "wannabe" and as such, know my shortfalls, if you lose "views" then so be it. I don't mean to flippant, but I can only work with what I have...

Quaver - 29-8-2008 at 00:20

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver
Of course members can start clicking the refresh button if that's what floats your boat.....

Until 29000?:comp2)

the bear - 29-8-2008 at 00:20

Quote:
Thanks Bear.
But no matter how I try. I can't come close to Karl, I will always be a "wannabe" and as such, know my shortfalls, if you lose "views" then so be it. I don't mean to flippant, but I can only work with what I have...

Dot your a diamond, and doing a brilliant job. People on here are quite capable of putting pen to paper and doing the math if they need a running total, anyway being as popular as it is the thread will recover and attain high numbers again

Best regards, the Bear

Dreamweaver - 29-8-2008 at 00:24

Quote:
Quote:

Start clicking Girlie! :P

scholar - 29-8-2008 at 00:45

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Start clicking Girlie! :P
laughy_smilie laughy_smilie laughy_smilie laughy_smilie

What the Bear said in his longer post, goes for me, too.smokin:kewl_glasses

Quaver - 29-8-2008 at 00:50

I'm clicking, will do for another 10 mins, then bed.
Obviously I'm not clicking each one manually, I'm doing it 15 at a time (Firefox)kewl_glasses
Got it from 57 to 665 so far:comp2)

the bear - 29-8-2008 at 00:56

Quote:
I'm clicking, will do for another 10 mins, then bed.
Obviously I'm not clicking each one manually, I'm doing it 15 at a time (Firefox)kewl_glasses
Got it from 57 to 665 so far:comp2)

Sterling work Q not far to go. Let me know if I can help it was 700 or so when I looked last

Best regards the Bear

Quaver - 29-8-2008 at 01:01

Quote:
Originally posted by the bear
Sterling work Q not far to go. Let me know if I can help it was 700 or so when I looked last

Best regards the Bear

I'll get it up to 1000 tonight, then off to bedwaveysmiley

scholar - 29-8-2008 at 01:08

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by the bear
Best regards the Bear

I'll get it up to 1000 tonight, then off to bedwaveysmiley
Quaver, you are wonderful!huggydoilovekarls_f

Redwolf5150 - 29-8-2008 at 06:24

Quote:
Thanks Bear.

Dot, we KNOW you are not up to Karl's wizardy ways.

And NOBODY is holding that against you.

To tell the truth, I like your legs better, anyway.

:D

the bear - 29-8-2008 at 06:46

Redwolf you leave Dots legs alone, she needs them to excercise her dogs!!!!

Regards the Bear

janet - 29-8-2008 at 07:20

I just think we should be saying, "THANK YOU!!" to Dot and all the other mods, rather than suggesting that they worry about something like this.

So:

THANK YOU! :)

Quaver - 29-8-2008 at 10:39

Thank you Dot and all the mods!ilovekarls_f waveysmiley

LSemmens - 29-8-2008 at 15:20

I'll agree with the thanks to Dot, the Admin staff, and the other mods, too.

Post count as part of Late Night Club has been an interesting diversion, but that's about the size of it. If it can be restored, great, if not... too bad...next topic!

scholar - 29-8-2008 at 15:25

We love you Dot. Thank you, thank you.;)

the bear - 29-8-2008 at 15:28

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I'll agree with the thanks to Dot, the Admin staff, and the other mods, too.

Post count as part of Late Night Club has been an interesting diversion, but that's about the size of it. If it can be restored, great, if not... too bad...next topic!

Dats wot I said waveysmiley

I appears that Quaver has the problem well in hand and it is being rectified as we speak.

Hats off to a clever girl:wav)

Regards the Bear