Karl`s PC Help Forums

Followed by motorbikes
marymary100 - 18-5-2008 at 21:34

There I was, minding my own business, driving home tonight keeping within the speed limit when suddenly I spotted about 50 motor bikes in my rear view mirror. shocked_yellow

I worked out later that it would be the Northwest 200 competitors making their way home. It was a bit of a shock to see that many bikes behind me all at once and even more odd to see them all overtake despite the average speed cameras in the area.

Do you ride bikes? Do you raise money for charity by going to rallies etc?

scholar - 18-5-2008 at 21:59

I ride a bicycle, but not a motorcycle. :D

Many of my friends are motorcyclists. I wondered if my church might attract anyone if we put a sign out front, "Bikers Welcome!"

giron - 18-5-2008 at 22:21

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
I wondered if my church might attract anyone if we put a sign out front, "Bikers Welcome!"

A Hell's Angels gang would, most likely, ride into town and trash the place, if you put up such a sign! shocked_yellow

Arwenna - 19-5-2008 at 02:05

Our chapter does a lot of charity rides, so are boys must be Angles :) haven't been on a run in years, but still got a bike and leathers, at one time I was born to ride wild :) then old age set in

Sweaty-Socks - 19-5-2008 at 10:49

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
There I was, minding my own business, driving home tonight keeping within the speed limit when suddenly I spotted about 50 motor bikes in my rear view mirror. shocked_yellow

I worked out later that it would be the Northwest 200 competitors making their way home. It was a bit of a shock to see that many bikes behind me all at once and even more odd to see them all overtake despite the average speed cameras in the area.

Oooo Noooo. Nasty dangerous things they are. They should be banned.

SRD - 19-5-2008 at 11:09

No-one should be allowed to drive a car unless they have been an actived motorcyclists for at least 5 years.

Arwenna - 19-5-2008 at 11:28

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
No-one should be allowed to drive a car unless they have been an actived motorcyclists for at least 5 years.

:clap) Totally agree, but maybe 5 years in a bit hard :)

Sweaty-Socks - 19-5-2008 at 11:31

If they survive 5 years it would be a miracle.

sceptre - 19-5-2008 at 11:48

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100I worked out later that it would be the Northwest 200 competitors making their way home. It was a bit of a shock to see that many bikes behind me all at once and even more odd to see them all overtake despite the average speed cameras in the area.

Those particular cameras are set to take note of the front number plates and it's been a long time since M/bikes were obliged to have them in the UK .

I totally agree with the suggestion that motorists should
experience what it's like to ride a motorbike on the road
even just one day for a CBT test for instance.

To some of the members , CBT is the british "compulsory basic training".

I try to do one of the hospital runs up here when work permits .

LSemmens - 19-5-2008 at 12:26

I agree! Ride a motorcycle for five years, then drive trucks for another five and then, maybe, if you've managed to escape unscathed, be promoted to toy cars before being allowed to drive real cars.

When riding motorcycles, I treated every other motorist on the road as an absolute idiot, and I was seldom disappointed. I also noticed that I got more respect on the road when wearing Leathers than when I wore my work clothes, and all I had were rice burners, one day I'll get a real bike.

hawklord - 19-5-2008 at 12:39

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweaty-Socks
Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100

Oooo Noooo. Nasty dangerous things they are. They should be banned.

why do you say this ?

i've rode bikes for years and never found them dangerous - unlike car drivers who don't use their mirrors and throw fag ends and other rubbish out of their windows,

have you ever been hit with a half eaten bacon buttie or plastic coffee cup at 70mph ?

SRD - 19-5-2008 at 13:15

Arwenna: you need five years to become accustomed to all of the aspects of the road, to have less would hardly get over the youthful exuberance being displayed by so many middle aged men (mainly) who always dreamed of owning a bike and, now they can afford it, buy machines that are much too powerful for them to handle.
Sweaty-Socks: If everyone has 5 years bike experience then the casualty rate would drop phenomally.
LS: I'm not sure I'd be happy letting someone who has no experience of 4 wheel driving loose on something with a minimum of 6 wheels.

Quaver - 19-5-2008 at 13:19

Quote:
Originally posted by hawklord
have you ever been hit with a half eaten bacon buttie or plastic coffee cup at 70mph ?

Have you? lips_sealed

Arwenna - 19-5-2008 at 15:33

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
Arwenna: you need five years to become accustomed to all of the aspects of the road, to have less would hardly get over the youthful exuberance being displayed by so many middle aged men (mainly) who always dreamed of owning a bike and, now they can afford it, buy machines that are much too powerful for them to handle.
Sweaty-Socks: If everyone has 5 years bike experience then the casualty rate would drop phenomally.
LS: I'm not sure I'd be happy letting someone who has no experience of 4 wheel driving loose on something with a minimum of 6 wheels.

Do understand where your coming from, :D I started riding when I was 16 and it wasn't untill 4.5 years later I took my car test, that was 33 years ago and very few accidents in that time, even when I was taxi driving.

Quaver - 19-5-2008 at 15:42

Quote:
Originally posted by Arwenna
I started riding when I was 16 and it wasn't untill 4.5 years later I took my car test, that was 33 years ago and very few accidents in that time, even when I was taxi driving.

That makes you...........:D

John_Little - 19-5-2008 at 17:40

Anyone ever see "the Wild One" with Marlon Brando and Lee Marvin?

One of the most excellent opening scenes with the camer low in the middle of the road and a hoard of motorsickles coming over the brow of a hill.

Edit: Mostly Triumphs too.

marymary100 - 19-5-2008 at 18:13

When I worked at the local hospital in the children's ward every so often a bunch of bikers came bearing gifts for the children who were frequent hospital residents. They were a big bunch of softies. :)

hawklord - 19-5-2008 at 18:54

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
Quote:

Have you? lips_sealed

and various other items,

i had a cigarette land in my lap once, still lit,
i picked it up, accelerated till i caught the owner and threw it back in his open window into his lap,
he was making a lot of gestures and when we stopped at some lights, he opened his door,
i kicked my sidestand down and he quickly did a side shuffle, got back in his car, closed the window and locked it,
quite funny really

Quaver - 20-5-2008 at 12:42

Quote:
he opened his door, i kicked my sidestand down and he quickly did a side shuffle, got back in his car, closed the window and locked it,
quite funny really

:o Cool kewl_glasses

SRD - 20-5-2008 at 13:24

Apropos of nothing in particular, a mate of mine was riding down to Cornwall from Kent one bitterly cold day, he stopped alongside a lorry at some taffic lights and was too cold to get his feet off the footrests, lorry driver watched amusedly as my mate toppled gently to one side. :D

Quaver - 20-5-2008 at 14:30

Going along with SRD's apropos theme, my dad has a friend who is quite short. He drives a motorcycle considerable larger than him - he can't reach the ground with his feet when he's riding. Dad asked him what does he do when he stops at the traffic lights? He said he always stop near the pavement, so his feet can reach that. If there's no pavement near him, he quickly dismount, and stands besides the cycle;)

LSemmens - 20-5-2008 at 15:13

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
Apropos of nothing in particular, a mate of mine was riding down to Cornwall from Kent one bitterly cold day, he stopped alongside a lorry at some taffic lights and was too cold to get his feet off the footrests, lorry driver watched amusedly as my mate toppled gently to one side. :D

I can relate to that. I had to run my trail bike in before I was to go bush one weekend so, I only needed to do about 500Km and I'd done most of it with about 100K to go so I hopped on the bike fully decked out in two pairs of sox, two pairs of Jeans covered by leathers, shirt, sweater, Leather Jacket, Scarf, Helmet and thick woollen gloves. Top speed was about 50Kph through the Adelaide Hills. I completed the ride about 6 hours later. and could hardly let go of the handlebars, I'm not sure what the wind chill was but it was freezing!

As to your comment about the trucks. They don't accelerate very quickly, nor can you speed around corners, time you've scared the you know what out of yourself trying to stop on a dime, you soon learn to respect the road a little more, especially coming down a steep incline while fully laden!

Arwenna - 20-5-2008 at 17:18

Quote:

:D Yes, I know nearly half a century :D and Proud of it

scholar - 20-5-2008 at 17:44

Quote:
Quote:

Then the picture you posted must have been a daughter? greengrin

scholar - 20-5-2008 at 17:47

Quote:
Quote:
he opened his door, i kicked my sidestand down and he quickly did a side shuffle, got back in his car, closed the window and locked it,
quite funny really

:o Cool kewl_glasses
He does look rather angry in his avatar.
And he wears the oddest-looking motorcycle helmet.:o

Arwenna - 21-5-2008 at 00:16

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Then the picture you posted must have been a daughter? greengrin

I have posted pictures of daughter, the only way you can tell if it me, am pale skin and she as tan skin :D but I do think of myself as a Peter Pan :D

LSemmens - 22-5-2008 at 12:44

Quote:

You leave my mate Marvin alone! Or I'll have yo let him blow up the Earth, again!

hawklord - 22-5-2008 at 13:02

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Quote:

You leave my mate Marvin alone! Or I'll have yo let him blow up the Earth, again!

yeah - thats telling younananana

LSemmens - 22-5-2008 at 14:47

Hi, Hawkey! Marvin is actually the ringtone on my mobile. "Where's the Kaboom? There's supposed to be an earth shattering, Kaboom!"